Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 76

Thread: Scared and suicidal - Somebody help (FA sexual assault)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default Scared and suicidal - Somebody help (FA sexual assault)

    Hi everybody

    Apologies for the long post but I feel it's important to give all details.

    I am 24 years old. About 2 weeks ago my partner and I had been out for a night of drinking. We returned to her mothers house at around 6am in the morning being generally drunk, loud and in good spirits. We woke her younger sister up who is 18 to come and drink with us who quite happily obliged.

    Around 20 mins later I decided to have a cigarette and the sister joined me in the shed in the garden (this is where we smoke) my partner said she will join in a moment as She just needed the toilet.

    Sitting in the shed we were both chatting away together and in my drunken state I put my arm round when and said I love you, you like a sister to me.... she then tried to kiss me, I brushed her off putting it down to a silly 18 year old crush. She then did it again and I pushed her away. I promised not to tell her sister and we left it there.

    We sat back down and continued smoking. Her sister came into the shed around 3 mins later and we smoked and chatted for about 10 minutes.

    Before I continue it's worth noting that her sister and me banter a lot over txt message, winding each other up etc as a brother and sister would. When I went to bed I txt her and said I love you lots but no that can't happen, maybe in another life.

    Anyway.... a few days later I am awoken to police banging my door down, I was arrested for sexual assault/rape and placed in the cells.

    When I was interviewed by the horrible officers from the specialist unit I discovered that I have been accused of forcing my tongue down this girls throat, touching her vagina and attempting to 'bend her over' a drum set in the shed. Her statement also reads that I only
    Stopped because we was disturbed by her sister/my partner coming in.... rubbish as we were sitting down already when her sister came in.

    Thankfully my partner is 100% behind me and has already stated Shen will tell police immediately her version of events as the sheer amount of time between this alleged assault and my partner coming in was just to short for anything to have happened. Also of course that it is a disgusting allegation.

    The reason I am so worried is because of the way the police behaved with me. Made me out to be a rapist more or less and a liar and that 'this does not look good for me'... I also can't understand why they have not called my partner for a statement as she can defend me.

    I have a solicitor and my bail is set until January 20th 2017 but I am petrified as I have done nothing wrong. I can't shake the feeling that somehow I am going to be found guilty of this as Its my word against hers. Really am ready to go and jump of a bridge right now. I can't eat. I can't sleep.

    Somebody please help me, explain the process and what happens now? There is no evidence whatsoever to substantiate her claims but I Ann so frightened as is my partner.

    My partner as you can imagine is absolutely livid with her sister.

    Thank you everybody

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Hello fusion doe. I'm sorry you've found yourself here but glad you found us, if that makes sense.

    Firstly, don't take the attitude of the police personally- it's wrong but they often treat people like that. They are not your friends, they only want a conviction and that is why they don't talk to anyone who can defend you. That's par for the course.

    It's likely that nothing much will happen for a while. You have a January bail date so relax as much as you can and try to focus on other things - Christmas for instance. Expect to be all over the place emotionally. A traumatic event like this does that too you - your girlfriend too. It's good that she is supportive because 'a worry shared is a worry halved' kind of thing.

    You won't hear from your solicitor at this stage because there isn't anything they can do either. It's a waiting game while the police and then the CPS decide what to do. It can be a very long waiting game. That said, it will help if you write down everything you can think of in relation to the accusation and what happened while you waited for your girlfriend that night. It will give you something to do and clarify your memory. Details get to be important and her 'details' will trip her up as she has no memory of an event that didn't happen.

    You have a solicitor but please make sure you have one who is experienced in this area. There is a sticky thread with recommendations here and you don't have to stay with the duty solicitor. His/her experience and interest in the topic of false accusations may prove vital to a good and well-prepared defence if you need one. But you may not. Lots of these cases get NFA (no further action), so nothing is a foregone conclusion.

    Finally, come pack here as often as you wish. Your girlfriend too. There is lots of support here for as long as you need it, and you may find comfort in supporting new members as time goes on. Hunker down for a long wait and if it a short one it will be a pleasant surprise!

