New definition of rape in sexual offences act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New definition of rape in sexual offences act

(Posted on old forum on Thursday, February 19, 2004)

The new definition of rape in the sexual offences act is out. What are people views,
    Is this new Definition a sufficient response to the difficulties of rape victims, and even the low conviction rate for this offence?

I look forward to see people think?

The Legal Definition of Rape

SEXUAL OFFENCES ACT 1956 S,.1(2) (AS AMENDED)

".... a man commits rape if a) he has (unlawful) sexual intercourse with a person (whether vaginal or anal) Who at the time of intercourse does not consent to it: and b) at the time he knows that the person does not consent to the intercourse or is reckless as to whether that persons consents to it"

This definition was later amended by the criminal justice and public order Act 1994 s. 142, omitting the word "unlawful" s. 142 also extended the definition of rape to cover male rape, and anal rape of a woman.

The offence carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Sexual offences Act 2003 s.1 RAPE

1) A person (A) commits an offence if-
    a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth, of another person ( with his penis,
    b) B does not consent to the penetration and
    c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.

(2) Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents

ONCE PEOPLE READ THIS CAN YOU LOOK AT THE QUESTION: RAPE PART 1

THANKYOU

Its ok, but still leaves a few grey areas such as should the definition of rape not just include penile penetration and oral non-consensual intercourse but anything that penetrates the vagina/anus i.e. objects which although they are sexual assaults. Can woman rape men? I know it is far fetched but it is not impossible. With 'date rape' convictions being low though maybe it should be classed as a separate rape offence to show that it does happen as societies stereotypical values seem to be getting in the way of convicting such offences!

Comment

Working...
    X