Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial Looming!

Hello everyone,
    My trial starts very soon, and i'm just posting to see if anyone has any good tips?

Spoke to my barrister and team last week and they seem very good!

Maybe i'm reading into things too much but when I initially went to see my solicitor, she was very confident....she somehow doesn't seem has self assured to me now?
    Maybe my mind is playing tricks?

Thanks once again for all the help and support!

Its good to see a few cleared members still posting : )

Hi Aidy.

I don't know anything about your case but if your legal team is confident then you should be too. I know exatly how you're feeling and its the hardest thing either of us will ever face.

Remember you're innocent. Its up to us to make the jury see that. We're in this together but it will be over.

Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Im scared View Post
      Hi Aidy.

I don't know anything about your case but if your legal team is confident then you should be too. I know exatly how you're feeling and its the hardest thing either of us will ever face.

Remember you're innocent. Its up to us to make the jury see that. We're in this together but it will be over.

Best wishes
      Its a very long story lol
      I am quitely confident if i'm being honest, but as much as I am confident in my own innocence, it's still a scary place to be!

I'll be thinking of you next week pal

Comment

I have read a few messages on here and sites from around the web. Many of them stress first impressions count so they say the follow (this is not an extensive list)

1) Dress to impress. Wear a suit and if you have one make it Navy, as for some reason it is a trustworthy colour. If you have a Navy suit already make sure it fits you and if needs be have it dry cleaned. Wear clean shirt and matching tie. Wear black shoes and have them polished.
        2) Be clean shaving and tidy, one site said that the jury should not know if you the defended or a solicitor.
        3) Cover ALL visible tattoo's even "I Mum". This may require you to spend money on make-up and getting help to do it.
        4) Remove earrings, chains, bracelets, pinky rings etc but wear a wedding ring if you have it.
        5) Have family and friends with you. It is good to have the psychological support but also supposedly has a positive impression on the jury
        6) Be early for your court date and DON'T speak to anyone about you case in public areas even with family or friends as you don't know who is listening. You can speak to your legal team before you court time somewhere private.
        7) Body posture is important. Sit with you hands on your lap as this is not an aggressive or defensive posture
        8) Be polite to everyone as you don't know who will see it.
        9) Bring or have a drink with you in the witness box so you can sip between questions and give yourself extra time to think how to phrase your answers.
        10) Don't waffle, answer yes and no when you can. Listen to the question and answer what you are ASKED. You can also answer "I don't remember" if it is an honest answer.
        11) NEVER lie as if you are caught out in a lie you are screwed.
        12) Address the judge as "Your Honour"
        13) Don't react to other witness's or FA statements. Don't look angry if you know they are lying.
        14) Talk to the jury as people rather than to the judge or QC's.
        15) Have something to eat before it starts as you don't want to be hungry or faint.

OK this not a professional view just a list of stuff I have seen.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pond31 View Post
          I have read a few messages on here and sites from around the web. Many of them stress first impressions count so they say the follow (this is not an extensive list)

1) Dress to impress. Wear a suit and if you have one make it Navy, as for some reason it is a trustworthy colour. If you have a Navy suit already make sure it fits you and if needs be have it dry cleaned. Wear clean shirt and matching tie. Wear black shoes and have them polished.
          2) Be clean shaving and tidy, one site said that the jury should not know if you the defended or a solicitor.
          3) Cover ALL visible tattoo's even "I Mum". This may require you to spend money on make-up and getting help to do it.
          4) Remove earrings, chains, bracelets, pinky rings etc but wear a wedding ring if you have it.
          5) Have family and friends with you. It is good to have the psychological support but also supposedly has a positive impression on the jury
          6) Be early for your court date and DON'T speak to anyone about you case in public areas even with family or friends as you don't know who is listening. You can speak to your legal team before you court time somewhere private.
          7) Body posture is important. Sit with you hands on your lap as this is not an aggressive or defensive posture
          9) Bring or have a drink with you in the witness box so you can sip between questions and give yourself extra time to think how to phrase your answers.
          10) Don't waffle, answer yes and no when you can. Listen to the question and answer what you are ASKED. You can also answer "I don't remember" if it is an honest answer.
          13) Don't react to other witness's or FA statements. Don't look angry if you know they are lying.
          15) Have something to eat before it starts as you don't want to be hungry or faint.