    PS If you find things getting on top of you, talk to your doctor sooner rather than later. Most are shocked by nothing and you don't have to explain the details of your distress if you don't want to anyway. That said, some people benefit from counselling and the drs is the first port of call for that. Keeping communication open with your girlfriend will help too.
    Last edited by Franticwithworry; 4th December 2016 at 10:07 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franticwithworry View Post
    Hello fusion doe. I'm sorry you've found yourself here but glad you found us, if that makes sense.

    Firstly, don't take the attitude of the police personally- it's wrong but they often treat people like that. They are not your friends, they only want a conviction and that is why they don't talk to anyone who can defend you. That's par for the course.

    It's likely that nothing much will happen for a while. You have a January bail date so relax as much as you can and try to focus on other things - Christmas for instance. Expect to be all over the place emotionally. A traumatic event like this does that too you - your girlfriend too. It's good that she is supportive because 'a worry shared is a worry halved' kind of thing.

    You won't hear from your solicitor at this stage because there isn't anything they can do either. It's a waiting game while the police and then the CPS decide what to do. It can be a very long waiting game. That said, it will help if you write down everything you can think of in relation to the accusation and what happened while you waited for your girlfriend that night. It will give you something to do and clarify your memory. Details get to be important and her 'details' will trip her up as she has no memory of an event that didn't happen.

    You have a solicitor but please make sure you have one who is experienced in this area. There is a sticky thread with recommendations here and you don't have to stay with the duty solicitor. His/her experience and interest in the topic of false accusations may prove vital to a good and well-prepared defence if you need one. But you may not. Lots of these cases get NFA (no further action), so nothing is a foregone conclusion.

    Finally, come pack here as often as you wish. Your girlfriend too. There is lots of support here for as long as you need it, and you may find comfort in supporting new members as time goes on. Hunker down for a long wait and if it a short one it will be a pleasant surprise!
    Thank you for your reply!

    I just feel sick to my stomach. Can you offer any advice on what the general outcome is for an allegation of this kind with no evidence or even circumstantial evidence? I know you say a lot get NFA but how likely is that in this scenario.

    I always loved xmas as I have 2 daughters whom naturally get spoilt. But this year I can't even bring myself to be excited for it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Hi Fusiondoe,

    Am new to this site too my user name is Silver,from recent experience due to my husband being arrested and bailed for the most vile "alleged" crime from 30 years ago ,am starting to understand a little bit about the legal process.

    Have you any bail conditions?i.e not to contact sister etc.

    Same as your girl friend I immediately wrote a character reference for my husband, you need to give this to your solicitor, not the police, this could act as your defence.(just email it)

    If the police want any more info they will interview your girlfriend other wise its best to avoid them.In other threads so many people say how the police will try to twist things,its best to say very minimal to the police always with your solicitor present

    About the suicidal thoughts, its good to speak with someone unattached to the situation in confidence, we have only told a very few close family, try not to tell the whole neighbourhood etc.Also how about speaking with the GP too?In my experience these feelings should past I think its sometimes just total shock and feeling frozen in time like there's no way out,but you need to remain strong and as you are doing start to build your own defence,xx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Hi Fusiondoe,

    Am new to this site too my user name is Silver,from recent experience due to my husband being arrested and bailed for the most vile "alleged" crime from 30 years ago ,am starting to understand a little bit about the legal process.

    Have you any bail conditions?i.e not to contact sister etc.

    Same as your girl friend I immediately wrote a character reference for my husband, you need to give this to your solicitor, not the police, this could act as your defence.(just email it)

    If the police want any more info they will interview your girlfriend other wise its best to avoid them.In other threads so many people say how the police will try to twist things,its best to say very minimal to the police always with your solicitor present

    About the suicidal thoughts, its good to speak with someone unattached to the situation in confidence, we have only told a very few close family, try not to tell the whole neighbourhood etc.Also how about speaking with the GP too?In my experience these feelings should past I think its sometimes just total shock and feeling frozen in time like there's no way out,but you need to remain strong and as you are doing start to build your own defence,xx
    Thanks silver! Bail conditions not to contact sister yeah.

