Brother falsely accused of historic child abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother falsely accused of historic child abuse

My brother has been falsely accused of historic child abuse by his half sister. She says this happened in 1980 to 1982 when she was 10 to 12 years of age and my brother was 18 to 20 years of age. She says the alleged abuse happened on 5 occasions and that my brother used tools/implements inside her as well as raping her. This accusation has come as a complete shock not only to my brother but, to all the family. The half sister has a psychiatric history where she attempted suicide......her boyfriend committed suicide recently....... and like other posts I've read on forums, has also accused other people of abuse.We don't know what happened after they were accused.

Two weeks ago when my brother was working away, he received a phonecall asking him to go into the police station in our home town for an informal 'chat'. He had to drive home and we all insisted he take a solicitor with him. The police said he didn't need one but, he took one anyway. Then he was completely floored by the accusations. I don't think he's ever had a big argument with his half sister over the years. Last year their dad passed away and there was some disagreement with funeral arrangements ....I suppose this happens in most families.

My brother has an adult daughter, teenage step daughter and adult step son. The social services are involved and are asking them questions. My brother is staying at his daughter's house at the weekend when he's not working away. He is not allowed to go and live at his fiancee's house due to his step daughter being a teenager. It's ridiculous as he's been a fantastic dad to all three children for years and he's a fantastic uncle to my two children. No one could ask for a better father or uncle in my opinion.

The police questioned him and released him on bail until the beginning of November. This morning he spoke to his solicitor who told us that it's the half sister's word against my brother and he could serve 10 to 12 years in prison. We are just devastated. How can an innocent man be sent to prison just because someone has a grudge and has made up lies about her own brother ? We're all devastated.....we know he's innocent. If you knew my brother you'd understand he would never do anything like this.

He's now waiting to speak to his solicitor in a face to face meeting. We're all losing hope by reading other posts on these forums.

So sorry!

I feel your pain so bad!
    A sorry welcome to the forum.
    You will find lots of useful advice here and we're all in the same boat (albeit with differing stories)
    We too are facing historic allegations.
    In the current media frenzy with these types of allegations, the police/authorities are obliged to be fairly heavy handed.
    BUT please do not panic!
    The best advise I can offer is to prepare yourselves for the long haul.
    It's a total nightmare but you and he must trust your innocence.
    Start making notes and timelines of the period involved.
    Not only will this keep you focused it will also offer up things long forgotten which may help with a defence (if needed).
    Do not lose hope because people have survived this but be prepared for the fight of your lives.
    Read this link before you do anything:

http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...at-happens-now

Keep posting and stay calm!!
    We're here to help
    YoH

Comment

Cazzle

Sorry to have to welcome you to these forums. Not sure why you are losing hope having seen threads on here. Many of them relate to NFA's or Not guilty Verdicts. Look for those and you'll see that sometimes the right outcomes does happen.

Why the police would say he did not need a solicitor I really do not know. They are supposed to persuade "suspects" to take the services of a duty sol even when they don't want to. At the very least they have to tell them that the "suspect" is entitled to one.

Hold on in there.
      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Follow up

The woman who accused my brother now says she hasn't spoken to my brother since 1987. However, my brother has found video evidence of her at family 'get togethers' in the 1990's and she is on the video laughing, smiling and saying to her daughter who was a toddler then 'go and tell your uncle ******** that you're looking at his fish' (he had an aquarium back then). The police are wanting copies of the videos. Will they confront her with this evidence? Also my brother's ex wife has kept all greetings cards from the day she was born and there are greeting's cards from the woman who has falsely accused my brother - also from way after 1987. The woman who has accused him has severe memory problems if she cannot remember being filmed at parties but, she can apparently remember clearly the 'abuse' (I say it in inverted commas as there was no 'abuse') that happened over 30 years ago ! She's obviously an 'unreliable witness' (blatant liar). Has anyone gone through anything similar to this?

Comment

Welcome to this side of the world Cazzle18

I dont know if you have done some research and browsed different posts. But handing over that video ecidence at this stage apparently will give police time to change Their timing of alleged incidents. I think its best seeking legal help before doing that.Like you mentioned she has severe memory loss, thatll be a good excuse.

I wish i had found this site before my interview, now i know some scary things about the system. Not that i was a fan anywhere. kk

More experienced members will hopefully come along and explain.
          The best to your brother
          Last edited by Soul2soul; 11 September 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul2soul View Post
            Welcome to this side of the world Cazzle18

I dont know if you have done some research and browsed different posts. But handing over that video ecidence at this stage apparently will give police time to change Their timing of alleged incidents. I think its best seeking legal help before doing that.

