Wrongly Arrested for Cyber Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigCalves View Post
    Thanks mate it's good advice, I just find it hard to put energy into anything still. My birthday coming round was a kick in the nuts because it was so soon after my last birthday that they arrested me and took all my stuff.

I actually managed to speak to the police today and got more than "we will let you know when we know". Apparently our stuff has recently been sent off to computer forensics. It only took nearly a year of my life.

Hopefully it could be over in a few weeks. I'm trying not to get my hopes up again, as I've read so many stories that get to this point, then they get ****ed up the arse by the police again. I read about one guy and his wife where it lasted over a year, then when they finally had their compuiters etc checked, they didn't get it back! The police said that because they didnt find anything, they were extending the case to see if they could find something!

Anyway, I can nearly see a light at the end of this tunnel. I'll keep you guys updated..

I hate to put a dampener on this man but I've heard that computer forensics can take months. Any forensics is time consuming because they're so understaffed but computers apparently take the longest.
    Sorry like but look at it this way: The computer forensics people are the actual computer and cyber crime experts. It'll take them a long time to analyse your gear but when they do that will surely clear your name, or at least give you a very very strong defence, when they find no evidence that you have committed the crime.
    If I were you I would speak to the officer in charge of your case and see if you can get an estimate on how long it will take to get your stuff back. Just buy an Xbox or something in the meantime :-/

Comment

Originally posted by StressedNE View Post
      I hate to put a dampener on this man but I've heard that computer forensics can take months. Any forensics is time consuming because they're so understaffed but computers apparently take the longest.
      Sorry like but look at it this way: The computer forensics people are the actual computer and cyber crime experts. It'll take them a long time to analyse your gear but when they do that will surely clear your name, or at least give you a very very strong defence, when they find no evidence that you have committed the crime.
      If I were you I would speak to the officer in charge of your case and see if you can get an estimate on how long it will take to get your stuff back. Just buy an Xbox or something in the meantime :-/
      Aye it's been 10 months already, but they said they checks should be finished soon and I should heard back from them in the next few weeks now.

As for an xbox etc we simply haven't had enough money, and we don't have a TV to play it on anyway, so that's another expense. Maybe I could hook it up to this monitor, but I'm not sure. (I ended up out of work after I was injured, then welfare and student finance ****ed us over for a good while, so we're still recovering from that too.) As if that wasn't enough stress when I was at my poorest and lowest point after not working, and not training, that's when I got arrested, and had all my electronics taken away, great timing eh.

Comment

Originally posted by jittery View Post
        Glad to hear it!, fingers xd, and let's hope it's over for you soon!
        Stay strong!
        Thanks, I really hope so!

Comment

Lawyer got in touch today, said the cops have been in touch with him and tried to contact me. All out stuff was negative and they are returning it

Calling them first thing in the morning. Can't even begn to explain how I feel. Thank you all for your support here, so much.

Comment

Lawyer got in touch today, said the cops have been in touch with him and tried to contact me. All out stuff was negative and they are returning it

Calling them first thing in the morning. Can't even begn to explain how I feel. Thank you all for your support here, so much.
            So pleased for you! The truth outs again!!
            You'll be relieved to get the stuff back and get your lives back on track!
            Take your time over it and in the meantime....

Comment

Woo Hoo

Woo Hoo! Good stuff! Free the large legged one!

Comment

Wow, more good news, well done!
                'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thanks friends

Called the cops this morning to find out the officer in charge isn't even bloody in. So I get to wait until next week, they said they will call me back but I'm not waiting again, apparently the have been trying to call me for a week, but I have no missed calls from them, no texts or voicemails. So I'll just start calling them first thing again.

Does anyone know what the deal is regarding compensation? They basically ****ed my life for nearly a year, for something they could have seen before busting into my house and taking all of my things. I've lost touch with friends, been sick the whole time, my career stopped. Not to mention what my wife had to go through! She's had to finish her uni course with over three years of work and resources taken from her. Or do we just have to accept we are in a police state and will occasionally be ****ed up the arse with no way out?
                  Last edited by BigCalves; 12 June 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Hi BC

Glad to hear your great news.

On the subject of compensation, in my experience and that of others it is very unlikely. If you look at the bigger picture the justice system is flatly refusing to recognise mistakes it makes or payout compensation.

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mS...W6SlZpcU.hjNM-

This illustration is not made to minimise the impact the last twelve months have had on your life, but if they are flatly refusing to compensate men who have suffered years of imprisonment you can imagine that any compensation for the falsely accused is very unlikely. Actions against the police are very difficult to bring.

If you want to make a protest , you could always make a complaint via the IPCC (or in your case the Scottish equivalent )but don't expect very much. You could also combine this with a letter to your MP and copy him into the IPCC complaint. We went through this process with very little success but thought it important to do so , as a complaint is registered and we have pointed out the shortcomings in the treatment we received.

It is possible to bring civil actions against false accusers but for this to be worthwhile the FA would have to have considerable money or assets.
                    The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

St Augustine

Comment

Pretty much what I expected, thanks for confirming. I will put a complaint in anyway, it's ridiculous how it's all happened. The hacking and use of my social media account was obvious, there was trolling all over my account the week the stuff was uploaded (I still dont know exactly what it was or how much). My account was accessed by IPs that I never use, they could have seen all this without ever having to arrest me, or take my stuff for nearly a year. Useless twats.

Comment

Working...
                      X