Petrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
    You will get lots of clues about the allegation from the questions.

A common error when faced with a question to which you don't know or can't remember the answer is to 'waffle' i.e. 'fill the silence' with helpful inconsequential information, this coming from a natural desire to help authority.

Unfortunately nothing you tell the police will be used to help you, their job is to get a conviction, not suggesting that you do a 'no comment' interview unless that is what your solicitor advises, but if you can't answer simply say that "due to the passage of time and the fact that I was a youth at the time you are questioning me about, I can't remember"

On the other hand if you can remember, do answer honestly (bearing in mind the interviewers are trained to spot inconsistencies!) but again resist the desire to elaborate, give concise and precise answers, let the interviewers fill the silences.

Good luck with today, caseharded words are indeed wise.

Comment

Attended my voluntary interview this morning. Met my solicitor who outlined what I have been alleged. Apparently I was supposed to have raped a girl who was 12 at the time and I was 15 in the summer of 1973. My solicitor says that there is no evidence against me. Went into the interview. I do not know who the girl is. although she apparently knows me from the school we both attended. The girl had told her mother, father and grandmother what had happened but they did not believe her and had dismissed it. Her parents had split up some time ago and not on good terms. Her father moved away up country somewhere. The interview did not last long as I had said from the outset I did not know her, and I did not know anything about the alleged incident. After the interview I was told that I was free to leave. I was not required to give fingerprints, dna or be photographed, so I assume I am not on bail. I was told that they would carry on their inquiries ie contact the girls father to see if she did indeed tell her parents that she had been raped. From what I can gather this girl has had a troubled time, been in counselling when all this surfaced and was told to report it. Had to come home and tell OH how it all went. 5 Minutes ago there was a knock at the door. When I went to open the door all I could see was a flourescent jacket and immediately thought it was the police. Turned out to be a bloody parcel delivery. Still feel stressed out especially as my OH has been through the mill with stage 4 cervical cancer.

Comment

Help0575,

That sounds to me like both good news and bad news.

On the positive side, clearly the evidence against you would appear to be, to say the least flimsy. The Police do give store to contemporary accounts i.e to parents though (imo) this is not that useful in getting a conviction (though it is more useful in terms of convincing the CPS to take it to trial). Given the time it took the police to rock up to your door I would say that indicates that they "don't fancy it", that is to say they are going through the motions, rather than actively investigating since they strongly suspect that 43 years on - this one is going to wind up in the "went nowhere" pile. The fact that you have not been bailed is handy in one respect.

Theirin lies the negatives.

The police are unlikely to rush to go and interview the womans father. Since she is 55, presumably he is no chicken. It could take several months to get around to seeing him, he may or may not spread any light on it. After that they are likely to sit on the file for several months to have "a drink, a think and a ponder" and/or hope something else turns up. I appreciate that sounds nuts - how is something just suddenly going to turn up after 4 decades? But trust me that is what they do. An absence of bail conditions (whilst positive in other ways) is a negative here, because there is no incentive for the police to review the case even in a cursory way every month / three months. Likewise there is no opportunity for you when answering bail to enquire as to where the investigation is (though if you do they will often ignore you). Likewise there is no way you can challenge the police bail in court in an effort o make them defend their stance.

These factors are likely to lead to a loooooooooong "investigation". In your favour somewhat paradoxically, being accused of rape is quite handy. Specifically for rape, the Police are obligated to seek early guidance from the CPS.

In reality it is emcumbent upon you to "chase down" the investigation and this is where a good lawyer comes in. Get them to chase down the OIC in a months time to see if the father has been found / interviewed. A month later ensure that the file has been sent to the CPS or ask when it will be. Two months later ask if a charging decision has been made or the likely date one will be made by and a month later chase down the answer - they often "forget" to inform people that a case has been NFA'd. If when you are getting nowhere - start mentioning it is affecting your business which might "help" the police move it along - since they are offside here.

My advice in the meantime is to write down everything you know about this woman even if it is mot much, your time at school, who your friends were at the time etc etc etc. If you have lost contact with them find your friends on facebook and
        send them a friend request.

Diarise all of the events since the police contacted you and the dates you need to chase your lawyer to do stuff.

Then rock down to your GP get yourself some happy pills, and get on with your life whilst they sort it out (easier said than done - but try)

GL with it

Comment

Working...
        X