Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect now?

Hi just wanted a bit of advice.

My partner has just found out that his work place are no longer going to keep his job for him when he is released from prison and this now has really got him down. I was just wondering how other people coped when they were released from prison, were you able to find a job? Does anyone know what will happen if he is unable to find a job because of his conviction?

J

It's difficult. Some people have managed to walk straight into a job - we're 3 years after release and nothing. You will be able to claim benefits. The voluntary sector will accept him. If he's so inclined the Open University will widen his horizons.

Also you'll find that getting car/household insurance will be nigh on impossible. They weight against you if you can get it, sometimes by more than 5 times what you paid before.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Hi L&H
      His probation officer should be able to help him out. Some are more helpful than others - R's was useless. He had managed to find work through a friend of ours, working in a warehouse loading sofas into trucks. His Probation Officer kept saying that he should be looking for work similar to waht he was doing before (retail management) but she never once gave him any advice or guidance on how to proceed.
      The important thing to remember is that he does not have to disclose the conviction unless he is specifically asked. Most application forms do have a section about criminal convictions - the best way to answer this is to tick the Yes box, and then write "will discuss at interview" in the Details box. Interestingly, very few interviewers actually read the application form, and unless he is asked about the conviction he does not have to raise the subject.
      It is difficult to get home and car insurance. If you already have a home insurance policy with his name on it, you are supposed to inform them of the conviction. We didn't know this, but when we did make a claim they asked us. We told the truth and they were decent enough to say the policy was still valid. Our premium has gone up though. Again, his PO should be able to advise on this.
      Hope this helps. It is a shame about his current job, but it isn't impossible to find employment, just difficult. Good luck!

Comment

So does having a conviction also affect your credit rating if if affects getting car and home insurance?

Comment

Have a look through this site, its extremely useful.

http://www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?sid=12
          And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Thanks for that RFLH, I think all of this has set me back again and the little bubble we were living in has well and truly popped.

Comment

It's best to think the worst cos then when faced with things it's never as bad as what you imagined!

You're emotions will be all over the place for ages, but you will surprise yourself at how well you'll cope. I look back and wonder how the hell I managed - but I did.

Comment

Working...
              X