    Just told gf about character reference, she is going to get on it straight away and also email her version of events to the solicitor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    I'm sorry, but there really is no predicting what will happen in the long run. Its very variable. Even so, many people say that being charged is not the end of the world as it is the chance to clear your name for good. An NFA means that the matter can be resurrected in the future; an aquittal means it's good ne forever.

    Dont get tied up with those possibilities yet. You need to get on an even keel emotionally after this trauma first. Your daughters need you and you can make them a good distraction. They must be quite little.

    The other thing to consider is how you and your girlfriend deal with her sister. You may have bail conditions of no contact and you need to stick to those meticulously. Indirect contact isn't a good idea either so your girlfriend should consider her position with her too. Keep all the previous texts if the police didnt keep your phone and stay off social media. As a teenager she may be posting so by all means keep a quiet eye on things and screenshot anything relevant but never ever respond.

    Also ask your girlfriend to resist the temptation to ask her sister to withdraw the allegation or, worse, put pressure on her sister to do so. That runs the risk of just making her more determined to see it through. She's very unlikely to have understood the full impact of her accusations.

    I'm sorry I can't tell you that this will be over in a few weeks, but these feelings of panic will subside, really they will.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Sorry to hear you are in this position. Simple advice is to read the forum. The representations of others experiences indicate you are far from alone. You already have a handle on motive (spurned attention) so that already is a plus.

    As sagely mentioned above do keep to all your bail conditions 100%. Get a plain book & write down exactly what happended, any thoughts etc you will come back to it. Get organised. Kept it safe. Logic will get you through this...

    In the meantime have a look here

    www.shrink4men.com

    See if the NPD / BPD behaviour for the Personality Disordered resonate with you. For the avoidance of doubt both male & female present with the same frequency so it is not gender bashing despite the inference from the web site URL. It may help.

    You are not alone. Come back often. Read & read some more...

    Kindest regards
    Mr B

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franticwithworry View Post
    I'm sorry, but there really is no predicting what will happen in the long run. Its very variable. Even so, many people say that being charged is not the end of the world as it is the chance to clear your name for good. An NFA means that the matter can be resurrected in the future; an aquittal means it's good ne forever.

    Dont get tied up with those possibilities yet. You need to get on an even keel emotionally after this trauma first. Your daughters need you and you can make them a good distraction. They must be quite little.

    The other thing to consider is how you and your girlfriend deal with her sister. You may have bail conditions of no contact and you need to stick to those meticulously. Indirect contact isn't a good idea either so your girlfriend should consider her position with her too. Keep all the previous texts if the police didnt keep your phone and stay off social media. As a teenager she may be posting so by all means keep a quiet eye on things and screenshot anything relevant but never ever respond.

    Also ask your girlfriend to resist the temptation to ask her sister to withdraw the allegation or, worse, put pressure on her sister to do so. That runs the risk of just making her more determined to see it through. She's very unlikely to have understood the full impact of her accusations.

    I'm sorry I can't tell you that this will be over in a few weeks, but these feelings of panic will subside, really they will.
    Duly noted RE indirect contact through GF

    I actually suffer with schizo-affective disorder and am susceptible to bouts of psychosis and depression. Until recently things have been going ok, money is good, got contact with my daughters and sorted out somewhere to live, my partner and I are making plans and got our holidays abroad booked for next year.

    Life was generally getting better... then this. It's making me so ill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    It is getting better. This is a blip. It is much more likely to be a blip than a disaster. Don't get complacent with that - you have to put the work in to keep it a blip.

    My children are all grown up now and I have grandchildren probaly the same age as your daughters. Something happened a while back that had one of my children saying that they really understood what being a parent was all about now - worrying to death about how to fix somethinh while the children remained oblivious and still having fun.

