Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character references

Hello.

I've spoken with my defence solicitor in the run up to court proceedings, and raised the subject of character references. I've been instructed to gather them from 2 or 3 sources.

Has anyone got any experience of these?
    Is there any advise available ?
    Who should I ask to complete one for me? An employer?
    What should be included or dismissed?
    Should it be formatted as letter and addressed to the judge?
    Would a character referee be obliged to stand in court?
    How much of a positive effect do references have on a jury?

Apologises about all the questions but just interested as to other people's opinions on these. Particularly those who have seen them used in court.

Thanks
    WronglyAccused

Hi there in my OH trial Character witnesses were extremely helpful. This can be friendss or employer and family. Someone who know a you now or at time of allegations, your Defence team will advise. We had 4 character witnesses. 3 attended court, I was one of the character witnesses at Trial and it was useful in many ways as I was asked about some of the evidences and could clearly answer truthfully to discredit CPS evidence. and one written character witness who had know him for over 30 years. One of the jury members was moved to tears by one family members character evidence at Trial so never underestimate how powerful they can be. Stay strong and positivex

Comment

Hi Wronglyaccused

We were asked to provide character witness statements ideally from people you know preferably not family ( although they can be used) and addressed to the Presidung Judge - it should include :

How they know you
      How long they have known you ( longer the better)!
      It should say that they are aware of the charge and what it is .
      It should not have negativity in it - is Fa is lying type thing , instead it could say that they are shocked surprised or in disbelief that type of thing .
      Handy too if depending on charge if under age charge mention that you have always had regular contact with there family / cjundren and trusted etc
      It could say that if course they are aware of the terrible pressure / extreme difficulty this has put you under and that you are dealing with it as positively as can .

In case they were never used as we only had family ones as he had not spoken or seen anyone he knew in 18 months and felt he could not just rung out of the blue , doubt that would have changed the awful outcome ( still feels very raw a week later and I firmly believe something is not quite right about the whole thing he went through) hopefully they will be useful for better than not having them .

Comment

Working...
      X