Removal of data from the PNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of data from the PNC

Over the last 3 weeks I have made freedom of information requests from all 48 Police Forces in the UK. The request was same statement, but pertinent to the individual force.

"Please could I have details about the number of persons who since 01 September 2011 have had details about them removed from "name of force" records, from the Police National Computer Database entries (invoking 'exceptional case' procedures)."

From the 26 who have replied. This process is determined by the Chief Officer of the individual force. The result is not scientific, but does make an interesting statistic considering the number of people for whom charging never takes place, but an impacting arrest always leaves doubt about their character. Every person who is arrested in the UK will have their data entered on the Police National Computer and only by invoking 'Exceptional Case' procedures (now known as 'Record Deletion Process') are they given the right to ask for data to be removed. It is rare by definition that this will happen. They can refuse to have data removed even if there is case to answer. I was one of the 'lucky ones' and had my data removed after a significant inquiry, finding that I was unlawfully arrested.

Collectively over the last 5 years (1st September 2011 - 1st September 2016) 1683 data records have been removed nationally from a record count of the 9 million data records held.

Averaging 337 a year from 950,000 arrest made.

I cannot find data for those arrested and subsequently dismissed from investigations. The figures do highlight how few people (in my opinion) are successful in getting their PNC record removed, an arrest which would not appear on the individuals DBS check if it were to be removed.
Working...
X