Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes proposed to the forum - Feedback wanted!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same problem on PAFAA where people will post stuff up under the wrong thread.

On some threads I have clearly put up along the lines of "This is not a thread for discussion or question but to give and/or read advice" - for instance but people will still post up their opinions! This is after the thread is supposed to be "closed" so the member's post cannot be seen by non-admin. But still they do it!

I have to do that otherwise some important info can get lost under conversations - then others come on board and ask for advice on the issues that have been buried. Using stickies doesn't work as soon these become one long list and many people don't bother looking for answers before asking advice. Which means that I have to answer the same questions time after time.

Also I find that some people will post the same message on several threads - that sometimes happens on yours as well, although not to the same extent.

I am having a re-think on how to change the threads on PAFAA to make them easier to understand.
    Last edited by Rights Fighter; 26 May 2009, 09:25 AM.
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Everyone uses forums in a different way

I have been involved in forums before the internet was even known about in the forum of BBS boards and everyone uses forums differently.

* I dont always read past posts or the archives, takes too long and why?
      * I always take each thread and post as a brand new topic - even if covered previously
      * I generally provide a full answer - even if it means repreating myself 100 times
      * I do try and post new threads in the right sections - logically speaking
      * I do not promote other competitors forum/website details - not applicable here?
      * I often fail miserably to consider every possible situation mainly use the common ones as examples this is just natural I think but Im learning
      * I hate personal opinions being used by others to control the masses, it is another infringement of our human rights and its sinister in my book or why else do it?
      * Important posts and information should be collected seperate from main threads - is it as RF says information not for debate and discussion, big difference.

FG

Comment

I generally provide a full answer - even if it means repreating myself 100 times

* I hate personal opinions being used by others to control the masses, it is another infringement of our human rights and its sinister in my book or why else do it?
        Erm....... FG..... ma hon - you are forever being told off for spouting your own personal opinions in an "over-assertive" way

But yes we know you are "trying"

Comment

Yes I know I can be VERY trying - but maybe I only say (sometimes) what others want to, but choose not too !!??**

I stand by my suggestion the forum should be split with limited access depending on whoch sind of the fence one site - accuser - accused, no one can and would understand this unless you've experienced it !!

I dont take offence to critisism, I endorse it and do consider the fact, even I might be wrong sometimes - just not always.

Ive listened too many people explain their situation convicted and damned just cos someone got upset about something, there are far too many people inside cos the judicial is simply too unreliable, its too hit and miss !

Its a vicious circle and it basically skinks.............. both sides

Comment

Hi Frank and RF. I can see both of your points. Different people behave differently. Some people on one end of the spectrum are very careful about where they post, down to splitting up their posts into two or three points and posting them in different categories, and some people, on the other end of the spectrum, will find something that may be approximately the right place if they are lucky and write everything there, leaving the mods to sort it out if it's in the wrong place.

No amount of careful text at the top or splitting down
            of categories will make it perfect, but we try our best!

Re the important stuff and the discussion, I hope that with the proposed split we will acheive that a bit better. I assume your posts were broadly in favour of the changes?
            I'd diet but I'm not in the moooo-d

Comment

Originally posted by frankgallagherwasere View Post
              I stand by my suggestion the forum should be split with limited access depending on whoch sind of the fence one site - accuser - accused, no one can and would understand this unless you've experienced it !!
              I can appreciate what you are saying, although I am still very reluctant to do it. I've always thought that having both sides on the same forum gave both sides a bit of common ground - both have been through a lot and some people can relate to the feelings of those on the other side. Also, as people go through trials, especially if the outcome is wrong, they can relate to each others experiences.

Also, with the legal and marriage sections, all users would be able to post there, so again, it would hopefully join the people from both sides of the fence.

What does anybody else think?
              I'd diet but I'm not in the moooo-d

Comment

Your proposals match all I said the only difference was I still would prefer limited visibility for the false and rape section - but still have mods control content if deemed inappropriate.

AS for the addition of assistance, thats something I do endorse, if only to make it feel more of a community spirit and gives you the flexibility to concentrate on the other areas which need further development.

