New TV series about the work of Criminal Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV series about the work of Criminal Lawyers

Tv programming is awash with legal & police dramas which may or may not bear some resemblance to reality but ITV have put on a rather good reality series featuring criminal lawyers and their clients (first episode August 2nd @ 9pm)

I guess the programmes are going to be a bit skewed as obviously the clients are going to have to agree to be filmed (so I don't suppose many of us will be featuring in future episodes!) but nevertheless it is a fascinating insight into the work of lawyers and the machinations of the Criminal Justice System. Also, the actual court proceedings cannot be shown, so the production team can only interview the participants outside the courts.

A gem from last night was the news that there is now a new directive in place that trials should go ahead on the appointed date (i.e. the CPS can't roll up and ask for an adjournment just because they are not ready) this meant that the defendant (who was quite obviously guilty as charged) walked away as the prosecution were unable to offer any evidence as their witnesses had not turned up.

Incidentally the firm featured in the programme is Tuckers Solicitors.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

I watched that too - they keep very quiet about the new rulings don't they? How many times have we heard that cases have been postponed due to the other side not being prepared?

I do hope that now its out there it gets used a bit more often. They were a mixed bunch weren't they? I don't think I got one outcome right!!
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

The name of this program is "The Briefs".

Thank you Casehardened for it.
      Last edited by Boys don't cry; 4 August 2012, 08:23 PM.
      Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Originally posted by RFLH View Post
        I watched that too - they keep very quiet about the new rulings don't they? How many times have we heard that cases have been postponed due to the other side not being prepared?

I do hope that now its out there it gets used a bit more often. They were a mixed bunch weren't they? I don't think I got one outcome right!!

Unfortunately trials sometimes have gone ahead without all the disclosure being passed to the defence side by the Crown - which has meant the defence has not been prepared due to lack of disclosure - a failure by the Crown. This has resulted in guilty verdicts. 99% of the time appealing on that failure results in a rejected appeal application.

So trials have still gone ahead way before this 'new' ruling - resulting in disastrous miscarriages of justice. This is yet another red herring........
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I tried to watch the programme again on iPlayer, but for some reason it won't come up

However I found a précis on the web & the initiative is called "Stop Delaying Justice" but googling this phrase just threw up more confusion.

It appears to be a training course for the chairmen of magistrates so may not apply to crown courts, but there was mention that contested trials should go ahead on the date set for them, so this was what the solicitor used to get her client discharged in the programme.
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
            I tried to watch the programme again on iPlayer, but for some reason it won't come up
            I tried as well but there were only adverts.The reason,I suppose ,is that we only have a limited time to watch it
            Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Working...
            X