Trial approaching and advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial approaching and advice needed

My son has been falsely accused of 2 counts of rape and ABH by his girlfriend at the time. He has spent almost 9 months on remand following the discharging of the Jury and awaiting a retrial date.
    He has been going through all of the paperwork given to him by his legal team and he has read 4 different statements relating to the same incident made by his accuser. But the one that was presented in court is inconsistent with her initial statement which in turn is inconsistent with her dvd police interview. Can anyone please advise. Why is this allowed to happen and how can any of them be relied upon?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry to read of your story, especially that your son is being held on remand, this must be so difficult for you both.

Unfortunately as has been well documented on this forum the accusers are permitted to change his/her statements as often as they wish; quite often as a result of some rebutting evidence being put forward by the accused during his police interview!

One thought is that your son could use these conflicting statements, in conjunction with his own knowledge of what actually happened in that particular incident, to put together some questions that his barrister could ask the girl to trip her up under cross-examination and thus show the jury that she is an unreliable witness.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum though sorry to see yet another new person here... casehardened has given you some great advice...the more your son can find that contradicts the FA's statements the better, but he must not give these to the police because they will then give the FA yet another chance to change her story and then they will lose the evidence or deny they ever had it!!!! Does your son have a solid defence team? Keep strong ...MH
      "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Hello Parentindespair, welcome to the fourm. I'm very sorry for you and your son that he's being held in remand - this must be a very hard time for you both.

How far did the trail get? Do youknow why the jury was dismissed? I know it's very galling to know she's made several statements, but the jury will notice if there are important discrepancies when they watch her video'd interview and then read her statement. As CH and MH have said.... you and your sol should prepare questions which would show she's lying.

He needs to go over all the evidence maticulously, looking for and pointing out anything which is incorrect.

In my son's case, we went through the statements with a very fine nit-comb, highlighting every lie, contradiction inaccuracy there was. We also listened to his interview tapes over and over again comparing them to his written statements. There were over 40 'typos' , as they fondly call them, over half of them important enough for his barrister to have edited out for the trial. With these removed, the sinister slant plod was trying to put on his case vanished.

I hope this helps. Take care

Comment

Working...
        X