Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment post charge

Hello.

I was just wondering if any one has experience in gaining employment after being charged with sexual offences? As my trial is not until summer next year and my credit card bills are mounting, I thought I'd apply for work in hope I can get something for 6 months or so and help with any bill accurred over the festive period.

What am I obliged to inform potiential employers about my pending trial? All application forms tend to ask if I have any unspent convictions under the employment rehabilitation act.

What did others do to gain income throughout this difficult period? I'm not quite sure if we'd be eligible for job seekers benefit or other forms of govement credit due to the nature of our alleged offences.

Thanks

Good question,sorry I cannot be of much support, but we are in a similar situation
    My husband has not been charged still on bail,we were looking at wharehouse jobs etc
    .Unless employees ask I don't think you have to inform them.
    With the benefits ect,ask citizens advise, it would be a very unjust system if they refuse any support! .

Comment

Once you are charged with an offence you do have to tell prospective employers that you are going to trial unfortunately, but only if they ask.
      It may be a question on the application form such as "do you have any unspent convictions or prosecutions pending" or words to that effect.
      They can legally discriminate against you for this too.
      It is very difficult to get a job anyway and this just adds to the problem.
      It's best to be honest with a prospective employer anyway.
      If you have someone who could recommend you for a job or could provide a reference then this may help.
      Ask around especially if you've confided in any close friends.
      They may be able to put a word in for you.
      Good luck
      YoH

Comment

If you're looking for something temporary and seasonal, answering the 'spent conviction' question truthfully matters - and you have none. A trial only needs mentioning if they ask specifically, and why would they?
        'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

It may depend to some degree on the job. You don't have a conviction at the minute because you haven't been found guilty but if the employer asks about pending offences then you would be obliged to disclose. If your job requires a DBS, then the charge is likely to show up so might be wise to be upfront beforehand.

Comment

It seems to me each employee formats their applications differently,but to mean the same thing i.e are you being investigated or involved in crime.
            When I applied for a job recently in healthcare of which I was fortunately successful,on the application it also mentioned "are you being investigated for safe guarding issues"(I guess due to the nature of job).
            I do agree it is important to be honest with the employee, as if not that could lead you into even more trouble. I think its very much about reading and interpreting the terminology used. "Spent convictions", "unspent convictions "and trying to be as smart as you can without being dishonest....

Comment

Working...
            X