How long for a response from solicitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for a response from solicitors

We're desperately trying to contact solicitors regarding an appeal. I emailed a few on Saturday (yes I know, it's only 9:30am the day after a bank holiday weekend), but I was wondering generally how long it took solicitors to get back to people. We want to get the ball rolling asap.

I'm so sad, and also very angry that we had to look for this forum, and I feel nothing but sympathy for everyone else who has to post on here too.

The old adage about 'If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur' rings true here (they weren't an amateur as such, just not up to the job, we now realise)

Thanks

I'm sorry that you needed to find us. Time seems interminable when you're waiting. I expect it varies from firm to firm how they get through email, but honestly, I wouldn't wait on them, I'd follow up with a phone call.

It's the phone that distinguishes the urgent from the non-urgent. I hope you find someone you can trust soon.
    'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

As franticwithworry said I'd pick up the phone to them. Do you need any help finding solicitors? Have you seen the sticky thread with solicitor recommendations?

I am sorry that you find yourself here. Please let us know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks.

I've had contact with two so far - Stephen Cooper and Chris Saltrese.

We're in limbo though, as we have to wait for the letter from our current solicitor stating if there are any grounds for appeal, before we can do much else.

Comment

Originally posted by veryangry View Post
          Thanks.

I've had contact with two so far - Stephen Cooper and Chris Saltrese.

We're in limbo though, as we have to wait for the letter from our current solicitor stating if there are any grounds for appeal, before we can do much else.

ohhh my god do not go with cooper!! So many complaints about him. My son is in prirson with one guy whose family paid out thousands and he did nothing. he has spoken to other prisoners too who have had thes ame thing or know others who have had the same thing happen to them

I've heard on here and in other forums and groups the Chris Saltrese is the best person to go to in these cases. He works nationally and he will be upfront about how much he charges and you would get proper invoices too.......

Please please be really careful when it comes to cooper......

Comment

opps made a mistake with lightlighting there.....

Comment

Stephen Cooper is not a solicitor. Please take note of what Mrs Forgetful says about him. She is telling the truth. I would never ever recommend him to anybody. Tread very carefully........
              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Don't know Stephen Cooper, so can't comment. But you'd be fine with Chris Saltrese on any appeal stuff.

Best of luck !!!
                Recommended Solicitors --- www.arcadianlaw.com
                Proven results for people accused of False Allegations

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Certainly I know which one I preferred to speak to.

Trying to keep angry, as it gives me the motivation to fight.

Comment

Keep those boxing gloves tied firmly on! Channel the anger into something really constructive!

Comment

Get rid of your anger, keep composed and focus.

If you are on legal aid you are contacting the wrong legal teams, try a local criminal solicitor firm who will take you on, they will have plenty of barristers they know of who can help you.

In terms of a response, don't wait 7 days for a reply, if you have to wait 7 days for a reply you are getting a run of the mill legal representation.

I would expect a response to anything you say within 24 hours, the legal team I used contacted me the same day, some of which involved me phoning them to chase things up. If you have to wait more than 24 hours you are being screwed over.
                      (free) legal assistance | sentencing guidelines

I've been there, so I know what you are going through, keep strong.

Comment

Originally posted by bonbon View Post
                        Get rid of your anger, keep composed and focus.

If you are on legal aid you are contacting the wrong legal teams, try a local criminal solicitor firm who will take you on, they will have plenty of barristers they know of who can help you.

In terms of a response, don't wait 7 days for a reply, if you have to wait 7 days for a reply you are getting a run of the mill legal representation.

I would expect a response to anything you say within 24 hours, the legal team I used contacted me the same day, some of which involved me phoning them to chase things up. If you have to wait more than 24 hours you are being screwed over.
                        Thanks. Yes, I've discounted a couple of solicitors who just haven't got back to me.

In terms of anger, if I wasn't angry I know I'd sink in to a fug and be unable to do anything. At the moment I need to be angry.

We've been seriously let down by legal aid, so we're going to find the money somehow.

Comment

To be fair to the sols it was a Bank Holiday last weekend. Plus they are really busy people and if they spent time answering every single email from non-clients they wouldn't get their own work done. Always better to ring and speak to somebody as emails can get lost in the ether.

Also many LA sols do not take on appeals outside of their own cases.

You don't have to pay to put an appeal into action

Some LA sols are really good in the same way as some privately paid sols, barristers and "legal enquiry agents" are totally useless. Happy to take your money and then do bog all.

http://www.pacso.co.uk is a workshop I've just recently started. It's gives ideas as to what grounds for appeal can be. Once I have finished the cases I am working on I will concentrate on that site to add more to it.

Also you do not need to pay for a solicitor (if you want to go down the private client route). Many barristers can be instructed via direct access.

Before you bombard anyone with emails though, do some work on the case yourself. Put the paperwork into two bundles - prosecution and defence. Then put them into strict chronological order.

If you can afford to buy the JSU - Judge's Summing Up - then contact the court transcribers (ask the convicting court who they were) and ask for a quote for the JSU, giving them the name of the def, the dates of the trial, the trial number (starts with a T).

Read through it all and make notes of what you remember happened at trial while you read the paperwork (don't write on the paperwork - use a separate notebook).

When you have done that, make a precis of the case as a "report", and outline what you think went wrong at trial. Do NOT write down every single inconsistency and discrepancy. The jury heard all that and convicted anyway so it won't help now.

Look for directions the judge should have given:

Burden and standard of proof

Special measures if there were witnesses behind a curtain or giving evidence via video link - the jury must not hold this against the def

If he has previous IRRELEVANT convictions he should be eligible for a modified good character direction

If he is a man of complete good character he is entitled to a proper direction for that

If there is delay between the alleged assaults and bringing to trial there should be a direction for that and it must not disadvantage the def

The judge should outline significant inconsistencies and say that they should treat this evidence with great care or caution

The judge must direct the jury that they cannot speak about the case it small groups, they must all be together in their jury room

The jury cannot discuss the case outside of their number and cannot investigate it online or via newspapers the media etc.

There are many more directions but those tend to be the general ones.

One you have gone through the case and made your "report" you will be ready to instruct a barrister via direct access (I can point you in the right direction) or you can approach a LA solicitor who will take it on - again I can help you with that.

Comment

Thank you RF, all good info.

Comment

Brilliant advice RF, I'll bundle it up & stick it in the 'Useful Information' section & when you have a moment you could add anything else you can think of.

So many new members inquire about appeals that it will be good to have a resource to direct them to.
                              'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
                              X