Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to support a friend?

Hello all

I'm posting on behalf of my mother who is in a difficult situation and needs advice. A young friend of hers is going through a very complicated marriage break-up. In a nutshell, she married a much older man who has several other families (one of which she only found out about recently) and mental health issues. She has two small children and there is a threat of violence so she has finally left - without a penny as he also drained her finances by fraudulent means. My mother has always been a willing source of emotional support to this girl but is now feeling out of her depth with the scale and nature of the various issues. I should add that the girl's own parents are in the picture but don't seem to know what to do. My Mum, who is in her 60s, has her own health problems which mean she shouldn't be subject to anxiety or stress but this is being ignored and Mum's now in a state of panic when the door-bell rings! My question is how can my Mum point her friend in the right direction for the professional support which she obviously needs without withdrawing the friendship which is clearly so important? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Obviously, your mum must put her own health first, however I can understand that she wants to help. Relate might be a good starting point for your mum to suggest to her friend. If they don't have the right resources to help, they will probably know who does. Or she could suggest the citizen's advice bureau.
    best wishes with it all.

Comment

Working...
    X