Where do I begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I begin?

I'd like to stress, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who wishes to remain anonymous.

Four years ago, my friend was arrested and taken into custody on the suspicion of inciting one male minor and one female minor to interact sexually each with themselves and with my friend through various means of technology.

My friend was released from custody on bail to return each month for the following 12 months, which he did, whereupon he was questioned a number of the times that he returned to answer bail.

My friend moved from his location, due to the fact that he was being assaulted not just on the street but also in the support accommodation that he lived in.

My friend tried to move on in the new location and found himself moving multiple other times, because he found he was living in dodgy neighbourhoods and didn't want anything to do with the neighbours, whilst he was told that he didn't have to return to answer bail anymore.

My friend kept struggling with different locations, always having to look over his shoulder and eventually ended up trying in multiple ways to take his life.

My friend knew he didn't want to die, but he knew he didn't want to live the way he had been doing and he thinks that's why he didn't succeed with his plans to take his life.

My friend found new accommodation after failing to receive support from his local mental health team when they said there was nothing wrong with him so they couldn't help.

My friend was arrested in his new accommodation, because he wasn't even aware that he had been called back to answer bail.

My friend was then taken to a local court where it was discovered that even though he was told not to return to answer bail, he hadn't been told of the change of plans and that because he hadn't been told to return and thus not known, the matter had been taken to the court hence he was there in that situation.

My friend had to move out of his accommodation due to threats of violence and found himself accommodation nearby but ended up having to get public transport even to just go to the local corner shop for fear of anyone recognising him.

My friend decided it was better to travel further afield and thus moved to a completely different location in a new region.

Less than a year ago, my friend was residing in this different region with new accommodation when he was told that he would have a hearing to attend, which was then pushed back to a later date.

My friend turned up to this hearing despite it being multiple hours away and costing funds that were out of this world, only to be told by his solicitor and barrister that he should basically just plead guilty, because there was now a new offence of sexual assault against the male minor added on, on top of the two previous offences mentioned.

My friend was not happy with the services of the solicitor and barrister at the time and terminated their representation, seeking new representation within the different region.

My friend was told at the hearing that the case will be taken to trial and it is due to take place in early 2018.

My friend has tried to move on with his life, he has a partner who is pregnant, he has a house that he pays half of the rent for, he has a job, but he fears for the future.

My friend was painting the nursery in the house for when the child is born, and then realised that given how recently his partner became pregnant and how far away the trial is, he might not be able to be there to see the birth of his own child.

My friend then had further thoughts, if he was found guilty even though he is innocent without a doubt to anyone who actually knows him, this would seriously harm his future with not just his partner but also his child as well.

My friend is not sure whether or not he would be placed on an offenders register for that which he hasn't done, and if he was placed on an offenders register, whether or not it would prevent him seeing his partner or his child.

My friend worries that he will not be able to be there to see his child grow up, that his child will grow up without a dad.

My friend just wants to be happy and live his life freely.

My friend has revealed that with the trial taking place multiple hours away, he won't even be able to tell his partner if he is found innocent or guilty, so his partner will be left wondering sitting around for days not having a clue, all the while being pregnant causing massive stress and strain.

My friend has said he really worries for his partner and his child, but what can his partner do?

My friend has a new solicitor and this new solicitor has looked at the case and then said it's a load of **** and laughed, but my friend doesn't feel like he can even do anything. My friend was even told it's up to the prosecution to try to prove that my friend did it, so while the prosecution has been attempting to gather evidence, my friend was left in the dark and told not to worry about it.

My friend has mentioned that he has doubts about what the future holds, but he knows he just wants to do the best by his partner and his child, that is all.

My friend is full of emotions, running from scared, worried, anxious, etc to depressive, suicidal and generally not knowing.

Originally posted by NAMWOBNIAREHT View Post
    I'd like to stress, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who wishes to remain anonymous.

Four years ago, my friend was arrested and taken into custody on the suspicion of inciting one male minor and one female minor to interact sexually each with themselves and with my friend through various means of technology.

My friend has a new solicitor and this new solicitor has looked at the case and then said it's a load of **** and laughed, but my friend doesn't feel like he can even do anything. My friend was even told it's up to the prosecution to try to prove that my friend did it, so while the prosecution has been attempting to gather evidence, my friend was left in the dark and told not to worry about it.
    As you're posting on behalf of a friend I will be blunt and point out something that worries me.

I assume that 'technology' implies use of a mobile and/or laptop; in this case it is highly probable that these were seized and examined at the time of your friend's arrest and obviously as the allegation is false that nothing incriminating will have been found on these items.

As the prosecution's aim is to achieve a conviction it is more than likely that they won't mention this, relying solely on the complainants statements; it is therefore necessary for your friend's solicitor to obtain the results of the forensic examination to present in court in his defence.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
      As you're posting on behalf of a friend I will be blunt and point out something that worries me.

I assume that 'technology' implies use of a mobile and/or laptop; in this case it is highly probable that these were seized and examined at the time of your friend's arrest and obviously as the allegation is false that nothing incriminating will have been found on these items.

As the prosecution's aim is to achieve a conviction it is more than likely that they won't mention this, relying solely on the complainants statements; it is therefore necessary for your friend's solicitor to obtain the results of the forensic examination to present in court in his defence.
      Yes, but the thing is that his solicitor is basically telling him that he has nothing to worry about, that he doesn't need to defend himself. The jury has to be convinced by the prosecution and that the defendant doesn't need to do anything to convince anyone.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friends dituation. My partner is currently waiting trail for a false allegation. In terms of his unborn child i cant offer much advice bit my partner has been stopped by social services from seeing his kids till after the trail and a risk assessment has been completed, thats with a not guilty verdict so i would imagine that there may be some social service involvement to ask questions when the child is born. Weve also been told it is highly.likely to show on dbs check whether found guilty or innocent so in our case it will mean even after the ordeal he wont be able to find work or move back home due to the nature of my work we both need clear dbs checks to live togeyher. As for the solicitor has he looked for 1 that has wxpereince in historic sexual assault cases. From what iv read on here and come to believe myself it os up to your friend to prove his innocent and put doubt in the jurys mind. Whilst we have come stuck at finding proof of lying which is what we need to be able toove on but now have to leave that to hopefully come out in the trail that she trips up and either admits to.lying or shows everyone it is lies. We have however spent many hours going through statements and other so called evidence highlighting wvery little bit that we can argue or doesnt add up as its all the little things that will show the jury theres inconsistenancys and doubt on her story.

I would advice your friend seeks advice from other solicitors and also look through the advice on here as it what has got us through the last few months

Comment

Originally posted by NAMWOBNIAREHT View Post
          Yes, but the thing is that his solicitor is basically telling him that he has nothing to worry about, that he doesn't need to defend himself. The jury has to be convinced by the prosecution and that the defendant doesn't need to do anything to convince anyone.
          I can see where your friend's solicitor is coming from but sadly sexual offences are treated differently to other criminal cases by the justice system; for instance can you imagine someone walking into a police station and saying their house was burgled 20 years ago and naming the suspect and this accusation then getting into court. As many members of the forum will confirm, this does happen all the time with historic sexual accusations.
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
          X