    You have got masses on your plate but you've protected your daughters from all of that and are making a good life for you all. You will get through this too, especially if you concentrate on them and your girlfriend and the future you are building.

    Making Christmas good for your girls and yourself mentally healthy is part of keeping this a blip, and your lovely girlfriend is your right-hand woman in it all. Keep your eyes on that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franticwithworry View Post
    It is getting better. This is a blip. It is much more likely to be a blip than a disaster. Don't get complacent with that - you have to put the work in to keep it a blip.

    My children are all grown up now and I have grandchildren probaly the same age as your daughters. Something happened a while back that had one of my children saying that they really understood what being a parent was all about now - worrying to death about how to fix somethinh while the children remained oblivious and still having fun.

    You have got masses on your plate but you've protected your daughters from all of that and are making a good life for you all. You will get through this too, especially if you concentrate on them and your girlfriend and the future you are building.

    Making Christmas good for your girls and yourself mentally healthy is part of keeping this a blip, and your lovely girlfriend is your right-hand woman in it all. Keep your eyes on that.
    Thank you! Will keep everybody updated via this thread. If anybody else would like to comment then Please do as I can use all the info/support I can get

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Hi there,

    Can you think why the sister had made up these lies?

    In my situation when my man was accused, there was no evidence as nothing happened, so the case got dropped.

    Our false accuser was a family member also (adult). I know how bad it is.

    Keep us posted and ask any questions.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyscot View Post
    Hi there,

    Can you think why the sister had made up these lies?

    In my situation when my man was accused, there was no evidence as nothing happened, so the case got dropped.

    Our false accuser was a family member also (adult). I know how bad it is.

    Keep us posted and ask any questions.
    Hi ladyscott

    Your guess is as good as mine. Reassuring though to hear a similar situation ended in it being dropped.

    There is no evidence either in my situation... there can't be because nothing happened.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2

    Default

    hi there, I have only joined here two weeks back as I was falsely accused, I have 3 of my own children and 2 step children, keep strong for your kids and things get easier. im on bail till feb20th and pretty much in same boat my head was mashed thinking of every possible outcome! I found the best thing was focussing on my little ones and that took my mind away a little bit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kljlrmi View Post
    hi there, I have only joined here two weeks back as I was falsely accused, I have 3 of my own children and 2 step children, keep strong for your kids and things get easier. im on bail till feb20th and pretty much in same boat my head was mashed thinking of every possible outcome! I found the best thing was focussing on my little ones and that took my mind away a little bit.
    Thanks buddy! Doing my best

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Hi mate,

    Sorry to hear your news, with my limited experience it sounds more positive than many cases that this will have the just outcome given the information you've provided.

    I was also inexplicably accused of sexual assault this year. In my case the accuser's background (she had made other FA's), my interview and crucially social media messages made it very clear to the police this was false. In your case I should imagine the FA's background, your initial interview and the messages you mention along with your GF's witness statement will be pivotal.

    It wasn't until this happened to me that I started looking at things like this in the way they should be. Just know that I believe you. I know you didn't do it. Only those of us this happen to can really understand.

    Obviously every case is different, and there are far more learned experienced posters on this forum than myself - but yours really spoke to me. You reminded me of the way I felt and the circumstances are vaguely similar.

    My advice would be: don't give up. Fight. It can feel like the world is out to get you and your mind runs away with worst case scenarios. This is normal. Let them run their course. Don't try to figure out why she has done this - she probably doesn't even know. Don't even think about contacting her or writing on social media about the case but DO passively screenshot open source social media profiles she has. Once you hopefully receive your NFA this sort of information can be used to prosecute the FA and/or have the details removed from your Enhanced Criminal Record check (though this is frightfully rare).

    In short: chin up, you'll win this and come out a better man on the other side.

    If you need someone to talk to please PM me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shocked777 View Post
    Hi mate,

    Sorry to hear your news, with my limited experience it sounds more positive than many cases that this will have the just outcome given the information you've provided.

