What happened to the term 'bailed'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the term 'bailed'?

I've noticed recently that when news channels report that someone has been arrested on suspicion of committing a crime (not necessarily a sexual offence) they might then go on to say they have been released 'under investigation'.

Previously it would have been reported that the suspected perpetrator had been released 'on bail'. I am sure that this change in terminology was not initiated by the news teams but is part of the press release from the police so it begs the question of whether the police have now stopped bailing suspects altogether in view of the time constraints set by the MOJ.

Perhaps it is now a simple choice between being remanded or released with no conditions?
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Solicitors noticed that the police stopped using bail wherever possible in anticipation of the new law that came into force in April 2017. It appears that the police don't want to be constrained by the terms of the Act. Police bail is used much less frequently than it was before then, which to my mind makes a nonsense of the use of police bail in the first place. It also means that people are released 'pending investigation' with no 'milestones' in the investigation and no hope of knowing how or even if things are progressing.

The Act in its current form is a disaster for anyone accused of a crime. Apparently all new Acts of Parliament are reviewed after a couple of years to see if they are working as intended, but this one certainly isn't helping anyone accused of a crime.
    'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Working...
    X