DBS checks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DBS checks...

Hi everyone, hopefully somebody here will be able to help me.

over 2 years ago now my husband was falsely accused and at trial was found not guilty.

I have (as his wife) been offered a job at a school. They require a DBS check on me (not sure if standard or enhanced at this stage, as it's not directly with students) but my husband is concerned that his past will show up on my check.

Is this the case? I thought probably not since I figured the check is personal to me, but wanted to check beforehand. my husbands case was not common knowledge and was never in the media or anything - so we'd like to keep it where it belongs, in the past!

Many thanks in advance if you can help xxx

I know that ECRB checks are wholly personal and I imagine DBS checks are the same. I wouldn't worry about it but it might be worth talking to Citizen's Advice, they should be able to find out for you.

Comment

Enhanced disclosures are not personal - mine wasn't anyway but there again it could have been as I was facing my own charges. Mine had ALL my partner's alleged misdemeanours on it. However, I went for an interview for my current post and was honest- on a need to know basis - about the fact that I was facing a trial. I was offered the post anyway as I must have interviewed well and had very good references. when I saw the disclosure I died a thousand deaths and grimly took it to my new manager, who then referred it the HR manager. As I was never suspended from my previous post, I was allowed to take up my new job within days. So what I'm saying is- as long as YOU are not on either or both barred lists, it's up to the discretion of the employer. Hope that helps. It is always best to be honest, but in no more detail than you need to be
      They tried to bury us- they didn't know we were seeds

Comment

My understanding is that it there is a possibility that it shows up. I believe it depends upon the processor and what information they have. However, you can make representation against it and the DBS officer can seek assistance from the OIC.

And of course a prospective employer can appoint regardless of the result. But I guess this would be dependant upon the role of the job.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

On balance I feel it would be best not to go any further with this job offer - my husband understandably is too concerned about his past becoming common knowledge.

I feel the way these checks are carried out are very unfair, but still - we all know about the unfairness these situations bring!

Many thanks to you all xx

Comment

Just going back to your original post, if you want the job, you could always just mention that something may appear on your check that happened a while ago that might affect the job offer. Apply for the DBS- it goes to you, not your potential employer, then if it's all clear you can decide what to do from there.

Comment

Oops! Really sorry- I stand corrected here!! The employer can now view it on line? I need to check on their website.

Comment

My brother worked as a care assistant before he was FA.
                Last week he got the NFA. WILL he be able to.apply for similar job. ..or will show in his DBS the acaccusation?
                Thank you

Comment

Based on what i have read , you can still apply , at the end of the day he has done nothing wrong....but he might be best to disclose the information and be upfront etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X