Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 months after my not guilty verdict: an update on getting my life back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 months after my not guilty verdict: an update on getting my life back.

Hello everyone,

I'm sure some of you have seen a few of my posts. 2 years a go i was accused of sexual assault and was arrested and put on bail for 11 months until i was finally charged. It took a total of 18 months to get to trial. During this time I lost my job, i was kicked out of university and had to move back in with my parents.

After 18 months of waiting,turmoil and preparation aswell as tens of thousands of pounds spent on legal fees. I recieved a unanimous not guilty verdict in under 90 minutes (60 minutes of this was their lunch break).

After arriving home and spending a few days getting used to the idea of being free,the prospect of going forward started to become more daunting. Luckily i had enroled with the open uinversity in september of 2015 and restarted my studies. I set myself the goal of completing my exams, finding a job and getting back my social life.

2 months on from this moment in april, I find myself starting my first day at my new job today (22/06/2016), I recieved my exam results yesterday (I earned a 1/1 (83%)).

In regards to my social life? It's a struggle to engage with people in a socialable way. But that will change with time.

Have I noticed any lasting affects? I still have a lot of anger towards the situation,I struggle to trust people,I've become more understanding, far less confident than before my arrest.

For any users who have sons or husbands in a similar position,Or are still dealing with their false accusation through the police or courts; many times i've thought over the last 20 odd months,that my future was gone,that my life was effectively over. Even when i was found not guilty I felt this way. I've come to the realisation that my life will never be the same,but that doesn't mean it can't be better than it was before.

I hope this is proof to you that a false allegation doesn't have to be the end of you. Best of luck!

(I apologise in advance for typo's, it's another post from my mobile!)

So pleased that things are starting to come together for you! Congratulations on your 1:1 I've a first degree myself and know how much work goes in to that so you have done fantastic.

Good luck at your first day in your new job today and moving forwards. As you say things will be different and you are a different person now but I hope that the effect reduces over time x

Comment

A lot of your thoughts and feelings echoe the way I have felt. I was never arrested or charged but waiting 16 months was very traumatising and undermined my confidence, self esteem and made me highly anxious and agitated. I had to leave my job due to impact on my health. I was never forced to go but couldn't go back after suffering humiliation in the way it was handled by my employers.

I think an experience like this changes your life forever and you are never the same again. Yes you can recover but it leaves a scar. Well done for getting to where you are but I'm not surprised you are angry after the emotional distress and financial costs of the situation.

Comment

Thanks for that encouraging post and I can confirm that with the passage of (a fair amount of!) time emotions do settle down.

However, though my experience wasn't as traumatic as yours, (NFA rather than trial) the memory of the day I was arrested is as clear as if it happened yesterday and I am still extremely careful to not let myself get into a similar situation to the one that led to an accusation.
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thank you for posting good things on here. I hope can say the same soon and all people false accused get justice.

Comment

Working...
          X