Defence character witnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence character witnesses

In what instance can the defendant call character witnesses to support them? Can they call on friends/employers/teachers etc? Or do all witnesses have to pertain to the case at hand?

Or could they call on witnesses to corroborate something that the defence has offered up e.g Defendant claims has been very stressed and anxious and a friend comes in as witnesses to that statement, listing behaviours etc.

RF - I'm looking at you here mainly! Ha!

Thanks

response

Good question.

I'am using a close friend who has written a reference for my solicitor and I plan to ask for one from a trusted colleague.
    Not sure if there is a limit etc..

Comment

Our barrister read out seven character witness statements but none were called to give evidence. They basically said they had never witnessed any unusual behaviour between daughter and son, found son to be honest and admitted if he made mistakes. One father commented that son had always acted appropriately round his daughters.

None were allowed to comment on daughter despite knowing her too. I do believe the consistency between the references helped.

Comment

Character witnesses are better if they are people with established careers and who have known the def for yonks - implies reliability and responsibility on the part of the witness so more "credible".

If the witness can say that they have often been in your company when the complainant has been present and they have been perfectly fine around you, that can help.

To look at the other side though, the prosecutor would say that the complainant had been "threatened" with whatever (if he or she said that) which explains why they acted normally. It's **** of course but that's how they twist things.

For instance, visitors to my "family home" have since told me that they knew there was something wrong and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

The best character witnesses of all are ex partners or family members who hate the defendant but still support him and who refuse to believe it.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
        X