I wish i had found this site before my interview, now i know some scary things about the system. Not that i was a fan anywhere. kk

More experienced members will hopefully come along and explain.
            The best to your brother
            What do you mean by 'the police can change the timing of alleged incidents?'. Forgot to add that the Social workers are happy that no abuse has occurred with my niece and step niece/nephew.

Comment

Read through the threads and you will see what Soul2Soul means.

It's good that SS are leaving you alone

Comment

We are in a similar situation.
                My OH was very open in interview about things, going with the "I've nothing to hide" feeling.
                I don't know if it's better to wait for a trial to give this info to police but it's clear in most cases the accuser often will change the dates to fit the evidence given in defence.
                They can change their story and claim that it's the "trauma of the abuse" that muddled them!
                One of the complainants has said that they have tried to bring the abuse out for years but nothing was done. However we have been at family parties with them since then and been with them on many occasions even up til 2013.
                Would you have someone who abused your child at your party?
                I know I wouldn't be anywhere near them!
                What the police will do to get round this I don't know but they will try and find a way!
                Let's hope common sense prevails in both our cases!!
                Best of luck to you
                Stay strong!
                YoH

Comment

You have the video that proves she's a liar. If you give that to police they will just get her to change the dates. Making the video useless for your brothers defence. The police are not looking for the truth. They are only trying to build a case.

Before my fa I had a lot of respect for the police - not any more.

Comment

Update

My brother's solicitor is having a copy of the video and he also said the police could have one.

I sent an email to Chris Saltrese and he replied within 2 days (I wasn't expecting that at all!). My brother has spoken to one of the partners today and is more upset than before. He said he had 10 minutes of gruelling interrogation over the phone and he thinks it's not looking good for his case. The solicitor is getting back to him later today but, has anyone else been interrogated like this? I suppose they have a job to do but, my brother said he felt like he was in the dock !!
                    Last edited by Casehardened; 1 October 2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Do you mean that your brother spoke with a solicitor at Chris's office? There are no "partners" there as far as I know.

I'll add you as a contact so you can explain a bit more. I am so sorry you have had this experience as this doesn't sound like Chris at all.

He was at trial all last week, hence the two day wait for his response.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                        Do you mean that your brother spoke with a solicitor at Chris's office? There are no "partners" there as far as I know.

I'll add you as a contact so you can explain a bit more. I am so sorry you have had this experience as this doesn't sound like Chris at all.

He was at trial all last week, hence the two day wait for his response.
                        My brother rang me and said it wasn't Chris himself....as he was busy no I assumed it was a partner. We can't believe all this is happening....it's a living nightmare ....I'm hoping my brother stays strong through this....we're doing all we can to help

Comment

Just tried to send a PM to you but it doesn't seem to be working. I've emailed you from your profile. Please do check your junk / spam folders.

Comment

another update

My brother wants one of the bits editing from the forum (just in case the alleged 'victim' is reading forums on falsely accused) - I don't know how to do it??? Also Chris Saltrese Solicitor got back to my brother yesterday afternoon and was under the wrong impression earlier in the day that my brother had been 'charged' (hence the interrogation). He put my brother's mind at ease and spoke to him about what happens next (there's a good chance he may be 're-bailed' ) and also that Chris Saltrese doesn't get involved until the case goes to court (if it does). It sounds like there's a good chance it won't get there with the evidence we have.

My own children are so angry that this is happening to their uncle (who they adore) that they want to go to the police to be character witnesses. My eldest is 14 and my youngest is 11. Would this help my brother in any way? (my husband and I also want to go as well as many other family members)...anything we can do to help his case, we're more than willing to do. My brother is seeing his solicitor in a couple of weeks and he was going to ask him if it would be a good idea to get as many character witness statements as possible.

Comment

Did you get my email?

Was it Chris himself who rang? Even if there had been a charge the conversation should not have come across as an interrogation. The other sol is actually lovely

Character witnesses are good as it shows the def has support. However not all would give evidence and the best - as in those who have known him the longest, have good jobs or had good jobs for long periods of time (shows they are consistent in their work practices so more credible) - would be the ones to give their testimonies as to character.

Children as character witnesses in these cases can be a double edged sword. It could be construed that the children have been "groomed" to give positive evidence. They could still write letters so that the judge can see them and decide whether they should be read.

Comment

Working...
                              X