Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fantastic news .so happy for you and your family

Comment

Brilliant news! I am delighted for you, your husband and family. This is a terrible ordeal for anyone to go through and as others have said your emotions will be up and down for quite a while. Our ordeal came to an end ten months ago and like you this will be our first christmas for two years when we can relax and look forward to a new year positively. Wishing you all the best.

Comment

some tips for re-trials

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. It seems to be sinking in at last for me and my hubby that it is all over and we can get back to normal now. Last night we opened the bottle of champagne that has been on ice for well over a year - tasted delicious!

If we had to do it all again (God forbid) I think I would start on day 1 with the assumption that the case would go to trial and start gathering witnesses / evidence accordingly. We think that the police even thought it would be NFA'd and so they did not verify timings and interview witnesses. When my hubby was charged 10 months later it was too late for us to get absolute proof from banks and shops to prove where he had been. Witnesses memories also get hazy and a bit unreliable too. Even if your case does not proceed any further at least you will feel like you are doing something and being positive about building your defense (no one else will do it for you) It can help with the sleepless nights and panic attacks. Needless to say - keep all of this evidence to yourself and then pass to your solicitor should you be charged.

If, as we had to endure, your case goes to a second trial (hung jury first time) remember that the other side will be primed and will know what questions to be prepared for. If you can afford it, it may be worth ordering a transcript of significant parts of the trial and then look for inconsistencies which can be highlighted in the second trial. We paid £1400 + vat for 3 days worth. a lot of money I know but better than risking prison.

I know that many reading this will be in the position of facing court appearances and I know from my own experience just how frightening it can be. Why not take a trip to your local courts an familiarise yourself with procedings. Watch how other people behave on the stand and see how the prosecutors (pit bulls) operate. Knowledge is power - arm yourself!

Good luck to all of you and have as good a Christmas as you can.

Comment

Thanks for posting - you've raised some good points that I hope others will take on board.

Have a great Christmas and enjoy your New Year.
          And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Great advice Victoria - thank you.

Comment

brilliant advice and so glad it is all over for you. can you find out if there is a sexual assault case on at the courts and just go and sit there and see how things work. did you as his wife have to take the stand and if so what tyoes of questions was you asked. im scared of opening my trap as i normaly speak then think which will not be good in court. once again im so glad your ordeal is over and you can now have a fabulous xmas knowing this has all been sorted. xx

Comment

advice

Originally posted by NOHOPE View Post
                brilliant advice and so glad it is all over for you. can you find out if there is a sexual assault case on at the courts and just go and sit there and see how things work. did you as his wife have to take the stand and if so what tyoes of questions was you asked. im scared of opening my trap as i normaly speak then think which will not be good in court. once again im so glad your ordeal is over and you can now have a fabulous xmas knowing this has all been sorted. xx
                Hi NOHOPE

I don't think cases of a sexual nature are publicised ('victims' have a right to anonymity!) but I think it may help just to watch any trial in progress. Prior to this I had never set foot in the building let alone in the actual court. It may just help your confidence to be familiar with the procedings beforehand. Your Barrister is not allowed to coach you so it may help to see how other people are questioned.
                I was fully prepared to take the stand to help my hubby but it all depends on what you can offer to the case. In our case there was just my hubby and her so I could not add anything in that respect. You really have to take advice from your Barrister as all cases are different - just be aware that the prosecution will try and catch you out and twist the meaning of your words which may reflect badly on the accused. Be absolutely sure that what you say is truly valuable to your cause otherwise you may inadvertently damage it. Sorry to be negative on that one - sometimes it is better to keep it simple so that the jury can concentrate purely on the facts.

When I was interviewed by the police I thought I was helping them , in fact I was making a statement which could have been used against my husband by the prosecution. In hindsight I wish I had declined to say anything but I suppose this would have reflected badly on us.

I hope that helps - one other thing I would add is to make a note of absulutely any contact you have both had with the accuser and partner if applicable even if you don't think it may be relevant. In our case they both lied about a prior meeting which helped destroy their credibility. As always keep this between yourself and your legal representation.

There is always hope - keep fighting.

Comment

Working...
                X