trial is over and he is free to rape again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trial is over and he is free to rape again

the case went to trial for the second time in october this year after the first trial was a hung jury. another week of complete hell for me, though i think his barrister was nicer to me this time round, probably cos he saw what a mess i was the last time he cross-examined me. a woman on the jury was ill so we lost a day and as always the court ****ed up numerous times.

this time he accused me of showing him a video of my sisters snorting cocaine (my sisters would have been 9 and 23 so im sure the 9 year old wasnt doing drugs!) and said i had been stalking him (therefore creating a reason for me to make up the fact he raped me). what annoys me is the fact he says i went to where he worked regularly in the month of december but because he said this after i had given my evidence i could not reply to this and because i chose not to listen to him bacause it would be too traumatic and im scared his family would remember what i look like and therefore i would be unsafe i was unable to say that this was IMPOSSIBLE! i was in hospital detained under section!

so i asked the police whether he could be charged with perjury and they said the CPS wont pay for it. but if i can prove he lied then surely that means the trial was a complete farce? and it was.

i understand that crimes of this nature are so difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt but i had a strong case. he admitted to sex so therefore it was consent that was the issue. i had sustained injuries on my back from the ground which took 2 months to heal and yet these were supposedly from consensual sex? they were so severe child protection had to get involved (the pictures and documents were used as evidence) and had i been a few months younger i would have had to have gone to the police. i was a virgin and yet i was supposed to have just decided to have casual sex with a man i had met once before when i had never even slept with an ex boyfriend i had been with for 9 months (i know this doesnt not mean a person could not decided to lose their virginity in this way though) and after it happened i was so distraught a man heard me crying and screaming streets away and people were trying to help me, one man even let me stay at his home because i was such a wreck.

and his defence was i said no "too late" (ie he had finished already) and that i got upset cos he didnt want to go out with me and therefore a year later i went to the police.

ive had to leave my home because im terrified of him, im sure he will do it again because he believes it was his right. he lied about me stalking him (which i can prove). he skipped bail and went missing for months, then broke his bail conditions and was caught with cannabis.

no regard for the law at all.

his own barrister said he was sorry and he couldnt believe he got away with it.

but i guess the only good thing is i really appreciate the police now. my soit officer was amazing and still supported me until last week, sending letters to try help me move, giving me information about cousellors and generally just listening to me cry without telling me it will all be ok, when it wont. i thank god im christian and have justice in the afterlife to keep me going because without it i'd be making my own justice in this one.
    "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

"and his defence was i said no "too late" (ie he had finished already)"

I don't believe that! The law doesn't even require you to say "no", it actually puts the onus on the man to make sure you did consent!

That's ridiculous! Also why is no-one else on this site getting angry about this? Why are rape victims ignored here?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      "That's ridiculous! Also why is no-one else on this site getting angry about this? Why are rape victims ignored here?
      - I agree, why?

I am so sorry noone has replied to your post sooner, I do not come here very often. I hope you can find some way to heal, to accept and to find some normality in life once more. I have to go to court on Monday and feeling extremely worried about it. I am finding all too often that the men who have raped us are walking away free..... I hope this does not happen next week in my case but I dont have any high expectations. You can pm any time!

Take care x
      Life is full of options is just choosing the right one thats hard....

Comment

I wish I'd have seen this sooner, what you've gone through is terrible and I do hope that you get your time again and the conclusion you deserve.

I don't understand the legal system at all ................
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by isi View Post
          - I agree, why?

I am so sorry noone has replied to your post sooner, I do not come here very often. I hope you can find some way to heal, to accept and to find some normality in life once more. I have to go to court on Monday and feeling extremely worried about it. I am finding all too often that the men who have raped us are walking away free..... I hope this does not happen next week in my case but I dont have any high expectations. You can pm any time!

Take care x
          Isi, I wish you lots of luck for your court appearance on Monday. I hope that the truth will come out and you will be able to getr the closure you deserve.
          Best
          Saffron x

Comment

Isi you should be allocated a witness support person if you are worried at all.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Thanks Safffron and rights fighter! It will be a very difficult time as it has been the past 9 months leading up to the hearing.

So far the police and the support from the 'Haven' have been absolutely 1st class and cannot complain with the way my situation has been handled. I have been kept informed throughout. As far as I know I am taking a friend with me to stay with me when I am not in court. In court I will have my SOIT officer and the CID officer who have been with me throughout. I will have special measure of a screen put in place as I do not want to see him and dont want him to get a kick out of seeing me squirm when going over past events. Also there is going to be someone there from victim support who will be about all week too. They are using the video evidence I gave. Its all so scary!

Comment

So you have lots of support.

Try not to "big this up" - it won't be as bad as you think it is. I know from my own experiences in false allegations cases that defence barristers rarely "go for the jugular". They are more concerned with how the jury will react to their performances.

If you were "down south" I would come to support you to prove that those who support the falsely accused do not wear blinkers - we are painfully aware that there are REAL victims of sexual abuse. Some guilty people do try to hide amongst the innocent.

Good luck and please come back to tell us how you get on.

Comment

Thanks rights figher! as it happens I am down south.... not sure I would like an entourage though as it would just feel plain wierd with it being such an intimate thing/embrrasing and personal to say the least but thank you for the offer of support...

What is it that I sould not 'big up'? I was unsure about what you meant.

It does seem like I have a lot of support but inside I feel extremely lonely, as only I know what I feel!

What is it that you do btw?

Comment

I don't have to come with an entourage!

