Solicitor advises guilty plea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by can it get worse View Post
    I tend to agree with your sol. that it boils down to the jury on the day.

My partner was falsely accused and the case went to trial based upon one person's word. There were inconsistencies, the allegations were far fetched, ridiculous and provable that they could not have happened, yet it still got that far.

Unfortunately, to the detriment of genuine victims of abuse - false accuser's have to be given the same amount of 'belief' from police and CPS.

We used sol. Chris who was fantastic throughout.

As you have already been advised, it is crucial to use a sol. who is experienced in this field. My advise would be to 'shop around' before you make your decision.

sol. Chris seems to be very highly recommended, can only be a good sign! Thank you for sharing your experiences, I hope everything OK worked out in the end. I'm still in a state of shock, can't believe my entire career and everything I have worked for over the last decade has come to an end! The thought of being away from my daughter for any length of time is unbearable let alone several years.

Comment

Great stuff!

The advice is generally to answer questions as best you can in interview, however if you think of something after the interview, that provides an alibi or other helpful witnesses for the defence that you forgot about during the interview (given you've been pulled in usually at silly o'clock and often with no notice) - then do not go to the police with that evidence, as they are likely to put it to the accuser, who will then change his or her story to suit her case.
      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

RF has answered that question if you re-read what was typed.

The Police are not your friend. They have no desire to prove your innocence.

Comment

Passing on information to,police

Originally posted by Bartat
          I found it quite difficult at interview to be honest, I answered all the question put to me the best I could, but did not give much more info, for instance I was expecting to be asked why do you think these allegations have been made? I have a good idea but did not give any information.

I was also not asked how much contact I had had with the accuser, I can think of numerous occasions when I have been contacted for help or support with a problem but never mentioned this either.

I have also recently found out that my accuser and the person in their property a few years ago were fined for criminal damage, they were interviewed and my accuser told the police it was a relative that had caused all the damage again this is totally untrue, I can provide evidence of this.

I constantly think to myself should I contact the OIC and pas this information on, would it help my case, would it help a nfa outcome.

It's really difficult to know how much to share and how much to save in case a charge is brought, does anyone have any thoughts on this and my options.
          Hi there

My advice would be not to,pass on information as RF has said. The police are not there to help you unfortunately. In OH case the temptation to,pass information and evidence to help was tempting to get that NFA but solicitor rightly advised against this. Once he had prosecution pack after charge you could see lies and we were able to get evidence to prove this with a timeline to back this up. all this was put to good use In his defence statement and in the defence evidence produced at court and used by Barrister.
          As previous advice again by RF if produced to,police they will contact FA who will,change story accordingly. All the things you are Uncovering will,assist your defence if case brought to,trial.

Comment

I foolishly left a lot of supporting evidence for myself on my drivers seat for the OIC to find when they inevitably searched every part of my life lol.

Although it didn't appear to impress her as it looked like a typhoon had hit the interior of my shiny relatively new BMW.. I don't think she took much note of it, once I told the duty brief about it being in there. She said to never give anything to the police to support yourself, because you never know when you have a bad apple.

Unfortunately targets are targets and once an allegation is made, you've got the biggest target painted on your freedom.

No matter how preposterous or blatantly untrue it is.

Hope things keep up and I hope that it all works out.

Jb

Comment

Originally posted by joebloggs View Post
              I foolishly left a lot of supporting evidence for myself on my drivers seat for the OIC to find when they inevitably searched every part of my life lol.

Although it didn't appear to impress her as it looked like a typhoon had hit the interior of my shiny relatively new BMW.. I don't think she took much note of it, once I told the duty brief about it being in there. She said to never give anything to the police to support yourself, because you never know when you have a bad apple.

Unfortunately targets are targets and once an allegation is made, you've got the biggest target painted on your freedom.

No matter how preposterous or blatantly untrue it is.

Hope things keep up and I hope that it all works out.

Jb

I'm surprised the OIC didn't make a copy of it all! The duty sol advised you correctly of course and it's a repetition of what is said on here:

"never give anything to the police to support yourself, because you never know when you have a bad apple​!

