Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An enquiry if I ever get called to do jury service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An enquiry if I ever get called to do jury service?

Hi,
    My sister was recently took part in jury service. The first case she was suppose to be involved with was a child abuse case but as she is a playworker she wasn't able to take part in it. I'm starting my teaching career, so if I'm called up to take put in this type of case do I have to sit it? Also I am a survior of rape myself, if I was called up to sit in the jury for a rape case, would I be able to withdraw from that case. I know myself I would not be able to be objective and would find it very difficult to listen to events which may/may not have took place?
    This is just enquiry but one I think a lot of people might want to know the answers to.

I don't know but I would like the answer as well. I was called to do jury service but got out of it. If I am called again, I won't be able to. I suppose if you make it very clear there's no way you could give the person a fair trial, they won't want you there. There's part of me that's torn though. Even though if I sat on a jury for such a trial I would find it very traumatic, I also think I would be impartial. Knowing the experiences we've had don't you think if there was a hint of lying from the victim you'd be able to tell? It's a high personal price to pay though.

Comment

exemption from jury service

Hello

Yes, i am pretty sure that you can asked to be excused from certain cases if you genuinely feel that you would not be able to remain impartial. however, most people on jury service have predjudices of some sort, they just don't realise it. A close friend of mine recently did jury service, and was horrified to hear a fellow juroir say that as the accused was black, "he must have done it"

It is reassuring to know that at least you recognise that you wouldn't be able to maintain a balanced view of the evidence.

Comment

Working...
      X