Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Believed she was raped - no evidence

From the BBC 19th June

A taxi driver could have found himself on trial for rape had a tracker device not been fitted to his vehicle, a jury heard.
    Laura Hood, 27, of Stockport, Greater Manchester, claimed cab driver Haroon Yousaf raped her after a night out in January 2017.
    Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court heard the tracker "proved her account of being raped is simply untrue".
    Ms Hood denies perverting the course of justice.
    The court heard Mr Yousaf was arrested and kept in custody for 20 hours the day after the allegation was made against him.
    Prosecutor Geoff Whelan said it was "extremely fortunate" his taxi was fitted with the device as it recorded the exact route the taxi had taken and at no point did it turn off into a side street, as claimed by the defendant.
    Shortly after Ms Hood was dropped off near her home on 8 January 2017 the defendant told her mother and stepfather she had been raped and they called the police, the court heard.
    Officers were told the driver had travelled the "wrong way", pulled over and raped her in the back of the cab, jurors heard.
    No physical evidence
    Mr Whelan said Ms Hood got into Mr Yousaf's taxi outside a bar in Deansgate Locks.
    She insisted he drop her off at the end of her street and paid the fare telling Mr Yousaf to keep the £4 change, said Mr Whelan.
    No forensic evidence showed any physical contact between Mr Yousaf and the defendant, jurors heard.
    Ms Hood had described her attacker as in his late 50s and with no facial hair but Mr Younas is aged 29 with a full beard, the court heard.
    Mr Whelan said it was a "clearest possible example" of perverting the course of justice.
    He said she now accepts Mr Yousaf did not rape her, but she believed she was raped in the taxi and therefore she denied the charge.

The trial continues.

We will see what the outcome is I doubt if it will be a 5 year custodial sentence!

She has been found guilty, to be sentenced on 1 August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-48770517
    For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
    https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

I guess this is the latest thought-twist - if I say I really believed it I haven't done anything wrong, have I?

Er, no. That excuse won't wash with most sensible people.
      'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Originally posted by Franticwithworry View Post
        I guess this is the latest thought-twist - if I say I really believed it I haven't done anything wrong, have I?

Er, no. That excuse won't wash with most sensible people.
        Since posting this I mellowed my thoughts thinking that if she was fruit the loop then she needed help not punishment.

But then there was the other new article about the mental ill guy who pushed someone under a train and was given a life sentence.

Both victims survived and I ended up no nearer understanding
        One was proved sane and will get a short sentence one is certifiably mad and gets life

Had Yusaf been convicted on her word he may have wished she had just pushed him under a train.

Guess thats why we have judges and why I am not one!

Comment

It's a difficult area, but I think that if she was mentally ill it would have been made clear.

We have places like Rampton and Broadmoor for the criminally insane. It's possible to treat mental illness and punish criminal behaviour at the same time. Hopefully the person who got a life sentence will be monitored and supervised properly. That's partly what a life sentence is supposed to do. It doesn't necessarily mean that he will spend the rest of his days in prison, much as some people would like to think it should.
          'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

I would say that all false accusers are fruit loops to some degree but then the same could be said for sex offenders and that is no excuse for the law not to act. It is for the courts to decide whether that person knew what they were doing ( Mens Rea ) and I think I am right in saying, it is a reversed burden of proof in such cases in that the defence must prove diminished responsibility rather than the prosecution disprove it.

I am not in favour of heavy sentences for false accusers except in exceptional circumstances for the simple reason that it could deter the remorseful or unsure from eventually telling the truth or deciding not to continue co operating with a prosecution, which I have little doubt Hood was given the opportunity to do and yet she chose to continue with the lie.

In the case you mention 298, although the defendant was a known paranoid schizophrenic, it was mentioned by the judge in his sentencing remarks that his actions were not the result of this but rather the result of a crack cocaine binge the day before - so his defence of diminished responsibility was dismissed by the jury - it was decided that he knew what he was doing at the time of the attacks.. He was convicted of attempted murder which is obviously a very serious charge and he presents a very clear danger to the public. He clearly needs careful monitoring before being declared fit for release, something our overstretched prison and probation services don't always get right as Frantic wisely states.

A judge can always request pre sentencing reports if appropriate; these are usually compiled by a probation officer, but courtside reports from psychologists for example may also form part of these ( I think*) - anyone thought to be a danger to the general public should automatically be locked away indefinitely until it is deemed safe for them to be released.

In simple terms, if the platform pusher were allowed to go free, there's a very good chance he would do it again, Hood on the other hand has likely and hopefully learned her lesson.

* I'm not a lawyer and don't pretend to be an expert
            Last edited by Peter1975; 1 July 2019, 02:36 AM.
            For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
            https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Thanks Peter - fully agree with your reasoning and again further proof of why I am not and should never be a judge !

Comment

Working...
              X