Comment

I am just beginning my journey through this, despite being initially arrested in August, I was formally charged today. I have lost my house and my job already but am not worried about material things.

My partner and little girl are standing by me, they know I am not capable of what I have been charged with. I have told some friends and neighbours and every single one of them have offered character statements and support. I feel blessed to have such a good support network, just wish I didnt have to use it!

In terms of a 'benefit' I have decided this will not beat me and have used the money from the sale of my house to fund a new venture, I am about to start building a new house with the intention of becoming a property developer. If it comes off I will have significantly improved my annual income and realised a lifelong dream. It could go well for me and be a new and exciting chapter in my family's life, or it could go wrong and my liberty be taken from me for something I have not done. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by panic View Post
                  I am just beginning my journey through this, despite being initially arrested in August, I was formally charged today. I have lost my house and my job already but am not worried about material things.

My partner and little girl are standing by me, they know I am not capable of what I have been charged with. I have told some friends and neighbours and every single one of them have offered character statements and support. I feel blessed to have such a good support network, just wish I didnt have to use it!

In terms of a 'benefit' I have decided this will not beat me and have used the money from the sale of my house to fund a new venture, I am about to start building a new house with the intention of becoming a property developer. If it comes off I will have significantly improved my annual income and realised a lifelong dream. It could go well for me and be a new and exciting chapter in my family's life, or it could go wrong and my liberty be taken from me for something I have not done. We'll see.
                  I like your positively - not sure I could be so positive if I was in your situation. I am glad you have plenty of support - you will need that and resilience so stay strong.

Comment

Originally posted by panic View Post
                    I was formally charged today.
                    So sorry to hear this...

[for the sake of completeness and continuation of the narrative, I've copied this post and Slowdown's response onto your main thread]
                    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

So sorry to hear this but love the positive outlook and it sounds like your well prepared for what comes ahead, glad you have supportive people around.
                      I'm pants at any legal advice so please correct me if this is unhelpful people but if it is a pupil you taught accusing you could the head teacher at the school vouch that he or she was never aware of any sort of inappropriate relationship/ give you a character reference?
                      Last edited by Lilyput; 3 February 2016, 06:25 AM.
                      Who you become while you are waiting is as important as what you are waiting for -Nicky Gumble

Comment

Solicitor advises guilty plea

I have been through a very difficult meeting with my solicitor and barrister last week and wanted to post on here to garner some advice. Despite no physical evidence (obviously) the FA and her friend have a very good and convincing story, that coupled with the nature of my allegations (see previous posts) give me less than 10% chance of a not guilty verdict.

I have been told that a conviction at the end of a trial would leave me facing 10yrs whereas a guilty plea could result in 4yrs or less. The thought of pleading guilty to something I haven't done fills me with dread! However, the thought of 5yrs behind bars away from my little girl is much worse! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Maybe post this at the end of your thread so we don't have to hunt to remind ourselves of what it is about?

Comment

I've looked to find what this was.

I believe your Solicitor and Barrister are duty bound to point out the "benefit" of pleading guilty.

You speak in your original post of your daughter. Pleading guilty will have consequences for her - practical you will be a self-confessed sex offender whilst you may get early release you will not necessarily be allowed contact with her. She will face the stigma of a Dad who said he did it. No one will care that you only admitted it to get a reduction on your sentence.

I know it's incredibly easy for me to say but you can't admit something you didn't do

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                              Maybe post this at the end of your thread so we don't have to hunt to remind ourselves of what it is about?
                              [I've 'added' Panic's first thread in front of his post #41 so that it is easier fro members to review his situation before offering advice]
                              'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thanks CH - much obliged.

I note that the OP was thinking about using Solicitor Chris. I cannot believe that he would advise you to plead guilty so you must be with somebody else.

Only plead guilty if you have committed the offence(s). You will have no chance of appealing the conviction if you plead guilty now and you will be a self confessed sex offender. If you plead guilty and go to prison you will be expected to undertake offence-related courses. If you have not committed the offences then that will be almost impossible unless you re a very good liar.

Comment

Working...
                                X