What do I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do now?

In September 2015 I was interviewed on an historic child sex allegation. The interview had so many holes in it that I thought it would sink but despite this a summons has been received after 2.5 years for indecent assaults and unlawful sexual intercourse.

Earlier this year and I feel totally due to the pressure I was placed under I suffered a TIA (stroke) and also developed a tremor in my hands which I am waiting to see a neurologist for, my GP has suggested possibly early signs of Parkinsons possibly brought on by the case. I also have trouble walking due to arthritus. Chuck in the chronic ME and PTSD (brought about when the complainant set me up to be attacked and robbed in my own home and which the police/cps refused to charge the offender for) and it isn't too hard to see that it would be very difficult for me to be making anything up about my health or to travel too far.

The court allocated is nearly a hundred miles away so if I attend I will be looking at a 4 hour each way journey which I would have to do by train and walking which is a non starter.

I explained it all to my solicitor who said he called the court but the court would not accept a verbal message from my solicitor that I am too ill to attend court or move the venue but it MIGHT make a difference if I supplied a doctors letter. I did get a letter from my doctor (£15!) but it seems that solicitor never received the letter by last Friday (6/10/17). The hearing is on 10/10/17. Solicitor says there is a good chance of an arrest warrant being issued if I fail to attend the plea hearing. I really don't want to be remanded in custody while awaiting trial. Today (7/10/17) I have sent a copy of the doctors report to the court and also another copy to my solicitor. The court will not get my post until 1pm Tuesday at the latest but the case will be heard at 10am. (I have used Royal Mails next day by 1pm service.)

I am confident that the complainants version of events will be ripped to shreds by a half decent barrister. My problem is getting around with my bad health. Is there any way I can insist on either an adjournment and/or a local court hearing the case?

The solicitor has a glowing reputation so I am not eager to change him.

Part of me says sod 'em let 'em arrest me and save the travel fares but not being as young as I was don't feel able to do that now

I have just one person in my life who I can 100% rely on (The missus) and who has stood by me throughout. What do I do now? Jump? Pills?
    Last edited by Eebygolly; 7 October 2017, 07:31 PM.

You seem to have left this all a bit late in the day Eebygolly.

As far as I know, an adjournment on genuine medical grounds is fairly straightforward. You need to talk to your solicitor ASAP and tell him that the doctor's letter is on the way. I don't suppose the sol will get a copy any earlier than the courts unless you can email it to him so he knows the contents and can perhaps try to reapply to the courts on that basis.

Otherwise I would advise you to summon your strength and attend. The plea hearing is very straightforward and won't take very long.
    For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
    https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter1975 View Post
      You seem to have left this all a bit late in the day Eebygolly.

As far as I know, an adjournment on genuine medical grounds is fairly straightforward. You need to talk to your solicitor ASAP and tell him that the doctor's letter is on the way. I don't suppose the sol will get a copy any earlier than the courts unless you can email it to him so he knows the contents and can perhaps try to reapply to the courts on that basis.

Otherwise I would advise you to summon your strength and attend. The plea hearing is very straightforward and won't take very long.
      Thanks for the reply. I did send the GP's letter to my solicitor a week ago but from what I can see he hasn't received it. I dropped a copy off by hand today.

I'm going to try my hardest to get to the court but the health problems that I face change from day to day and I don't want the court thinking that I can turn up when I can't. Last time I tried to go on holiday I was fine driving to the destination but had to overstay by three days as I couldn't get back.

Comment

I feel for you especially I am sorry that this case has contributed to such bad health for you.

I would try as hard as you can to take Peter's advice , talk to your solicitor first thing on Monday morning, as him what you should do. You are now in an awkward situation, as if you go you may find they get the letter and cancel the hearing ( worse of all worlds ) and if you don't go they may come and arrest you. Mind you I cannot see them keeping you in when you explain the circumstances. I personally would have done all I could to get there, perhaps getting a taxi for the walking bits of the journey after the train ride

I hope you manage to get it all sorted out though, and I wish you all good luck in your case

Sam

Comment

I wouldn't wait until Monday, your solicitor could be tied up all day with another case. As you are using a criminal solicitor, someone should be on police station duty 24/7 and I would get hold of them first and explain the situation, then start chasing your own brief on Monday morning.
          For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
          https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Working...
          X