Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are men convicted of Rape treated by the prison population?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are men convicted of Rape treated by the prison population?

I am currently awaiting news from the CPS regarding my case. One of my accusors has family and other connections serving in prison. I can't help wondering if this will become a direct threat to me if I am wrongly convicted. Are men accused of rape also attacked and mistreated in prison in the same way child sex offenders are? Should I be asking to be segregated if the worse happens? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi sorry to briefly read about your experience..

From my own experience... . Yes this can be a problem if inmates find out....however as soon as there is the slightest possibility of anyone or a group of inmates causing you harm or distress then you should raise this when you are checked in if you are convicted (hopefully you won't)....

In the prison environment....

Although things have dramatically calmed down over the years.....with better care for inmates....welfare checks for more vulnerable inmates etc

There is still a pecking order....this will usually (but not always) be murderers..... Followed closely by armed robbery inmates....

Right at the bottom.... You have Rape.....sexual... assualt......pedophilel...etc....these people are targeted most...

I'm also in a similar situation being accused of "Rape"

I hope all works out for you

And wish you the greatest of luck

Keep your chin up never give up

Regards
    A12
    Last edited by Casehardened; 16 November 2015, 12:07 PM. Reason: Edited to remove sensitive information
    Turn the pain into power. ::

Comment

I think this is one of those questions which may have a variety of answers depending on experience. I can only comment on what I see happening where my OH is (Greenock) . Generally, all sex offenders are in "protection" as are some "general" population who elect to be there.

There is bullying and intimidation- my OH fortunately has only been targeted by the verbal kind, but that's bad enough and the reaction of the prison officers purely depends on what they are like as people and how they see their duty of care.

When one of my OH's FAs turned up in the next cell, security was indeed heightened and eventually this "man" was moved to a different prison, similarly when another FA was in court for domestic assault the prison officer contacted the court and it was deemed that should this one receive a custodial he should not be sent to the same place as my OH. (Ours is a bit of a complicated story).

At visits there is a "naughty corner" for sex offenders but I have not seen any trouble there, unlike other prisons. In fact the only other visitors who have been there on visits whilst I have are 2 families supporting wrongly convicted men. My OH says as far as he is aware it is unusual for SO to have visits, other than the 3 of them.

Anyway, you're a long way from conviction so chin up- hope it will never come to this
      They tried to bury us- they didn't know we were seeds

Comment

Try not to think about prison. You haven't even been charged yet - as AmandaF says.

In the event of conviction the prison has a duty of care, and anybody convicted of sexual offences would be put onto the VP wing - vulnerable prisoners. This can contain sex offenders (and alleged sex offenders) but also inmates who have been bullied, at risk of physical danger such as ex police officers, people owing money on the main wings etc.

At this stage, it's best to concentrate on what evidence you might be able to gather for your defence should there be a charge.

No offence to Arsenal but I wonder if CH could remove the scary part of that post, as it could cause some to despair and possibly self harm.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Just giving an honest view on my own experience..... I apologise for giving an honest opinion on my own experience.....

In future I will refrain from offering views/advice based on my own life experience...

Apolgese to those offended

To the OP good luck and my apologies

Regards
          Turn the pain into power. ::

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenal12 View Post
            Just giving an honest view on my own experience..... I apologise for giving an honest opinion on my own experience.....

In future I will refrain from offering views/advice based on my own life experience...

Regards
            No problems with offering advice based on your own experiences, we all do this, however I edited your post to remove possible identifying information (should your FA happen to come along!)
            'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Arsenal12 View Post

Regards

Sorry you are upset.

I wasn't suggesting that anybody would be offended at all by what you wrote.

Part of what CH has edited out could have caused some members to be very scared, the falsely accused and/or their families. That is what I was trying to avoid.

Although we sometimes read in the media about sex offenders being attacked in prison, it's usually quite rare as they are put onto VP wings, so have extra protection.

As we know from what we read in the media, some people have committed suicide rather than face prison, guilty or not, as they believe that something horrific will happen to them if convicted.

I am trying to assure people that it is unlikely to happen, hence my response.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm gradually losing hope and sanity in this process. The Police sent my file to the CPS without even interviewing any of my supporting witnesses and I'm facing 3 allegations of rape from 3 girls who all know each other. I have good facebook evidence proving that we all remained good friends long after we each had sex, but this has already done more damage than I can possibly relate to you.
                I never knew what this kind of fear or sense of betrayal could do to me. I'm finding it very difficult to see a future worth living for.

Comment

I think what you're experiencing is part of the emotional roller coaster of the whole sorry siruation.
                  Me and my OH at this point in our journey even considered a suicide pact but as I've said before, that means they;ve won,

We could not begin to understand why one person could do this to another- I don't think FA's have the remotest idea of the consequences of their actions, they just have their own agenda.

As for the police and CPS it would appear they are making up for the blunders of the past (Rotherham and every other case where the true victim has not been listened to). Strange then, that here in S. Yorks there are officers specially trained in detecting those who falsely accuse.And as I have said before , these women make it harded for genuine victims to be heard.

Even after my case was dismissed at trial, without being heard, I am often tormented about what has happened to us. I think about our once happy home in a quiet sleepy village, overlooking the loch, (it's been repossessed now) , my job that I loved, great friends we had made and yes, I am bitter.

But as Arsenal says, we have to somehow turn that pain into power.

I can fully understand where you are, but just keep on plodding through the quagmire- there really is no other option.
                  They tried to bury us- they didn't know we were seeds

Comment

Originally posted by matt1701 View Post
                    Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm gradually losing hope and sanity in this process. The Police sent my file to the CPS without even interviewing any of my supporting witnesses and I'm facing 3 allegations of rape from 3 girls who all know each other. I have good facebook evidence proving that we all remained good friends long after we each had sex, but this has already done more damage than I can possibly relate to you.
                    I never knew what this kind of fear or sense of betrayal could do to me. I'm finding it very difficult to see a future worth living for.

Usually the police have absolutely no interest in talking with helpful defence witnesses. Some do and then pretend that they are witnesses for the prosecution and then tell them they cannot speak to the defence side - this is untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                      Usually the police have absolutely no interest in talking with helpful defence witnesses. Some do and then pretend that they are witnesses for the prosecution and then tell them they cannot speak to the defence side - this is untrue.
                      That's absolutely shocking!

I have posted my story in other threads, here it is again. If anyone can offer any advice or thoughts at this stage I would be indebted to you. I have very little in the way of support and have been unable to discuss it. As you can imagine, I'm pretty messed up now.

