Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused after two and a half years.

Hello all,

I am here because I have heard that I am being accused of raping someone I had sex with almost three years ago - I am unsure of the date. I am 22 and in my final year at university, I have my finals coming up in under two weeks and I cannot believe this is happening to me.

My case:

I heard through my best friend that a mutual friend of ours had been confided in by this girl that she believed I had raped her at an evening we were all present at two or three years ago. We were all at another friends house with a few other people, the host had made some of his own GHB which I believe we all took. I took quite alot of it which means my memory of the night is seriously patchy (which makes this whole thing even scarier because I genuinely can't remember bits). Basically we were having a bit of a party and it ended up later in the night that the girl and myself were in a bedroom together. I have no real recollection of what happened earlier other than taking the drug and talking to the host, who was seriously intoxicated. My best friend says he remembers the girl and myself flirting, and I remember talking to her too.

We were talking and she suggested that we take all of our clothes off (I believe she has claimed I took her clothes off). I remember thinking that I could barely see at this point and my vision was all red. I THINK but I can't definately remember that we undressed each other and started kissing and had mutual oral sex. She then got really sick and I remember clearly helping her be sick whilst we we were both just in our pants. Another guy walked in and was helping but I told him to leave because I thought it would distress the girl as she was partially undressed. We went back to bed and after a while we started having sex, quite quickly she said that it was hurting so we stopped and went to sleep. In the morning because I remembered we'd had unprotected sex I told her that I thought I didn't have anything and asked her if she knew if she was ok - she said yes. Then we shared a taxi or lift which dropped her off at her house before I went home. I may have seen her around in pubs since but i've not really spoken to her since that night.

Now I hear that she has been having counselling about it and has told her parents she was raped and confided in this mutual friend. I do not know whther this is going to go any further but I have been in shock since my best mate told me, I feel sick all the time and I cannot concentrate on preparing for my exams. Any advice anyone could give would be so helpful. It was such a messy night but I can't believe that anyone would think that forcing someone to do something against their will would turn me on. Reading the stories on here has only made me more scared, is there anything I can do? Would talking to her help? I am willing to do anything I just can't stand that someone would think I am capable of such an awful act.

Many thanks.

Someone else will come along with more information and advice - but for my two-pennorth - do NOT talk to the girl.

How come your friend has heard this rumour, but the police haven't 'visited' you yet?

Write down everything you can remember, however small - if you are charged you will need this info. Please do get a proper legal representative - Rights Fighter may be able to help you with this.

If you are arrested try not to be too helpful to plod - they will use anything you say against you. Answer their questions with the bare minimum - they will move the goalposts.

Please try not to let this take over your life - easier said than done I know. But it may come to nothing and you'll have kippered your exams up for nothing!
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Hi TS

I've PM'd you some info. You will need to find a solicitor experienced in these matters - please let me know (PM me) your location and I'll see if I know of one in your area.
      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Hope

Well Not sure how it is there but I was told by my lawyer the farther between the alledged crime and the victum to come forwared the more favorable a jury will look on you. Only other advise is to stay away from those parties where you are taking things. I am still going through mine. you may wish to go to the doctor and tell them you need something to help you deal with the stress your going through. It takes some time to kick in but after a week or so you will not care. Use them to get through the hard part a few months. I plan on trying to get off of them ASAP but too soon is not good either.

Comment

R4W your solicitor is not advising you correctly I am sorry to say. There are many men sitting in prison protesting their innocence of alleged offences committed 20+ years before the allegations were made.

You really must prepare yourself for a hard fight - don't sit back on your laurels and think it will go away just because the alleged victim has taken a long time to come forward.

Follow advice you have seen on these pages and hopefully you will be better prepared.

Comment

Hi TF

What a mess. have you actually been arrested or charged yet? your post says that you "have heard" this girl is alleging that you raped her - how reliable are your sources? I don't mean to sound harsh, but until you are arrested, you are not going to know whether this is just idle gossip, or a real situation.

I would echo the advice of RFLH - DO NOT talk to this girl. In fact don't even attempt to contact her via a third party. If you are arrested or charged, contacting her could be a serious problem. Additionally, if she is telling people that you raped her, she is highly likely to react badly to you contacting her. And our legal system could construe it as an attempt to influence the star prosecution witness, ie: the "victim". Just stay away from her.

Unfortunately, rape is the only crime in our society that does not require corroboration. This means that regardless of the time the alleged victim has taken to come forward, no evidence beyond their word is required. No DNA, no bruises, no medical evidence, nothing. Just her word against yours, and it depends entirely on who the jury choose to believe. there have been quite a few cases recently where someone has been convicted on "historical" evidence, ie: the word of one person about events that supposedly happened 20 or 30 years ago. no corroboration, no witnesses, just one person's word.

