Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bail and How it Works

Hi Guys

New to the forum and glad to see there is help out there for people like myself who do not have a clue when something terrible happens.

Basically my daughter who is 22 was in a pub a few nights ago and was caught up in a row over an area that was supposed to be 'reserved' as her and her cousin were leaving the area her cousin was attacked, my daughter turned to go help her and was grabbed by a man, she asked him to let her go of which he didnt so she swung at him and literally bust his nose open.

She was then held by the bouncers awaiting the police and was kept in the police station for 6 hours, her clothes removed for evidence, fingers printed, dna swabs and photo. She was advised over the telephone by a duty solicitor to say 'no comment', but I know what she is like and she wouldve been crying and saying everything not knowing that she shouldve kept quiet. She didnt know she could call me to be there as they had taken her mobile and she wasnt offered any assistance.

She is now on bail for 4 weeks and tbh I dont have a clue what to do next, she has never been in trouble before and is distraught at what has happened and fears for her job if the other party decides to take action against her.

I wouldve thought she was in self defence and that the police would have clearly seen he grabbed her and has bruised her arm with his strength.

It may not seem applicable but my daughter also has learning difficulties and is finding this whole experience extremely hard.

I would really appreciate any help and advice you could give

Pauls xx

Depending on the severity of her learning difficulties it could be that she should have had an "appropriate adult" with her during interview.

Have you taken a photograph of the bruising and got her to see a doctor to confirm how old the bruise is, it's whereabouts etc?
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I would have thought that she should have had a solicitor present at the interview, and not just a phone conversation. I know this happened in the middle of the night, but there should still have been a sol on duty.
      If this does ever get as far as court, this could be a case for "abuse of process"

As RF said, you should get her bruises photographed and documented, preferably by a doctor or another medical professional. If, when she was questioned by Plod, her clothes were taken and she was swabbed for DNA then they should have taken photos of any injuries as a matter of procedure. Do you know if this happened?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, we took photos today, but think we will try to get the bruising and marks recorded at the GP tomorrow for the sake of proof and dates. I dont know why the guy has not been treat the same, but if he has given a statement then we have his information to ask why this man has not also been questioned.

During her interview she was asked about the marks to her arm and hand and she replied it was where he had grabbed and pulled her.

The duty solicitor informed my daughter that he couldnt make it till 6.30am and just to say 'no comment' to any questions, which I think was a little too late.

Would it be in my interest to call into the station to speak with someone as to how this is all rolling out?

Comment

The police may not speak to you as you are not the "suspect" and she is over the age of 16 years.

Your daughter could make enquiries though.
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
          X