saying hi a little late.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saying hi a little late.

hi i'm friday. i can't remember how long i've been a member here, probably about a year. i'm 19 but 30 mentally. i write poetry (recently performed at the poetry cafe's open mic night) and am attempting to get good enough grades to go to uni in september to study psychology.

i was raped at 16 and went through two court cases only to see the man walk free.

i also am diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder (BAD ) and have recovered from anorexia nervosa which caused me to have osteoporosis (but hopefully that will improve).

i'm not sure why i'm writing so much but anyways....i like ebm (gothy dance music), metal, rock, punk, bruce springsteen, trad goth...

i can play the clarinet and saxophone (though i never actually practice so its not sounding so great these days).

anyway i have written far more than anyone would care to read.
    "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

My DH is doing Psychology with the OU, takes an exam in a week or so.

Wow at playing instuments, I'd love to but am useless at anything like that!
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

musical instruments.....I one tried to learn the violin, but it scared my cat...
      My son has been learning the guitar, but he is a little disillusioned...I think he thought he would be Jimi Hendrix within the first month....Any tips for keeping him focussed?

Comment

glue his hands to the frets? Bribery?

Most intruments sound 'orrible until the breakthrough moment. I'm sure they must do dvd's you can play along with.

Our lass has a digital drum set .............
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by friday View Post
          i'm not sure why i'm writing so much
          It's good to know more about you! That way we can work better together.

Comment

Well done Friday

Sometimes thinking about the past can be the hardest thing ever so all credit to you for being so strong. It does I think help others to understand and realise that we all suffer in our own ways and that neither are we alone - even if the circumstances are completely different - THEY ALL HURT LIKE HELL.

All anyone can ask from each other is for support and understanding, and on behalf of myself, I would sincerely hope I deliver on my promise.

Comment

saffron-i attempted to learn guitar but had that same problem. maybe if he could learn to chords to very simple songs (the cure's friday i'm in love is a good example) as well as doing the boring stuff he'd feel more encouraged. the problem with instruments is that you actually have to practice and no one wants to play until they are good but to get there you have to practice...viscious circle. i think some people are just suited to some instruments more than others.
              i found bass a lot easier to play something that sounded ok (i was in the hospital band when i was in hospital). i think it depends on how you think. i can hear music and play it and can read music like a language but i can't get my head around bass clef or guitar music.
              string instruments are the worst instruments when people just start but everyone has to start like that.

RFLH-my friend is also doing psychology at OU. is the course any good?
              "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Hi Friday
                I think the problem is that he is learning classical guitar and learning to read music at the same time, so it is quite a lot to take in. I think that if we could find a teacher who would just teach him a few simple chords so that he can bang out a recognisable tune it would help....something simple like Tambourine Man by the Byrds (told you I was a hippie at heart!) or much of the Stones stuff is based around 3 straightforward chords....the problem is finding a teacher who will teach the "fun" stuff without the string-plucking sheet music part! Doesn't help that he plays Guitar Hero on our Wii and is an absolute whizz at it. Maks learning the real instrument so mujch more onerous...
                I have a soft spot for The Cure...used to have a massive crush on Robert Smith!
                S

Comment

when he gets as good as Slowhand or Hendrix I'll pay good money to come and listen!

Friday - he's enjoyed it, he did Social Sciences last year and is thinking about doing something to do with the environment next. Being on benefits you get £250 for each course you do - as well as get £200 towards a computer. So getting paid to further educate yourself is brill.

Being an old dog I can't learn new tricks

Comment

RFLH: when he gets as good as Hendrix or Slowhand, I will be able to give up work!
                    But seriously, there is nothing stopping you doing a similar course! Old dog, new tricks: nonsense! What about something to do with animal husbandry - your forte!!!

Comment

I tried to do the new law course last year, but there was so much work to it and I got stressed out. You need a grounding in it I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                      X