Petrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified

Everything was fine until yesterday morning when 2 policemen turned up at my work premises. They informed me that somebody has made an allegation of rape against me. My legs turned to Jelly. I was told that I was not under arrest but was to go to the local police station this Saturday to be formally interviewed with my own solicitor. After the police left I was physically sick. I do not know who the woman is and this was supposed to have taken place in 1973. I was 15 years old at the time and still in school. To be honest I do not know what I was doing 2 years ago let alone 43 years. I had to close my business when the police left and go home to tell the OH. She at first thought it was recent until I said it was supposed to have happened 43 years ago. The allegation was made some months ago but they have only just got round to seeing me? I now feel completely depressed with no interest in work etc. I cannot eat. I did not get any sleep last night, just lying there racking my brains trying to think what I was doing in 1973. I would appreciate any comments from people who is also in or has been in this situation. Saturday is still 5 days away

Sorry to hear this. It's such a shock to the system. It took me about a week to eat properly, but the dark cloud does become a bit brighter. There are people here that will advise you - you have come to the right place.

Comment

Pleased you found the forum sorry you had to.
      There is standing advice on the forum. Please read it. It is a sticky.
      [1] Always go with a criminal solicitor to all Police Interviews.
      [2] The Police are NOT your friends.
      [3] Consider being cagey around what you tell the Police. Not uncommon for them to go back to the "applicant" who then changes their story to match the evidence you have given & progress the case against you. Take you criminal solicitor advice.
      [4] Review the forum for the recommended criminal sol in your area.
      [5] If you can recall anything write it down in a book. You will need to keep all the information not matter how small over the coming months. So you will need to be organised.
      [6] It is a long process,m one that is run at the speed of a glacier with public servants more interested in dunking a Custard Cream in their tea than seeing justice done.
      [7] If you are advised of the applicant's name, consider non-invasive research on public information (Facebook etc) screen shot & print anything you find. Do not fall fowl of the Prevention of Harassment Act 1997 with a course of conduct that amounts to harassment. So no personal visits please!
      [8] Consider the friends you trust 110%. Confide. They will not mind what you say but will evaluate the fidelity with which you say it. There is a crude meter for honesty in extremis that sensible people have. Use it. Carefully.
      [9] User the wisdom of crowds to work through why this has happened & the timing of it. Use the Crowds wisdom to work through all the angles. Do not discount older family members who may appear doddery - they have seen it all before. They may be you best source of information.
      [10] If you drink do so in the house & hand your phone & computer over to a responsible adult whilst you de-stress!
      [11] If Police bailed adhere to all conditions 100%

Rember, above all, you are not alone. Come back here often.
      Kindest regards
      Mr B

Comment

Breathe. This shock is a physical trauma and for me it was almost completely debilitating - I lost over half a stone in a week (and I'm not big to begin with).

I know exactly what you're feeling and, I'm sorry, but it's probably not going to get any better before Saturday - it will likely take weeks to get over this. In the meantime you need to function as best you can. Make yourself eat, do some work if you can, even if it only serves as a distraction. I found distractions to be helpful even when it was very very hard in the first few days. Try not to just sit and stare at the walls because that will only make it feel worse.

I hope this helps, and I feel for you.

Comment

Thanks to all for your advice so far. Went to doctors this morning to have blood tests for an unrelated matter. I was urged to see an emergency doctor who immediately prescribed diazapam to help me sleep. Never had to go through anything like this before. It is like a nightmare from hell.

Comment

Love Mr B's Number 10!!

[10] If you drink do so in the house & hand your phone & computer over to a responsible adult whilst you de-stress!

VERY SENSIBLE!!
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Petrified

Hi all, its now 2 days to go before before I go to be interviewed and I am scared stiff. I have been going over and over in mind what I was doing in 1973 when i was 15 years old. Everything is a complete blank. I do not know the accuser but I assume she was the same age as me. I am now on diazapam to help me sleep. After 3 days I have come back to work to try and take my mind off things. Thinking ahead I do have a solicitor who is attending the interview with me but can anybody give me any info on a good solicitor who deals with historical allegations. Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

Petrified

I forgot to mention that I am in the South West.

Comment

You will get lots of clues about the allegation from the questions.

A common error when faced with a question to which you don't know or can't remember the answer is to 'waffle' i.e. 'fill the silence' with helpful inconsequential information, this coming from a natural desire to help authority.

Unfortunately nothing you tell the police will be used to help you, their job is to get a conviction, not suggesting that you do a 'no comment' interview unless that is what your solicitor advises, but if you can't answer simply say that "due to the passage of time and the fact that I was a youth at the time you are questioning me about, I can't remember"

On the other hand if you can remember, do answer honestly (bearing in mind the interviewers are trained to spot inconsistencies!) but again resist the desire to elaborate, give concise and precise answers, let the interviewers fill the silences.
                  'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

They often fail to spot inconsistencies when it comes to interviewing complainants, I have to say. The interviewer will just rephrase the question and use leading words to get the answer they want.

The will also sometimes twist something you say that is completely innocent, into something sinister. Be guided by your solicitor.

Comment

One possible line of attack

If I understand it correctly, Police procedures are that they should not come to your place of work in order to make inquiries of this kind. This could be worth checking with your solicitor.

I am sure that the Police have available "workarounds" to allow for this in exceptional circumstances (they nearly always do) this but since you mention that the allegations are 43 years old and that the complaint against you was made several months ago, they could be hard pressed to make "exceptional circumstances" stick.

Down the road it might be a tool to bring the inquiry to a conclusion. So for example after a few months, you could get your solicitor to write to the police asking where they are in their investigation, and pointing out that your business is being effected by the uncertainty. Since the police went to your place of work your employee (?!?) are worries they might lose their jobs - something like that.

GL with it

Comment

Hi experience, thanks for the info. Luck has it that I work for myself. I will mention to my solicitor on Saturday morning why they came to my workplace. Thanks.

Comment

I had to return to doctors this morning as I have been prescribed diazapam due to not eating/sleeping etc. First formal interview is tomorrow which I am dreading. I have just had a thought though and that is are you allowed to be interviewed if you are taking prescribed medication. Any advice would be grateful.

Comment

Big question - are you confident with your solicitor? If not, you can still change at this point.

Comment

I have not yet seen my solicitor face to face yet, but am meeting them tomorrow at the police station to be formally interviewed.

Comment

Working...
                              X