Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parole of sex offender

Firstly happy new year to everyone.

One of my abusers, one of many, was jailed for seven years is due for parole in March 2005. To my knowledge this individual has not shown any remorse and certainly has not at last admitted that what took place did indeed take place. What is the current standing for recieving parole here in the UK?

Kindest regards

Dan

Originally posted by Dan@27th December 2004 - 10:04 PM
    Firstly happy new year to everyone.

One of my abusers, one of many, was jailed for seven years is due for parole in March 2005. To my knowledge this individual has not shown any remorse and certainly has not at last admitted that what took place did indeed take place. What is the current standing for recieving parole here in the UK?

Kindest regards

Dan
    Hi Dan

As far as I know, as the victim you should be contacted by his probation office before his release. You will be asked how you feel about his release, but you do not have the power to veto it. Your comments will form part of a report which will be presented to the prison governor, who will then make a decision on whether he is a suitable candidate for release.

If he is on the sex offender's register, he will not be eligible for early release on a tagged/curfewed basis. However, most prisoners typically serve only half their sentence.

You can contact victim support for more details. I am not an expert, but I believe this is roughly right.

Comment

Hello Dan,

Happy New Year every one.

I can advise on this one in a bit more detail.

Anyone serving a sentence of 4 years or less has to be released at the half way point. Anyone serving a sentence of more than 4 years which is fixed ( ie not life) has to serve two-thirds of the sentence but become eligible for parole at the half way point. So, your abuser will serve a maximum of 4years and 8 months but can be released on parole at 3 1/2 years.

Saffron is quite right, you as the victim will be notified but your comments, if any, are not taken into account in the decision making process. That decision is not taken by the Prison Governor but the Parole Board who will consider the reports placed before them. Those reports are compiled by various bodies....Probation, Police, Prison Service etc.

The overiding question for the Parole Board is Risk to the public. If an offender has not expressed remorse and satisfactorily completed related courses to address their offending behaviour, then the Parole Board will have no information before them on which to assess the question of risk to the public and it will be a cold day in hell before they will grant parole to someone who has not completed offence related work.

An issue I shall not dwell on is the onerous burden that places on someone who is innocent, because they protest their innocence and cannot engage in offence related work, the system is stacked against them as they will generally not be considered for Parole. Effectively they will serve longer than a guilty person.

The very strong liklihood is that your abuser will serve 4 years and 8 months, although he can re-apply for parole 12 months after the first application, ie 4 years and 6 months.

I hope this has helped explain the Parole process.

Regards,
      Ashley

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley@3rd January 2005 - 01:38 PM
        Hello Dan,
        Anyone serving a sentence of 4 years or less has to be released at the half way point. Anyone serving a sentence of more than 4 years which is fixed ( ie not life) has to serve two-thirds of the sentence but become eligible for parole at the half way point. So, your abuser will serve a maximum of 4years and 8 months but can be released on parole at 3 1/2 years.

My husband got a 4yr sntence for a rape he did not commit when will he be released i have been told he will serve 2/3rds but you say only half are you sure.

Comment

Dear Mrs. Unhappy,

Sorry for giving misleading info, 4 years is two thirds, anything less is half, thus 3 years and 364 days would require half to be served.

Incidentally I was in the process of replying to your post in 'Advice and Help' but made a bit of a hash and have lost my reply, bear with me I will get back to you.

Ashley

Comment

Working...
          X