class bias??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• class bias??

whilst it's a weak case against me anyway, my solicitor said he couldn't imagine me being convicted for rape because i am 'well spoken'. was this an inaccurate, unprofessional thing of him to say or was he just being truthful and honest? does one's social background greatly effect their chances in a courtroom and especially in a trial of this nature? am just interested.

I think he was being realistic...juries are composed of a cross section of the population and will therefore include a majority of the 'average man in the street' i.e. folks who don't go on demonstrations or haven't been falsely accused of anything.

Inevitably they will form an opinion of the witnesses that are called to give evidence and equally inevitably this will influence their decision making.

Most career criminals are aware of this and their appearances in court are probably the only time they have ever worn a shirt and tie (and I include this comment to prove my suppositions that I've just made above!)

Elsewhere on the forum is some good advice, written by members with practical experience, on how to conduct oneself in the witness box.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
    X