    I was also inexplicably accused of sexual assault this year. In my case the accuser's background (she had made other FA's), my interview and crucially social media messages made it very clear to the police this was false. In your case I should imagine the FA's background, your initial interview and the messages you mention along with your GF's witness statement will be pivotal.

    It wasn't until this happened to me that I started looking at things like this in the way they should be. Just know that I believe you. I know you didn't do it. Only those of us this happen to can really understand.

    Obviously every case is different, and there are far more learned experienced posters on this forum than myself - but yours really spoke to me. You reminded me of the way I felt and the circumstances are vaguely similar.

    My advice would be: don't give up. Fight. It can feel like the world is out to get you and your mind runs away with worst case scenarios. This is normal. Let them run their course. Don't try to figure out why she has done this - she probably doesn't even know. Don't even think about contacting her or writing on social media about the case but DO passively screenshot open source social media profiles she has. Once you hopefully receive your NFA this sort of information can be used to prosecute the FA and/or have the details removed from your Enhanced Criminal Record check (though this is frightfully rare).

    In short: chin up, you'll win this and come out a better man on the other side.

    If you need someone to talk to please PM me.
    Thank you... I'm not particularly religious but god bless you! Doing my best to get through it all

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Struggling guys! Really struggling

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusiondoe View Post
    Struggling guys! Really struggling
    Dude. Chill out. Big shock to the system to be FA. Get a good night's sleep. The worst that can happen...is not as bad as you think it might be. The best that can happen is also possible. We're all struggling together. We are victims but we are going to fight, right? Steel yourself. Get a good nights rest. There is a way forward but you won't find it this late on a Friday night! Tomotrow is new day. You will find details lots of support here. You are not alone.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusiondoe View Post
    Struggling guys! Really struggling
    Hi
    It's early days so try not to panic.
    What you're feeling is completely normal!!!
    This is not something we are designed to deal with so it's going to be extremely painful.
    Unfortunately no one can tell you the outcome or even likely outcome because every single case is different.
    All you can do is trust your innocence.
    When you are adamant that there's absolutely no substance to the allegations then this will come across to those investigating.
    However, if (and it's only an if!!) you find yourself in court - you then have the opportunity to put your side over.
    This may all end in NFA!
    So write everything down that you remember from the incident and then put it away.
    Use it for your defence in court if you need it.
    But try and put it away for now.
    At least for a while.
    Stop over thinking, trust me it doesn't help!
    Stop thinking "what if"??
    This situation is out of your hands and there is quite literally nothing you can do to stop the process.
    Most importantly - Hang In There!!
    You will get through it, you will!
    Prepare for the worst - Hope for the best!!!
    Big big hugs
    YoH

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusiondoe View Post
    Struggling guys! Really struggling
    Please, hang in there!

    Often, when people do really well in the first few days as you did, the trauma hits them like an express train a little while later. Make no mistake, this is a trauma you have suffered and it takes time to recover. There will also likely be steps forward and steps back, - aka good days and bad days.

    Try to keep busy with the people who matter to you, your girlfriend and daughters, and do things that make you thing about other things, perhaps a hobby that requires concentration if you have one.

    Honestly, this too will pass and if you can just ride it out, you will start to feel better. If not, don't let it overtake you. Go and ask your doctor for help. There is help of that sort available and more people than you think need it. There's no shame in needing some medical help to get through this, as you have suffered a genuine brain injury, and your mental health is as important as your physical health.

    I hope that you are feeling a bit more on an even keel by Christmas and can enjoy it as much as possible with your family.
    Last edited by Franticwithworry; 17th December 2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Autocorrect!!! Argghhh!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Guys I have a question that's been bugging me just recently.

    I was bailed without charge so they can 'investigate' .... what exactly does that investigation consist of? There were no witnesses except my partner who the Police have not bothered to contact.

    The accuser said I did not touch her vagina but only touched under her trousers at the top (pubic bone)

    As this is a case of her word against mine I struggle to see what the police are investigating?

    Can somebody shed some light

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    As you mentioned, there can be no physical evidence; as it's not a 'stranger' allegation but a close family member DNA traces on clothing are to be expected (so I don't suppose any testing was done?)

