X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Public Acquittal

R v V - NG - Pros offers no evidence pre trial 16th March 2017

Article 20th March 2017

www.qualitysolicitors.com/jordans/news/2017/03/elgan-varney-cleared-of-offences-against-deceased-ex-partner-speaks-out

Hollie Alcock was the solicitor from Jordan's Quality Solicitors:

“We are delighted that today Elgan’s nightmare is finally over with the Crown offering no evidence. There are no winners in this case and it remains a considerable concern that this case was ever subject to a charge. This case again demonstrates both the danger of false allegations and false memories. More importantly it highlights the decimation that is caused to a person who is named in the media on the basis of unfounded allegations. This has to stop “

As for Elgan we only hope he is able now to pick up the pieces of his life".

What follows are Elgans own words

"Firstly, this is not a time for celebration for me. Quite simply, I should never have been charged and put through this horrendous ordeal. Whilst I am pleased that the Crown Prosecution service has finally come to the conclusion that I have no case to answer, one has to question the timing of the prosecution’s decision to offer no evidence 4 days before the trial was due to start and over 2 years since these false allegations were made. Today I have been totally exonerated of all the wrongful allegations against me and formally acquitted, however my name has been published across the national media and I have suffered so much that the only thing that has keep me going in the darkest of times is the truth.

It has taken far too long to get to this point and I have had to spend two years of my life and untold stress fighting to clear my name; two years of enormous struggle and time that I will never get back. My vocational choice has been put in jeopardy and my life during that time can only be described as an existence. It has been agony. My family have suffered; my close friends have suffered and tens of thousands of pounds of public money was spent on this prosecution before common sense prevailed. I am very grateful that I was eligible for legal aid and would like to thank the full team at QS Jordans led by Mark Newby and in particular Hollie Alcock and Anna O’Mara and my barristers Matthew Stanbury and Ann Cotcher QC of Garden Court North Chambers who all worked diligently and persistently on my behalf and could see this was a prosecution that should never have been brought from the outset.

I wish to acknowledge how tragic the complainant’s untimely death was, and as someone who only ever cared about her I would like to send my sincere condolences to her family. I know she was a troubled young woman, and it pains me that she made unfounded allegations that came about after I told her I didn’t want to be in a relationship with her. I have felt a whole mixture of emotions since I was shockingly accused, ranging from anger to deep depression. However, I will sadly never know the exact reasons for her actions. My anger and frustration is directed at the police and the CPS who had overwhelming evidence from the outset that no crime was committed. I was looking forward to the facts coming out at trial and I have to wonder why the CPS don’t want that now.

I fully believe that all sexual allegations should be investigated in a robust, fair and balanced manner and offenders should be brought to justice. However, in the current climate it is far too easy for innocent people to be falsely accused. The police and CPS policy offers no protection to those wrongfully accused and many lives are left in tatters. It is a problem that has to be acknowledged and not ignored for fear of putting genuine victims off reporting, because the reality is, false allegations only harm the cause of those with a genuine complaint.

Due to the awful stigma surrounding sexual allegations I think there needs to be anonymity for those accused. The impact of having one’s name in the media associated with abhorrent crimes despite being innocent is nightmarish. It impacts future prospects and you are never allowed to fully move forward when the fact that you have been accused is one click away on google. The pendulum has swung too far and fairness and balance needs to be restored so that the presumption of innocence is not completely eroded.

I’d like to finish by saying a big thank you to my family, my friends and everyone has stood by me. Without you I don’t think I would be here anymore. I hope I can now pick up the pieces of my life and be left to try and move forward in peace".

-ENDS-
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

A very sad story for all involved.

I echo his disappointment in the police and CPS. It seems to be a common feeling for many FA's.

Bananas don't seem appropriate as it is a no win situation for all.

Comment

Remember him finding his way to PAFAA.
      Such a sad story for all. Glad he can now try to move on.

Comment

Working...
      X