Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for those who have been to court??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for those who have been to court??

Hello all, I hope everyone is ok?
    Sorry I haven't been on much recently!!
    I am ok and in a reasonably good place considering I have a trial coming up in the next few months!
    My questions are regarding how you played it in court re: what you wore? How you stood/sat etc?

I have been doing some research and even though I know 100% i did not do any of the awful crimes this horrid person says, and she has no evidence whatsoever... I have come to the decision that I still need to put a shift in so to say!
    I plan on speaking openly and honestly...and also respectful to everyone in the court room (including the prosecution barristers)
    Obviously I will look smart and wear a suit...but if anybody has any tips or do's or donts I would be really grateful!

Aidy x

You might find this link helpful (written by members who have had personal experience):

http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...xpect-at-Trial
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Aidy

RF has added a sticky with advice from a Barrister on giving evidence- afraid I'm not clever enough to add a link on my phone.

Trial weeks away so I'm trawling through for tips too.

Comment

Hello Aidy,

I was found not guilty back in November. Being in court for something I didn't do was weird!

You seem to be thinking along the same lines as me. I bought 6 new suits for my five day trial, but my mum told me not to look too flash so I ended up only wearing 2 with a different tie and waistcoat.

I found it helpful to be friendly to all the staff in the court, shook hands and chatted to the dock officer and held doors open for everyone.

I didn't look at the jury much until it was my turn on the witness stand, I just followed what was happening and made notes. (don't look away or be afraid to make eye contact but 'no eyeballing' I was told)

On the witness stand I looked at every single one of them and talked naturally as though having a conversation. I addressed the prosecution barrister as "Sir".... "that's not right sir" "No sir"... and so on.. It helped me keep my cool when he tried to get a bit nasty. I didn't do brilliantly but I was honest and I think the jury saw that.

What I didn't do, was attack my FA. I was nice about her, 'sure we had our differences but I don't understand why she made the accusations'. I was told that juries don't like that and that the best witness for the prosecution is often the defendant.

A jury find it easier to convict someone they don't like.

I resisted the temptation to have a drink at lunchtime (you would be surprised what a jury can smell)

Always remember that anywhere near the court or in the building you may be observed. A member of the jury arrived the same time as us one morning, just in time to see me holding my baby nephew.

Peter
        For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
        https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter1975 View Post
          Hello Aidy,

I was found not guilty back in November. Being in court for something I didn't do was weird!

You seem to be thinking along the same lines as me. I bought 6 new suits for my five day trial, but my mum told me not to look too flash so I ended up only wearing 2 with a different tie and waistcoat.

I found it helpful to be friendly to all the staff in the court, shook hands and chatted to the dock officer and held doors open for everyone.

I didn't look at the jury much until it was my turn on the witness stand, I just followed what was happening and made notes. (don't look away or be afraid to make eye contact but 'no eyeballing' I was told)

On the witness stand I looked at every single one of them and talked naturally as though having a conversation. I addressed the prosecution barrister as "Sir".... "that's not right sir" "No sir"... and so on.. It helped me keep my cool when he tried to get a bit nasty. I didn't do brilliantly but I was honest and I think the jury saw that.

What I didn't do, was attack my FA. I was nice about her, 'sure we had our differences but I don't understand why she made the accusations'. I was told that juries don't like that and that the best witness for the prosecution is often the defendant.

A jury find it easier to convict someone they don't like.

I resisted the temptation to have a drink at lunchtime (you would be surprised what a jury can smell)

Always remember that anywhere near the court or in the building you may be observed. A member of the jury arrived the same time as us one morning, just in time to see me holding my baby nephew.

Peter
          Thanks guys, and thanks Peter this was particularly what I was looking for!
          For ages I have always held the opinion that she has zero evidence and no witnesses!!!
          However this simply isn't enough for me...I need to be 100% up for this!

I will not be drinking during the trial...after yes lol

I just plan on wearing a Black suit and different shirts/ties etc

Interesting how you mentioned about describing your relationship with the accuser and you were too nice?? I'm sure my Barrister will inform me how to deal with this!

Anyway many thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Aidy View Post

Interesting how you mentioned about describing your relationship with the accuser and you were too nice?? I'm sure my Barrister will inform me how to deal with this!
            I should clarify this, My trial and defence were unique to me and you must tailor any advice to suit the circumstances of your case and take on board the advice of your legal team.

When I was talking to my own legal team I was angry and aggressive about the ex, I was told that I was coming across as a bit of an A**ehole and that the jury wouldn't like that in court so I worked on that before the trial and toned it down.

In simple terms, it was a matter of having the jury decide if I was the type of person that could have committed the crime, there was no proof of the allegations either way. I'm a nice guy. The jury came back in under an hour with unanimous NG.
            For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

I should clarify this, My trial and defence were unique to me and you must tailor any advice to suit the circumstances of your case and take on board the advice of your legal team.

When I was talking to my own legal team I was angry and aggressive about the ex, I was told that I was coming across as a bit of an A**ehole and that the jury wouldn't like that in court so I worked on that before the trial and toned it down.

In simple terms, it was a matter of having the jury decide if I was the type of person that could have committed the crime, there was no proof of the allegations either way. I'm a nice guy. The jury came back in under an hour with unanimous NG.
              I absolutely understand Peter!
              Sadly my case involves a minor (well at the time of her allegations!) so one can only assume we would have to play it very carefully so we/I don't come across like bullies etc

Can i ask how long your trial lasted Peter?

Once again many thanks for your advice

Comment

Exactly right, coming across as bullying rather than sympathetic will not do you much good in the eyes of a jury who are just as likely to judge you on your character as the evidence that is presented to them.

My trial was 5 days. That's not actually a long time in the courtroom when you take out breaks etc.

Comment

Exactly right, coming across as bullying rather than sympathetic will not do you much good in the eyes of a jury who are just as likely to judge you on your character as the evidence that is presented to them.

My trial was 5 days. That's not actually a long time in the courtroom when you take out breaks etc.
                  I will simply follow my legal teams instructions!
                  Seems a little scary though to think I could be judged on my appearance, stance or how i speak rather than actual evidence?
                  Cheers Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Aidy View Post
                    I will simply follow my legal teams instructions!
                    Seems a little scary though to think I could be judged on my appearance, stance or how i speak rather than actual evidence?
                    Cheers Peter
                    That happens all the time in everyday life, Aidy. Think 'interview' or 'meeting the parents'.

It's part and parcel of human interaction so try to relax about it. Peter's right.
                    'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Originally posted by Franticwithworry View Post
                      That happens all the time in everyday life, Aidy. Think 'interview' or 'meeting the parents'.

It's part and parcel of human interaction so try to relax about it. Peter's right.
                      That's actually a very good way of putting it, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X