I would advise you to speak to a solicitor as soon as possible. even if you have not been arrested or charged, this is still worth doing, and hopefully it will give you some sense of purpose. Take any advice that RF and RFLH can give you -they both really know their stuff.

Once you have spoken to a solicitor, try to tuck this away in your mind, and focus on your exams. Don't let this ruin your future. Until the police come knocking, deal with it when you are mentally ready to.

Finally, and i am sure you don't need me to say this, please be careful in the future. casual sex and one night stands are all well and good (i should know, having indulged more than a few times myself!) but you are putting yourself at the risk of exactly this sort of allegation. The majority of people think that it is a woman who is at risk in those sorts of situations, but actually men are leaving themselves wide open as well.

What you have read here may be scary, but there have also been some situations where right has prevailed - look at Lemming's and DamienM's posts. Both of them were arrested, but neither of them have been charged. Of course, it will remain on their records for an enhanced CRB check, but at least that record will reflect that they were never charged.

take care, and let us know how you get on.

Saffron

Comment

that is scary

That scares the hell out of me. I have no problem if they can convict you after 20 years if there was evidence but with no evidence people can and do lie all the time. Dam.
              Thanks for seting me strait. I will stick with post I know more about then, the emotional side of it.
              Thanks again

Comment

Thankyou so much guys.

Firstly: I am completely over the whole one night stands and druggy parties thing, it's such a long time ago, I have been with my girlfriend for over a year now and i've been working all hours at uni on my dissertation and finals...

Secondly: I am obviously absolutely distraught about this so I wanted to talk to the girl to see whether what I remembered in any way tarried with what she was saying and hopefully to show her that I could never ever do such a thing. Thankyou for the advice not to, I had no idea that it could prejudice the case against me.

Thirdly: I do not have the time to see a solicitor until my exams finish, but I will get one involved as soon as possible.

I am a little calmer today and I was able to do some revision and clarify the story a little. My only source at the moment is the mutual friend, but I do trust that he is not making this up. He says she has not contacted the police. So I will attempt to compartmentalize this for the next two weeks and then go and find a solicitor. Thankyou all once again and I will PM Rights Fighter now.

Comment

As long as you have the solicitors phone number you'll be ahead of the game - if anything does come out of this.

Fingers crossed that your friend has got the brown end of the stick!
                  And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

The problem with this is that she might not make allegations officially now but might do so later especially if she thinks she will make a lot of money form it in "compensation". You need to keep a running diary so that anything you are told, any update, is written down.

Comment

Hi there

My boyf and I live in seperate countries for the time being (we meet 4 years ago & he recently spent 2 years with me here). I now have my visa to emigrate to be with him again & cant wait to go (especially now). Just after he got back the police asked him to go down to the police station where he was accused (dont know if he was arrested) of rape/sexual assualt that happened 10 years ago when he was 17 and the girl was 14 (very nearly 15).

She'd obviously made a statement to the police about it. He obviously did not rape her, they were all at a friends house he says he wasn't drunk but had a couple & says she initiated it etc details I wont go into but to me it definitely was not rape & my partner has definitly been faulsey accused, just two teenagers having sex at a friends house. Admitedly she was a minor at the time but he did not know her age until a few months after the event.

He recently went to a district court where his lawyer requested that it was postponed - its been postponed for one month. He is pleading not guilty on the grounds that he did not know her age. I supose im just looking for some reassurance with this as it is driving us both crazy. My boyfriend is a little more relaxed (ish) about it 'justice will be done'.

Its obvious the girl is doing it for compensation, she recently divorced a guy to try and get his money & he had to fight that. Just shows what kind of girl she is. I just hope the courts see it & the fact that it was 10 years ago and that they were both close in age. If he went to jail it would destroy us both as individuals. Its awful how these girls can so easily accuse innocent men of such dreadful offences. I just dont understand it & really hope the court will see through it all....

Thanks,

Comment

I am in a very similar situation to terrified student. I have just found out through a mutual friend that someone I had a consensual, drunken one night stand with approx 3 years ago has been confiding in people that I raped her. I am shocked and petrified upon hearing this, and really need some advice about what to do? As far as I know she hasn't contacted the police, or indeed mentioned any intention to do so...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Comment

hello dazedandconfused.

I'm not sure what to advise. If she's slandering you, then you can go and see a solicitor, but in turn she may well decide to make a malicious complaint about rape in return.

What you can do is to be prepared if you ever do get a kinock on the door. Forewarned is forearmed. Find the name of a decent solictor that has knowledge of these offences, write down everything you can remember about the event, along with anyone who can corroborate what you say.

I'm positive that someone else will come along to give you more information than I have.

Comment

Thanks RFLH, what's the best way to go about finding a decent solicitor to talk to? I"ve never been in trouble with the police before and don't have any experience with this kind of thing...

Comment

If you send Rights Fighter a private pm, she may be able to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X