Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes proposed to the forum - Feedback wanted!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes proposed to the forum - Feedback wanted!

Hi everyone,

Once again, I'm looking to make some big changes to the forum and would like your feedback.

For a while, I've been struggling a bit keeping up with the forum, trying to keep an eye on it and trying to develop it a bit. However, the time I have available to do this is no-where near as much as I would like.

I'm now balancing a busy work life and a very busy home life, including a lovely running around son who is wonderful but can be hard work!

I've been mulling forum closure for some time now anyway, but I've always had people tell me that it's worthwhile and that it's been very helpful and useful. Thus, I have largely abandoned that idea, at least for the foreseeable future. However, I do need to make some changes to give me a bit more time and make the forum easier for me to run.

Change 1: Removal of the ability of unregistered users to post. Authorizing posts takes up a lot of my time, and the easiest way to reduce this is to force all users to register before they are able to post.

Note that, as now, I still plan to leave the forum openly visible and readable by anyone, but to reply to anything you will need to register. Part of the reason we are high in search engines is because all of the posts are visible to all, and thus searchable and indexable by the search engines.

Notes about being registered: You need a proper email address. while yahoo. gmail etc are fine, I have banned 'disposable' addresses, such as @dodgit.com. You will be unable to post until registration is completed and your email address has been validated.

I also intend to ask people to keep their eyes on posts a bit more and make more of an effort to report anything they feel needs editing/deleting etc. This will allow me to devote a bit less time to the forum posts and a bit more to the forum development, such as keeping the scripts up to date, adding links, getting people to link to us, putting some proper images up, updating the FAQs etc.

Change 2: Removal of the "UK Trade: Consumer Protection and legislation, products and advertising" section. This sees little traffic and isn't really what we are about any more. I think the rape sections and marriage sections are the bits that we need to focus on.

Please let me know your thoughts, both on the proposed changes above and also if you have any more suggestions for things to change / develop etc.

Thanks!
    I'd diet but I'm not in the moooo-d

A mod who is about most of the time would help, especially when there are dubious posts that need a speedy adjustment.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Re-posted from frankgallagherwasere

Here's the text of a post from frankgallagherwasere, which was posted in another section. I tried to move the post to this thread but vbulletin was having a strop and wasn't letting me do so for some weird reason, so I've re-posted it here:

Originally posted by frankgallagherwasere
      Phil never shut the forum, either allow others to help or hand it over to a group of people to manage it in your absense BUT it would be a waste (another crime) to just shut it down - there are few enough forums for people to get help !!

This forum offers a unique feature where people can share their experiences both from being abused and abused by the system, and those who have an experience and or knowledge to contribute.

Unlike other forums I find this has made stimulating debate and provoked some deep thought which I at least have found personally rewarding. I can't speak for others BUT I am sure they too have gained some satisfaction in being able to argue and debate their views and position with others, we have a community spirit thats as I said unique.

The damage done by the unfortunate thread is substantial, I was seething all day both with the original author and your response, however I know all too well how easy it can be to put ones foot in it, I have a history thats second to none I can tell you !! and everyone will be shaking their heads in agreement on that.

I believe there is a need, the room and a requirement to continue the forum, I openly endorse your suggestion of change, change being for the better, the benefit of the forum and for those who support it. Therefore I would suggest a committee of people from both sides take this on board and try and find a formula that will enable the board to continue, thrive and survive without ill feeling amongst the rest of the community.

Mistakes can and will happen, but its for those responsible to accept their part which you have, I appreciate your openness and honesty and lets not be negative, please everyone lets be positive and work together not against each other for the sake of harmony - none of us need more hassle in our lives, we have enough already !!!................ need I say anymore?

FG

Comment

Webmoo said: I also intend to ask people to keep their eyes on posts a bit more and make more of an effort to report anything they feel needs editing/deleting etc.

This should be limited, I think, to people you designate as moderators otherwise you will end up getting posters taking issue with stuff where there is nothing wrong with it. I've had that happen on PAFAA.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

not shaking, but nodding FG!!

I'm in agreement with him - NURSE, bring the tablets!!
          And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

I PM'd this to Webmoo the other day and have been asked to post it here so he can respond publicly.

Hi Phil

I know exactly how you feel - I often think it would be best for me to run away! However I think that your idea of making people register would help.

Having said that PAFAA forum is private but we still get the guilty trying to hide among the innocent (they get booted off when found out).

I use the same forum provider for my appeal forum and it is possible to only allow certain people who provide ID (not to be made available to members) on certain threads/forums.

I find that when I ask for ID many people refuse. that's ok of course but those who really want help will give it. Maybe you could make the falsely accused and victims forums private whereby only those who wish to join must provide you with details.

I actually ask for real names, landline numbers, addresses and why they have applied. I explain why - that sometimes the guilty hide among the innocent and also Plod will try to join in order to "gain intelligence".