What I mean by "don't big it up" is that defence lawyers these days do not like to "attack" a complainant - juries do not like it, neither do judges. I don't think your experience will be nowhere near as bad you you think it might be. I would be very surprised if it was.

Trials I have attended where I've supported the defendant - their barristers have used the "softly softly" approach on cross-examination of the complainant, some times too much so.

Comment

nope, first time round the barrister "went for the jugular" and got in to loads of trouble with the judge. he "suggested" i enjoyed it and had an orgasm. after this i was a dithering wreck and my evidence was not as strong. he also kept trying to make me read parts of my statement that he knew i found really difficult (body parts and the things the rapist said), he also brought up my mental health and decided i'd had a mood swing and that was why i was so upset (obviously nothing to do with the fact i'd been trying to fight off a man about double my weight who was raping me). the barrister hadnt even got information about my diagnosis from a psychiatrist, just a list of possible symptoms and basically used psychobabble to convince the jury i was a delusional lunatic.

the system of the victim not being able to see the defendents statement but the defendent being able to see theirs means the rapist can make up his defence around the victims statement but the victim cannot provide proof to his false claims because she doesnt know what they are (eg stalking him when i could prove i wasnt because i was in hospital)

i am a psychology student (a level at the moment but uni in september if i can keep fairly well and not end up in hospital) so i have studied some crime psychology, including psychology of the court room. it was really interesting to see how the barrister implemented techniques in order to make my evidence weaker e.g going for the jugular, slipery slope (where he makes a statement like "your a confident girl, arent you?" expecting you to say yes, or fairly so he can then say "well then it is no suprise you approached x....", the other slipery slope is:
                      Barrister:you are certain x is the man who did x
                      Witness: yes
                      B: so you are fairly sure it was x
                      W: yes
                      B: so there is a possibility it was someone else
                      W: well i mean it is possible but...
                      B: so you arent completely certain it was x

thus creating reasonable doubt.

one day i'm going to write a book about psychology of rape, from event to courtroom and beyond. first i have to actually survive, which at the moment is the most difficult it has been for years. i recently went into a crisis house but it didnt help. i want him out of my life but i cant get him out of my head. he is in my dreams, i'm constantly scared i'll bump into him and rape seems to be everywhere (in my psychology course and english literature course)
                      "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Hi Friday

Sorry to hear you are stuggling. Try to hold on to the thought of Uni in September - focus on the future. This man has taken part of your past, don't let him take your future as well. You deserve better. Stay strong.

Saffron x

Comment

The real problem of these type of sexual offences is that it's your word against his.No other direct evidence like forensic.
                          I'm the other way,ie historic evidence made up by my old stepdaughter annoyed that the money tap was turned off after seperation with her mother,or some other reason.
                          I'm being put through hell,and have been for 4 months.I'm loosing my family abroad as my wife has had to move to work in terribly dangerous conditions,as I can't work myself without my passport.Also my health is in tatters.Visited the doctor today,he wants me permanantly hospitalised till the case is brought.
                          Surely the mental thing is the worst? The constant feeling of it taking over your thoughts,all the time really.Just can't get it out of your mind.Feeling it'd be better to die than to have to have it keep banging away inside of you.
                          You see it always,in nightmares,in daydreams,while out walking etc,just won't go away.
                          Well I don't know this case,it's irrelevant really,but I can tell you he's also suffering.I really can't think of a person who has this hanging over them who wouldn't.Guilty or innocent the pressure will be the same.So bear this in mind,you're not alone in your suffering,because he is to.

Wish you well,a real rapist getting away is as repugnant as an innocent man getting life for a crime he didn't commit.Hell on earth for all concerned.

Back to the court,if there is no real evidence then it will come down to smearing each other.There really is no other way.Playing with words to try to catch each other out.
                          To my mind this is not justice.The best actor is likely to win,not truth over lies.But what else can there be? I could easily make up a story tomorrow,and some poor innocent would be put through hell because of it.Alternatively I could have been suffering from a dreadful crime,and want justice to be done.
                          That's the reason why we both in our own ways have to face what we percieve is a hostile court,for justice.
                          Be brave,because you know right from wrong,and the only decent thing to do is to tell the truth,so that justice can be done.

Good luck,I'll say a prayer for you,as I know how much you have sufferred.

Comment

^sorry to hear about your suffering.

obviously i am glad the court cases are over, but because of him i am homeless, living with friends because i can't work to pay for a flat (bipolar and trying to deal with life after this). i cant find a landlord who accepts housing benefit in the borough where i receive my care and to move out of borough would involve losing my therapist ive had for over a year and a half as well as my mental health care team and all my physical health clinicians (i have seizures and osteoporosis). the council don't have enough housing to move me and dont seem to care.

more than anything i'm angry that i can prove he lied and the cps refuse to pay for another courtcase or even care that his lies meant the whole case was a farce.

to make matters worse i nearly bumped into him a week ago, had i been brave enough to cross when the green man was flashing i would have walked right into him. i felt so sick, i couldn't stop shaking. i doubt he would have done anything when he was with a girl and the police were on the opposite side of the road but it was still scary. i shouldnt have to live somewhere that means i inevitably see him.

the only consolation is that i doubt he would even recognise me if he did bump into me. but unfortuately i still have scars that mean he has not only left a horrible mark on my life, but also my skin.

Comment

Sorry to hear you are suffering, Friday. Seeing him at such close proximity must have been very frightening.
                              Try to focus on the good things in your life - University and your friends. This man has scarred you physically and mentally, but remember that the best form of revenge is survival - he has taken your past but he can't take your future.

Stay strong x

Comment

Working...
                              X