I guess you could say its subjective and I would agree, but thats many where we need more thoughts from others so we have a consensus of opinion and views ?!!

Comment

I agree with Phil's proposed changes. I am quite keen to keep access to both sides open as I think that is what makes this forum unique. I do agree that in order to post, the user must be registered - we have had issues before with "unregistered" posters deliberately trying to stir up ill-feeling, and posting patently made-up stories.
                  With regards to assistance, I would be happy to act as admin or mod - I am here most days anyway, and can quickly pick up anything offensive or inappropriate. Having been a regular visitor here for the past 6 years, I think I can be counted on as reliable and (hopefully) most people know I am pretty fair-minded. I can't devote entire days to the forum, but have no problem dropping in now and then, or receiving notification of new posts via email.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

seconded
                    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

I think that FG's point has been clearly demonstrated in a very recent thread where somebody is worried as her hubby has just been accused of a sexual offence. She said that she knows he could not have done what he was accused of and, hey presto in comes somebody who tells us that she was raped, and asking the accused's poor wife how she "knows" her hubby was innocent - basically.

One could equally go in and reply to that specific post by saying "how do we know that you were raped? How do we know that you are not making it up?"

You see it is very easy to offend as to be offended by somebody who cannot see both sides of the coin.

Possibly the two sides could be split into "private" but if posters appear to be seeing both sides they could then have access to both sides?

Just a thought!
                      Last edited by Rights Fighter; 27 May 2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Before we go anywhere lets first remember and consider what we are dealing with here and its peoples lives. Both the crimes and false accusations can destroy people emotionally physically and mentally and they are both the easiest crimes in the world to commit on both sides.

The effects of either can be devastating not only to those personally affected by to their family and friends so we have to be honest with ourselves about priorities above any forums plus points. After all what other forum never mind forums could you compare this with? There arent any !!

ANyone who has been attacked would be against their accused trying to wiggle out just as much as anyone falsely accused would be against collusion to accuse someone else - you have to have been there to understand.

So long as there are public debating areas to allow discussions then its makes no difference if other sections are private. Its too easy to false accuse its a lot harder to prove it !! To be honest I am totally utterly and 100% against access to false accusations by anyone not in that position.There are simply too many willing to make such dispicable allegations with no thought to their victim. Especially if its attracting people who are looking for support to accuse others - there is then a conflict of interest !!

I know thats been the way for years, but maybe it has been wrong? Change for the better is a change for good its a change for the better.
                        Last edited by littlemoo; 27 May 2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Yes, I saw that too, RF. I replied asking the poster not to question someone like that, and explained that, as she would expect us to take her at face value, she should afford the same courtesy to others.
                          Perhaps a "trigger" warning at the top of each section reminding members that they should not query people's innocence/victim status?

Comment

I saw that too and well said.

I often read posts on this site where I actually wonder whether these are people who are building themselves up to falsely accuse somebody and want some advice on how to go about it. Some of the "stories" do not sound right to me. I ignore those posts rather than cause offences as obviously I could be wrong.

I also tend to watch those who post claiming to be falsely accused and if I am not sure then I will watch as conversations develop. As we know the guilty do try to hide among the innocent (in the last two years on PAFAA we have had two of those) or those who are "a little bit guilty" will try to get help to defend the parts they claim to be not guilty of.

Comment

Perhaps a "trigger" warning at the top of each section reminding members that they should not query people's innocence/victim status?
                              Saffron, i think that is a good idea, i also found this on a forum today and would like to include it somewhere:

"The main rule of this group are really just good manners.
                              Please be polite and friendly, if you are tempted to say something negative
                              think how you would feel if it was directed towards you."

Jo

Comment

We have "triggers" at the top of some of the threads in PAFAA - these are totally ignored by many. This relates to, for instance, the "Advice and Assistance" section there clearly there is the "trigger":

Use this forum to get or give advice and assistance. This is not a thread for asking for advice or for discussion but to post up and read from. If you would like to discuss issues here or need advice please use the General Discussion and Help thread.

People still try to post despite the request not to! I think it's akin to people ignoring notes on clear glass doors that say "PUSH" and we pull! Or "No Entry" and we try to get in!

Comment

Working...
                                X