Optimism or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimism or what?

Just lately for some very strange reason my inbox has been targeted by spam. They seem to think I'm in desperate need of company, and I've had emails from Sara, Helen, Tracey, Michelle, Gloria (?) all looking for The One. I think I'm due one from a Lisa, as that name hasn't cropped up yet.

Dunno why, cos I haven't signed up with anything obvious like desperate.com.

The latest optimism comes today from paypal: "15% off Valentine’s lingerie and other great offers for you"

Yes, I'm sure that'll go fine under my jeans n t-shirt.

ha ha ha! Love it.
    Seriously, I noticed a few months ago that whatever I had searched for online (cheap flights/gift ideas/property-selling etc) were suddenly advertised whenever I went to the homepage of my email provider. More recently (over the past couple of weeks) I have noticed adverts for dating sites. Whaaat? No-one else uses my laptop - in fact it is provided by my employer and one of the caveats is that the only person to use it is me. My son has his own, as does Mr Saffron. So why am I suddenly being targeted by dating sites???? I have never so much as looked at one!
    Maybe it's to do with the time of year....coming up to Feb 14th and all that....

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being targeted by chocolate companies trying to offload easter eggs.

At least I can find a use for those.....

Comment

I just hope to God that Ann Summers doesn't get in on the act.
        There is NOTHING possible they could sell me......

Comment

I cooked spam fritters last week - does that count?
          And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

I can't now find the link* but Google puts a cookie on your PC whenever you search and over time builds up a profile to enable targeted ads.

When I tried the link , Google had my age (to within 4 years) gender and interests/hobbies, all gleaned from my searching.

So the ads are targeted at your supposed interests from what you search for

I therefore now use Startpage

*Found link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...knows-you.html There is an embedded link within the article to click on to bring up your profile.
            Last edited by Casehardened; 30 January 2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: to ad (sic) link
            'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Love these! Bait them!
              http://www.419baiter.com/
              Laugh at your problems, everybody else does. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

Comment

I keep getting ads for 'Mature Dating', holidays to Loch Lomond and writing wills!
                Think Google have predicted my age wrong...!
                "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's a mistake on my birth certificate - I can't be this old so quick!
                  And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Working...
                  X