    I imagine that the investigation will come down to considering who might be the most credible witness in court (bearing in mind that whoever makes this decision won't be aware of any reasons for her to make this allegation)

    As FWW mentioned earlier in the thread, your partner's statement won't be of interest to the prosecution so hasn't been taken but undoubtedly the fact that she will testify for the defence will be taken into account in the decision of how to dispose of the case.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casehardened View Post
    As you mentioned, there can be no physical evidence; as it's not a 'stranger' allegation but a close family member DNA traces on clothing are to be expected (so I don't suppose any testing was done?)

    I imagine that the investigation will come down to considering who might be the most credible witness in court (bearing in mind that whoever makes this decision won't be aware of any reasons for her to make this allegation)

    As FWW mentioned earlier in the thread, your partner's statement won't be of interest to the prosecution so hasn't been taken but undoubtedly the fact that she will testify for the defence will be taken into account in the decision of how to dispose of the case.
    Thanks! Much like I thought.

    However my partner has written a character reference for me and a statement and sent it to my solicitor to be used if needs be!

    I am actually rather p!$$#% off that the police have not contacted her when I made it quite clear that she was a witness. Her statement will more or less disprove everything the accuser says almost instantly.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casehardened View Post

    As FWW mentioned earlier in the thread, your partner's statement won't be of interest to the prosecution so hasn't been taken but undoubtedly the fact that she will testify for the defence will be taken into account in the decision of how to dispose of the case.
    I am sorry but I thought the job of the police is to investigate a crime and if there is any truth in the allegations. However it seems from your comments that they are only interested in gathering evidence to convict. They are not doing their job. In my personal experience I found that they took my phone but not the accusers. I want to point out to them that there could be evidence on her phone i.e. messages to third parties reference the false allegations but I suspect if I do then I will piss them off.

    I do not know why they call it the "justice system" as there appears to be very little "justice" in it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pond31 View Post
    I am sorry but I thought the job of the police is to investigate a crime and if there is any truth in the allegations. However it seems from your comments that they are only interested in gathering evidence to convict. They are not doing their job. In my personal experience I found that they took my phone but not the accusers. I want to point out to them that there could be evidence on her phone i.e. messages to third parties reference the false allegations but I suspect if I do then I will piss them off.

    I do not know why they call it the "justice system" as there appears to be very little "justice" in it.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

    Disgusting isn't it

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pond31 View Post

    I do not know why they call it the "justice system" as there appears to be very little "justice" in it.
    Sexual offences are investigated differently to other crimes; I often use the analogy of someone walking into a police station to say that they were burgled X years ago by ****** (insert any likely number and name) can you imagine the desk clerk's reactions and comments! Yet substitute rape or abuse for burglary and it will be quite a different matter.

    Why this should be so is open to speculation but I suspect the bottom line is the wish to increase the conviction rate for rape by (a) broadening the definition of rape through legislation in the 2003 SOA act, (b) skewing the investigation by setting targets and issuing directives to the police via the Chief Constables of the various forces (i.e. always assume the victim (my italics) is telling the truth) and (c) encouraging the CPS to prosecute more SO cases.

    So who is it that is actually driving the wish to increase the rape conviction rate?.....answers on a postcard as I've no idea...
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casehardened View Post

    So who is it that is actually driving the wish to increase the rape conviction rate?.....answers on a postcard as I've no idea...
    It's my guess - and it only a guess - that it's a question of guilt. Institutional guilt that so many accusations were ignored and dealt with poorly in the past. As often happens, the pendulum swung in the right direction but ideology and zealotry took over and it swung too far. Of course, because so many different individuals are involved in decision making, each wanting to be seen to be 'tougher on crime' than the next guy and develop their careers quickest, it's easy for the whole thing to get out of hand.

    Add into that the current witchunt we have regarding historical abuse in which we are effectively policing the past on the basis of present day manners, as well as prosecuting genuine crimes, plus the possibility of compensation, and the system is ripe for abuses of all kinds.