Good luck.
          Hello Aidy,
          Just wanted to say I recently received a not guilty verdict after 26 months on bail the jury can spot a liar that I am sure of.
          When in the trial, you cannot read them at all wouldn’t even try, through the whole trial I held a picture of my son I looked at it every time I felt scared sad angry and it helped loads.
          Quick question was the first two time she made accusations no further action by the CPS because of no evidence or was this just not pursued as she didn’t want too?
          Support in court is a must helped me so so much also don’t stare at the jury watch the person speaking take it in take notes in between legal talks I spoke to the prison guard relaxed me a bit and he gave me confidence he predicted not guilty and he was right.

YOU WILL WIN YOU NEED TO FOR YOUR CHILDREN….

Comment

Originally posted by Pond31 View Post

Good luck.
            Wow that is some great advice there, I can't thank you enough!

Comment

Originally posted by farmer42 View Post
              Hello Aidy,
              Just wanted to say I recently received a not guilty verdict after 26 months on bail the jury can spot a liar that I am sure of.
              When in the trial, you cannot read them at all wouldn’t even try, through the whole trial I held a picture of my son I looked at it every time I felt scared sad angry and it helped loads.
              Quick question was the first two time she made accusations no further action by the CPS because of no evidence or was this just not pursued as she didn’t want too?
              Support in court is a must helped me so so much also don’t stare at the jury watch the person speaking take it in take notes in between legal talks I spoke to the prison guard relaxed me a bit and he gave me confidence he predicted not guilty and he was right.

YOU WILL WIN YOU NEED TO FOR YOUR CHILDREN….
              Many thanks Farmer!
              The initial accusation went nowhere..the second time was when she was speaking to a councillor and they told the police, she didn't want to do anything!
              Then obviously the last time, she wanted to press charges!

Comment

Arrgh I see my accuser my older sister had made an allegation against me 5 years ago, there was No evidence (as it hadn’t happened) so it was NFA then she made another 4 years later to which I was charged. If it was no evidence by CPS the first time that could have helped as it did for me.
                I really would recommend the picture of your children just keep a small one in the palm of your hand; also, take some money the canteen can be costly. My story didn’t go in to the papers they said on the day if I was named it could identify the accuser as she is my sister so they could not report names so they just didn’t bother at all.
                From the jury leaving the court to the them calling the usher to say they were ready to then calling me back in then us all being seated was exactly 22 minutes so safe to say the decision was made in less than 15 minutes meaning they already knew I was innocent. I remember at the start of the trial the judge said to my barrister there is a policeman on the jury does he have any objections he said no, I was however panicking thinking the police were against me this was not the case. The officer who investigated my case said he told the CPS not to charge me and believed my accuser would strike again he was very supportive to me in the trial which also helped.
                One more quick thing I am not going to lie I cried on the stand the judge said shall we break I said no and carried on do not have a break fight through the tears and face the jury with the truth the barrister even said after he was glad I said no to a break. The prosecutor tries to trip you up and can be harsh with you stay confident tell him how it is tell him the truth and do not get angry stay quiet cool calm collective.

Comment

Once again, thank you Farmer!

Comment

Farmer:
                    My accuser is my niece, would the same apply regarding reporting it in the press?
                    I must admit that is the part I dread the most!!!

Comment

I wouldn't like to say yes for sure but there is a chance you could ask your solicitor. I know I was very concerned about press so was relieved when it was not reported.

Comment

I wouldn't like to say yes for sure but there is a chance you could ask your solicitor. I know I was very concerned about press so was relieved when it was not reported.
                        Tbh I was really anxious when I submitted my not guilty plea...however as my solicitor says, these cases really are ten-a-penny!!!
                        So maybe the sheer volume of them doesn't make them that appealing (unless its a celebrity or maybe a teacher??)

There really isn't anything I can do about it anyway so will just keep focused on my case!

Comment

Tbh even if it did make the paper it would be a really small piece in the court news like you said they only go for high profile or ones that have a great background story

Comment

Tbh even if it did make the paper it would be a really small piece in the court news like you said they only go for high profile or ones that have a great background story
                            Oh well that's alright then lol

Just hoping for the best all round : )

Comment

I will check this everyday so anything you want to know I will try and answer in the meantime enjoy life don’t let her rob you of life because no matter what this will be all over soon

Comment

Working...
                              X