Rarity of Sexual False Accusations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rarity of Sexual False Accusations

"As the forum will show you, false allegations, whilst still uncommon, are by no means rare."

I disagree (most unusually) with Faith here. Class B protected public figures (a step below Cameron and not quite household names, examples of the class would include George Younger, the Bishop of London and the head of the Home Office) were polled on false accusations a couple of years back and 1 in 7 admitted unwanted approaches or harassment from women and 1 in 12 of being in receipt of a false accusations. Some of these were internal but 1 in 19 had suffered accusation of a sexual nature which had involved the police most of these one assumes involved arrest.

If one assumes 1 in perhaps 30 of senior civil servants, clergy, politicians, quango heads have been arrested for false accusations of a sexual nature and we know rape is the most common of this type of accusation, perhaps 1 in 50 men in public life will suffer this.

I speak as one of them.

1 in 50 does not seem uncommon! I know personally of 3 others...
    Last edited by felix; 26 July 2012, 08:21 AM.

That's not a realistic statistic. Just because someone says they are falsely accused,it does not make it so. Many genuine criminals will deny their offences. We cannot possibly know for sure the ratio of genuine false allegations to genuine cases of sexual assault/rape.

My comment appears to be taken slightly out of context...it was meant that, in comparison to genuine complaints, false allegations are uncommon but not rare
    "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Sorry still don't agree - nor does my solicitor. She thinks fa's are at least five times as common n as genuine rapes.... Are we looking at different social groupings perhaps? Celeb stalking is real issue - that is what happened to me we think cos I was in a sense a celeb in her eyes...

Comment

this makes interesting reading

http://www.internetjournalofcriminol...ugust_2011.pdf

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...al?view=Binary (this'll make the figures look impressive)
        Last edited by RFLH; 26 July 2012, 03:00 PM.
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
          Sorry still don't agree - nor does my solicitor. She thinks fa's are at least five times as common n as genuine rapes.... Are we looking at different social groupings perhaps? Celeb stalking is real issue - that is what happened to me we think cos I was in a sense a celeb in her eyes...
          I think the difference is that you appear to be pulling out statistics from nowhere and doing a lot of guesswork...

She THINKS FAs are at least five times as common as genuine rapes. Where on earth has she gotten that from!

Comment

My MP's researcher has done a lot of work and my solicitor is well connected in and around London. The stats are not coming from nowhere but I freely admit to intelligent I hope guesswork. The question really has to be:

Of 100 allegations of rape received by a typical force, how many do they think are false even if CPS pushes them?

How many do you think are false?

And in false I mean outright malicious fabrication or post hoc justification of what after the event would be easier if it had not been consensual.

Comment

How long is a piece of string?

I say 1 ft, you say 1 yard and someone else is sure it's 1 meter.

The government don't even have the figures and they love expending great amounts of time and money on meaningless escapades.

We can only guess. I would say that most times there is a crime of some kind involved in an accusation of rape, whether it is the accuser or the accused would be the difference.
              Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
                How long is a piece of string?

Exactement!!!!!

Comment

Re[prtage

http://www.straightstatistics.org/ar...rare-or-common

Some of these reports are false, as in Mr Assange’s case, but searching the data to tease out how many is a thankless task. Official publications in this country claim levels of false reporting that range from a low of 2 per cent to as high as 10-12 per cent. Some of those involved in investigating rape and in defending those accused of it believe the level may be much higher.

Comment

There's a Police Inspector who blogs under the name "inspector Gadget" - http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/

Round about the time that Ken Clarke made his comments about some rapes being more serious than others, in May 2011, Inspector Gadget wrote about the large number of false accusations that he'd seen. The comment was taken down a few days later, and one of the large number of commentators in a reply to another Gadget blog shortly afterwards remarked that Gadget had been told to remove the comment. If this is the case, its quite surprising as Gadget does not shrink from controversy in other areas and a lot of his points are highly critical of his superiors.

As far as I recall, Gadget said that in his patch he reckoned that 8 out of 10 rape accusations were false, and were either a subsequent withdrawal of drunken consent brought on by regret, a way to excuse their behaviour to a jealous boyfriend, or just revenge for something. There was also something about one of the other 10 rapes, which I can't recall, leaving only 1 out of the 10 rapes reported as being a genuine complaint.

I don't know if anyone better versed than I in internet archiving could find a capture of the original article.

Edited to say - I've just found the original article, quoted in full on this guy's website http://www.angryharry.com/esOneThird...pists.htm?note It's about a third of the way down. Needless to say, the link to Gadget's website shows that the page has been removed.
                    Last edited by the advocate; 27 July 2012, 12:22 PM. Reason: as above

Comment

Thanks to the advocate for this link.

'Angry Harry' is beating his own drum on feminism and while that's fair enough, it isn't what this forum is about, however I've had a look at Inspector Gadget's blog (in fact I've bookmarked it) and his writing has an uncomfortable ring of truth about it, especially the current snipes at the Olympian security fiasco.

I have therefore no reason to disbelieve what he had written about the background to rape allegations, especially as it backs up the personal experiences of our members. I guess his identity is well-known within the force so doubtless there was pressure was put on him to delete his comments as they wouldn't sit well with the current political establishment; after all look what happened to Ken Clarke's suggestion of 'categorising' rapes and the Coalition's proposal for anonymity for defendants before conviction.

Nevertheless I feel that the police often get a bad press on here and somehow seem to get the blame for the original allegation and this blog puts forward their personal viewpoint on the subject of rape allegations very well.

I do feel that this article should be made a sticky as a way of giving the insider's view but, as we are a democracy, what do other members think?
                      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

I've just received a mailshot from Amazon promoting Inspector Gadget's book (how did they know of my interest?...the internet is indeed a dark and mysterious force)

I can't post a link to it as they have included my account details & already hold my card details in their data base (see above comment) but a search on Amazon for 'Inspector Gadget' and 'Perverting the Course of Justice' should bring it up.

A tempting purchase, and probably something all MP's should be compelled to read

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
                          I've just received a mailshot from Amazon promoting Inspector Gadget's book (how did they know of my interest?...the internet is indeed a dark and mysterious force)

I can't post a link to it as they have included my account details & already hold my card details in their data base (see above comment) but a search on Amazon for 'Inspector Gadget' and 'Perverting the Course of Justice' should bring it up.

A tempting purchase, and probably something all MP's should be compelled to read
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?_encoding=...alias=books-uk

Wow... A signature option!

Comment

I clicked on L1's link and yes, the screen still welcomed me by name and invited me to check my account

Never mind SMERSH and SPECTRE, AMAZON is aiming to rule the world.

Hopefully it's just due to a cookie in my computer.......

Comment

Clear your browsing history CH

Comment

Working...
                              X