legal advice needed for a woman on the edge of suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal advice needed for a woman on the edge of suicide

is there anyone that could help me with some advice i dont know which way to turn! i have been with my husband for 5 years but only married for 2 years he is in the royal navy which is whats complicating things, for the last 2 years he has changed and i dont know why!
    he physically abused me and mentally abused me to the extent where i tried taking my own life last year to escape but it didnt succeed he is very cunning and knows just how to stay in the peramiters of the law i have had numerous visits from the police for domestic violance.
    my husband left me in july and part of me was relieved my sentance was over however because i live in married quarters he has to inform the navy his married catagory has changed this is when his name will be taken off the tenancy and i am given 93 days to vacate the property however he will not do this as he says he can still control me,
    as far as i was concerned i got the door key back from him but what i didnt realise is he had another key cut and has been in the home taking things that belong to me the police say because we are married he has a right to but he has no belongings of his own here anymore he constantly phones and threatens me and turns up banging on the door taunting me i now sit in the dark with all the doors locked to avoid him
    the navy wont help me as he still the legal tennant even though ive informed him he no longer lives here and now lives on board the ship but still they do nothing they also know the history of abuse,
    my solicitor says as he is still the legal tennant if he wanted to he could come into the house and sit here taunting me all day every day and i cant do anything i have no family and no money to be able to leave the property as he made sure of that to
    i have to work to pay all the bills which leaves me at the end of the month with nothing while he brings home 2,900 a month and pisses it up against the wall i really need some advice i dont know how much longer i can take this im already thinking how to end it all but properly this time ive spoken to my doctor and shes prescribed better anti deppresants but theyre not working hes completly worn me down and i no longer know where to turn.

swalk

Perhaps you could go to live in a women's refuge for a while? There's an organisation called Women's Aid where you could get help. It only covers England, but if you live somewhere else, they might be able to refer you to other places, or you might find similar organisations on the Internet. On their website, they give a helpline, and information, such as about legal rights. Their helpline's a 24-hour one, 0808 2000 247, and you can email them at helpline@womensaid.org.uk
    They might be able to give you advice on how to get financial aid to leave the property as well.

It doesn't sound as if the police are very sympathetic! They think he isn't doing anything wrong even though it's your stuff he's taking? Are you sure he couldn't be charged with harassment for the abusive things he says in the phone calls he makes at the moment? It might be worth recording them if you can, in case you can have them used as evidence now or later. But Women's Aid could probably give you better advice on that.
    My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
    And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

The citizens advice bureau should be able to advise you on your options and your rights and if they don't know should be able to tell you who will know.
      Their website is Citizens advice bureau which should help you find your local centre if you want to talk to someone.

I have no experience with this kind of thing (thankfully) but it sounds like you need to know where you stand and then get out - do you have any friends who could help you?

If you want to talk (online) to people who have been through this sort of thing, try the Family, Home and Garden group

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
      X