Genuine people looking for assistance always comply.

Just a thought.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Hi RF,

I have thought about asking for more ID etc but I have always tried to shy away from that. As this forum is very open and publicly visible, asking for ID etc would not, IMHO, achieve a huge amount. As your forum is private, there needs to be more 'filtering' etc before people can post. Personally, I think some people want a private forum and some want a public forum - I think we complement each other.

I also prefer to keep it open as many people wont be willing to post anything themselves - either because thy can't bring themselves to write it on a website yet, or possibly because they fear something that they post being seen by someone else. Thus, having lots of previous posts openly visible can help some people who don't wish to post themselves. Making the forums private would remove this ability.

Thus, I'd be very reluctant to ask for ID, or indeed to make the forums private, but you do have a valid point too.

Thanks!

Phil

Comment

Carefull planning and debate

Ho all, Would like to see a lot more posts here -

HAVE YOUR SAY THIS IS A DEMOCRATIC OPEN FORUM DEBATE REMEMBER !!

I hold very strong views in this so Im going to bite my tongue a bit for the sake of allowing others to have a say and see in what direction the majority go !!

I firmly believe in seperate segregated areas for false allegations, accusers and general chat and there should be tight monitoring to make sure threads and posts are appropriate. There are too many false accusations and also those seeking escape from their actions this forum should not attract and allow any collusion of either. I wouldnt want to post something that help a false accuser put a case together or give them assistance/advice in any way, that would make me sick !! Similarly by reading some posts in the false sections this could also help them thats simply an acceptable.

I strongly believe in the ID issue, to be allowed into false allegations one has to open and honest - the damage is already done your accused there is no where to hide - WE ARE HERE TO HELP !!

I also believe there should be a legal area where one can rant and rave discuss and debate the issues of procedure - this might not be popular or supported by all, BUT I do think it would or could be usefull.

As I said I could add quite a lot, but really Im new here too, its not been an easy start as Im under a lot of personal pressures and live day to day in some sort of existance - but I would do anything to help anyone I though worthy of my time knowledge and experience.

Also think a website to compliment the forum would be good with chat !!
                Chat I believe is absolutely VITAL as some want to ask questions just not post it for all to see on the main forum.

FG

Comment

Ok, me and my lovely lady have been doing some mulling and have come up with a suggestion for a bit of a jiggle-around.

We plan to split the rape/false accusations section into three sections as follows:

1) UK Rape issues
                  With categories as follows:
                  a) Help and advice: Been raped
                  b) General discussion about rape (I will split the current General help, advice, and discussion about rape up into two sections).
                  c) Rape in the news

2) UK false rape accusation issues.
                  With categories as follows:
                  a) Help and advice: Falsely accused of rape?
                  b) General discussion about false rape accusations (I will split the current General help, advice, and discussion about rape up into two sections).
                  c) False rape accusations in the news

3) The legal system
                  With only one category as follows:
                  The legal system - Law, justice, courts, CPS and guidelines etc (I'll work out some better wording for it!)

Note that I am unwilling to split them up to the point of restricting people access to one or the other - I feel that part of what makes this forum unique is the join between both sides and restricting would effectively turn it into two separate forums.

The marriage section shall remain unchanged.

The General introduction, discussion and chat section shall be amended as follows:

a) Introduce yourself and tell your story here! - This is to remain but will be renamed and the explanatory text changed quite a bit. The aim of this was to have a place where people could talk more about themselves, not about what they had gone through. It hasn't worked as planned, and many of the thread that are there at the moment will need to be moved. However, I'd like to encourage more people, particularly those who have been here some time, to add a bit about who they are and what they do to this section. Naturally, many people want to remain anonymous here, and that's fine.
                  b) The Humorous & inspirational stuff section shall be closed, with all posts currently there being moved into the General discussion and chat section.
                  c) The poetry and prose section shall remain unchanged.

So, what do you all think? Let me know if you agree with all the above, or have any other suggestions.

Comment

seems fine to me. Thought any more about getting a mod in?

Comment

one thing at a time :-)
                      we're working on that part

Comment

tsk!

wot - no multi tasking, I'm disappointed

Comment

I am a bloke, you have to give me some slack - we are supposed to be rubbish at multi-tasking!

Do one job well, not lots of jobs ok... (ouch! Have just been hit by my wife... )

Comment

We just tell the girls we cant multitask, it keep them thinking their superior and keeps them happy also means we only do things one at a time. Well things like housework and DIY jobs otherwise wed have no spare time whatso ever.

After all we can watch football, have a drink and eat a packet or 2 of crisps, we just do multi tasking on the sly - when no one is looking !!

Thats maybe why Women Barristers are the best choice? !!!!

Comment

Frank - How very , very true, although you forgot chocolate! That's very important!

Ok guys and gals, back to the debate - any more thoughts on the proposed changes?

Mooo!

Comment

Working...
                              X