    Few are willing to throw any kind of sexual complaint out, no matter how ridiculous it seems, and I'm constantly surprised, though pleased, that there any NFA's at all.

    One of our cases got to the morning of the trial and the judge ruled that no crime had been committed before anyone had got into the courtroom. Why the police or the prosecuting counsel couldn't make that decision and save everyone a lot of anguish and expense is beyond me. Except that perhaps they thought they'd get a quick guilty verdict even though there was no crime to bolster their figures.

    They certainly didn't investigate anything or want to talk to anyone who could purified a defence. My man didn't even get questioned by the police about the supposed 'incident'.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franticwithworry View Post
    It's my guess - and it only a guess - that it's a question of guilt. Institutional guilt that so many accusations were ignored and dealt with poorly in the past. As often happens, the pendulum swung in the right direction but ideology and zealotry took over and it swung too far. Of course, because so many different individuals are involved in decision making, each wanting to be seen to be 'tougher on crime' than the next guy and develop their careers quickest, it's easy for the whole thing to get out of hand.

    Add into that the current witchunt we have regarding historical abuse in which we are effectively policing the past on the basis of present day manners, as well as prosecuting genuine crimes, plus the possibility of compensation, and the system is ripe for abuses of all kinds.

    Few are willing to throw any kind of sexual complaint out, no matter how ridiculous it seems, and I'm constantly surprised, though pleased, that there any NFA's at all.

    One of our cases got to the morning of the trial and the judge ruled that no crime had been committed before anyone had got into the courtroom. Why the police or the prosecuting counsel couldn't make that decision and save everyone a lot of anguish and expense is beyond me. Except that perhaps they thought they'd get a quick guilty verdict even though there was no crime to bolster their figures.

    They certainly didn't investigate anything or want to talk to anyone who could purified a defence. My man didn't even get questioned by the police about the supposed 'incident'.
    That is disgusting! You were told just before you got into the court room!

    Makes me so angry

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franticwithworry View Post
    My man didn't even get questioned by the police about the supposed 'incident'.
    Would the innocent man not have a case for miscellaneous prosecution if that a real thing or just something I saw on TV. When my case is all over, I am certainly going to speak to my local political parties about how cases are handle.

    I am from Northern Ireland and many years ago we used to have types or cases called "Supergrass Trials". This was when a terrorist who got caught turned states evidence as you would say and "grass" on other members of his particular crime syndicate. Well at these trials it was quiet normal for 20+ people to be sent to prison on the word of one person. Of course after a few years and a number of appeals later the cases all fell apart as it was one criminals word against another. The point I am trying to make is that the justice system does not care about truth but convictions.
    Last edited by Pond31; 27th December 2016 at 08:01 PM.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Yes, convictions are the goal, not the truth.

    An annoying thing for us was that even though the judge decides that there was no crime committed - 'even if the incident took place, it wasn't in and of itself a crime' was what we were told - the whole thing stays on file and can be ressurected if 'new evidence' is presented. We were assured that this is unlikely, but it's outrageous that someone can invent a pack of lies that someone else has to prepare a defence against, and even though there was no prosecution in the end, the slate doesn't get wiped clean. The stain of an accusation is there forever.

    It's so unreasonable and unjust.

Similar Threads

  1. Falsely accuse of sexual assault very suicidal
    By Denden in forum Help and Advice: Falsely accused of rape?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th June 2016, 04:33 AM
  2. Sexual assault
    By dai4913 in forum Help and Advice: Falsely accused of rape?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th April 2015, 04:19 PM
  3. sexual assault
    By GEORGEBENSON15 in forum Help and Advice: Falsely accused of rape?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th November 2012, 07:29 PM
  4. sexual assault
    By mike15 in forum Help and Advice: Falsely accused of rape?
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 1st November 2012, 03:18 PM
  5. Sexual Assault
    By Irishfella in forum Help and Advice: Falsely accused of rape?
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 21st April 2012, 06:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •