Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA sampling - Routine?

Hello.

I was contacted by the officer in charger of the case, requesting if they could come round to my address and obtain a cheek swab from me to be admitted into forensic evidence for the case. I was told this was routine for all cases of this nature and should of been done on my arrest however got missed due to a technical fault on the day. I was informed I was well within my rights to refuse this and have my solicitor present at the time, I went along with this in the hope that it would speed the process up, I was told if I refused it would be done on my bail date whether I consented or not.

I can't help feeling that this occurring eludes that they have found forensic evidence detrimental to my defence.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or been through a similar experience?

Thanks

Hi, I wouldn't be concerned or read into this, it is routine procedure.
    Where are you at in the process? Has your case gone to cps yet?

Comment

As Joe says, this is perfectly routine and has nothing to do with your particular case (if forensics were necessary they wouldn't have 'forgotten')

The DNA samples are run through the system to see if they will solve any cold cases (i.e. ones where an accusation was lodged but no arrest followed) for which they have DNA on file.
      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by joe_3178 View Post
        Hi, I wouldn't be concerned or read into this, it is routine procedure.
        Where are you at in the process? Has your case gone to cps yet?

No I'm told not, they are still to examine my phone. I was told they are hopeful it will happen soon and the case is moving swiftly in comparison to others.

Comment

If this comes to trial and you have refused to give a DNA sample, then it will probably go against you. Despite the fact they say it is voluntary, the Crown could take an adverse inference relating to that in their closing speech to the jury, should their be a trial.

"Well ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant was offered the chance to have a swab taken, that might have proved his innocence. He chose not to, and of course he was within his rights to do that. However, why would he not eagerly accept the chance to prove his innocence, when given it?....."
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Taken at its simplest.

Your DNA will now be on the database. It's standard procedure. There are numerous methods that the Police can use to obtain your DNA, an arrest/charge being the norm.

It is not just YOUR DNA that is now on file. The DNA of family will also be present within your DNA, this can then be background analysed to see if any DNA which closely matches your DNA forms part of any cold cases where DNA has been taken but there has not yet been a match.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/bio...lial-searching

It's all incredibly complex but there are times when this method is successful. A teenager is arrested for a minor crime, DNA is processed and then the uncle is arrested for a murder that took place 30 years ago (for example).

As for you and your case. The DNA is routine but, as I've detailed, there is a lot more involved than simply 'routine'. It's part of a larger picture.

There's nothing to be gained or lost through providing a sample. They will obtain a sample regardless so best to show compliance for fear of damaging your defence.
            Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Working...
            X