In 1999 at the age of 20, I was invited back to an 18 year old female's house after we had been to the pub. One thing lead to another and there was a little foreplay (no actual sex) I stayed all night and after a brief, pleasant chat in the morning. I went home a little hungover.
                      4 months later she called me up really drunk accusing me of rape. I immediately responded with "I don't know what you're playing at, but I suggest you phone the Police." She didn't, and fairly quickly the accusation became common knowledge between our mutual friends. I was open and honest about it and never avoided discussing it, then, or since. Almost as soon as it started, the allegation faded out and I got the impression that she'd just regretted our one night stand and rather than having to admit she was embarrassed, she foolishly pulled the rape card. Stupid, but not uncommon sadly. Everyone who knew about it was in agreement with me as far as I know.
                      Fast forward to September 2008. Another female friend of mine accompanied me home from the pub (neither of us were drunk) where we had sex - initiated by her. Afterwards, she seemed a little awkward and then told me that she had a boyfriend in another town and asked me not to tell anyone we had slept together because she didn't want him to know. This made me feel a bit weird but I respected the request and honored it. She later got a taxi home.
                      My friend remembers us both leaving the pub and he got the impression we were going to sleep together. He is happy to give a statement supporting this but the Police never contacted him or anyone else who I asked them to call in support of my case.
                      Myself and girl 2, stayed in touch regularly and on Christmas day of the same year, she spent most of the day with me at my house - just the two of us (Facebook messages verifying all of this have been passed to the police.) Over the next few months we grew apart a little, not in a weird way -and then in the summer of 2012, while at a party, she came out with the accusation that I had raped her. She is also friends with my first accuser and the previous accusation was already known to her at the time of her complaint.
                      This time I was a little more upset. We had been good friends and I couldn't understand why she would do such a thing. When I found out about it I again concentrated on affirming my innocence and for her to contact the police rather than shouting about it tastelessly in public. Again, everything calmed down.
                      In March of this year I was arrested on suspicion of 3 counts of rape. The 2 mentioned above and a third - ANOTHER mutual friend of the first 2. She was also a close friend of mine who I had fallen out of touch with. We had slept together on one occasion in the past with NO shadow of a doubt about consent and I again, have facebook messages showing that we were still in cordial contact for some months afterwards. I had no idea about this accusation until the Police told me.
                      The first accusation from 1999, I see as a separate beast from the others. It was clearly a poorly conceived attempt to cover embarrassment on her part and it was fairly obvious. I wasn't even that bugged about it at the time because it was such an obvious sham.
                      The next two are a little darker.
                      Both of the latter girls and myself - and indeed all of our social group at the time were heavy Ketamine users.
                      They have both spun this fact with their complaints to imply that I had given them drugs and then gone on to take advantage of them. The fact is we ALL took drugs at that time and sleeping with someone on drugs was no different to sleeping with someone who had been drinking tea. It's sad but true. I reiterate there was NEVER and question of doubt regarding consent in any of these cases and the facebook evidence shows clearly that the accusations came into being LONG after the incidents after a remaining period of friendship in both cases. In the case of girl 1, I regret that it's simply my word against hers. It was 16 years ago and there was no social networking back then.
                      In the cases of girls 2 and 3 -
                      Thankfully, as I said, there is good facebook evidence to at least prove that we were still in regular friendly contact long after the times of the respective complaints in BOTH cases. This doesn't detract from the fact that these accusations are AWFUL and without knowing all the facts it would be easy to judge.
                      I was bailed in March to return in October. The OIC called me two days before my bail date to tell me that the case was being sent to the CPS for a decision and that I was at that point being taken OFF bail while waiting to hear what's going to happen???
                      So now I'm waiting to hear if I am to be charged, mentally ruined with my career on the line and Chinese whispers all around me regarding the case - which the Police are STILL forbidding me to discuss which is fueling suspicion.
                      I have also discovered that NONE of the five people whom the police should have contacted regarding my side of the story have heard from them, much less given statements. The Police said there was "A lack of willingness to give statements" from some of them and "Difficulty contacting" others. Having checked with all involved they're all happy to talk to the police and my solicitor has sent their numbers to the Police asking them to follow it up.
                      So here I am Tick, Tock. I'm petrified of being prosecuted and publicly shamed. I am the primary carer for my Dad, he has Alzheimers disease - If I'm imprisoned wrongly over this bull**** - he will very likely die while i'm inside.
                      I am at the end of my tether and completely at a loss as to what to do or expect.

Comment

Just wanted to drop in and say hi.
                        We're with you in limbo land.
                        Rebailed, waiting for decision.
                        All I can say is hope for the best -prepare for the worst!
                        The last thing we want is a charge and were clinging to the hope that there is still a chance of an NFA.
                        If my OH is charged (and it is only an "if" at this stage) I don't want to be so shocked that I can't help him, so although I am keeping optimistic, I'm not complacent.
                        Hang in there!
                        Even if you're charged, you're a long way off prison.
                        Guard your evidence like its the Crown Jewels! There's plenty there that would be useful at trial!
                        Get the solicitor right and throw good defence evidence into the mix and the truth will out.
                        In the meantime you've not been charged so try and think positively!
                        Take care of yourself,
                        Keep posting - it's what we're all here for!
                        Big hugs
                        YoH

Comment

Thanks for the support. God knows we all need it. Please accept my best wishes and good luck.
                          I can't help feeling like this whole process has been loaded unfairly against me from the start.
                          Surely it's time for an overview in the way the law deals with this stuff??

The accusation alone constitutes evidence and doesn't need corroborating. - WHY?

If charged, my name will be released to the media before any verdict is reached, effectively vilifying me while still innocent. - WHY?

This nightmare will remain on my criminal record indefinitely effecting some of my major life choices for ever, even if no charges are brought. - WHY?

I daresay many of you can add to the injustices on this list. It's deplorable and not demonstrative of a fair or just legal system in my opinion.
                          I have always had respect for the Police and the law and worked closely and effectively with the police on a regular basis. Now they mean to wrongly attack and convict me over a pack of lies! FOR SHAME!!

Comment

Working...
                          X