No announcement yet.

Accused of Sexual Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment I'm on legal aid but I could potentially raise the money to pay privately. I just want to get the best person I possibly can.

Comment

Though to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to pay top dollar. I don't even know how much this sort of thing costs.

Comment

Cost can vary hugely between solicitors and barristers. You could give the guy in my signature a ring and ask roughly how much he would charge. You'd get a QC in with that. The downside is, that when you are found not guilty you do not get a penny back, so basically you are paying for the privilege of being found not guilty.

I do hope things change from the 7th May after the elections. This Government has slashed legal aid left right and centre and sols/barristers are now only paid by the case not by the hour. So one defence case might take a week to put together, a more complicate one might take 6 months, and LA will pay the same for both, at the lower end of the scale.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Just had a very reassuring conversation with my solicitor. She's allayed a lot of my fears and worries regarding how this could play out. I now have two solicitors saying that NFA is the most likely course of action. While I'm still preparing for the worst I feel like I might be able to relax this evening. What a rollercoaster. Half an hour ago I was sure I was going to get charged.

Comment

My case has now gone to the CPS. I've had my bail conditions relaxed (I live on the same street as my accuser and have been staying at parent's place. I've been told I can move back into the flat as long as I don't try to contact her. As if!) and the OIC is now saying that she thinks it's unlikely to go any further. A few more weeks and hopefully this will all be over. Feeling almost back to normal but obviously it's going to be there in the background until I get an official NFA.
            Last edited by StressedNE; 29 April 2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Everything crossed

Comment

StressedNE you dan get through this. It sounds positive but our solicitor always said you can never tell whatsgoing to happen. The truth will win i have faith in that!

keep posting and updating us. this forum is so valuable for support and information.
                KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. SCREEN SHOT EVERYTHING.

Comment

Let's hope

Originally posted by StressedNE View Post
                  My case has now gone to the CPS. I've had my bail conditions relaxed (I live on the same street as my accuser and have been staying at parent's place. I've been told I can move back into the flat as long as I don't try to contact her. As if!) and the OIC is now saying that she thinks it's unlikely to go any further. A few more weeks and hopefully this will all be over. Feeling almost back to normal but obviously it's going to be there in the background until I get an official NFA.
                  Sounds good, my OIC told me he didn't think things would go further and he was right, let's hope it's the same for you

Comment

Originally posted by jittery View Post
                    Sounds good, my OIC told me he didn't think things would go further and he was right, let's hope it's the same for you
                    I'm surprised they told you that I thought they were meant to be impartial and not give opinions. I had something similar when I was bailed where a young male officer said he would take me home because " we don't want to waste anymore of your time" I was slightly taken aback because for all he knew, at such an early stage, I could have being telling a pack of lies during my interview. Assumingly he took me at face value.

Comment

Some OIC's are decent and well aware of what it going on; when I was arrested mine asked my wife what her feelings would be towards my accuser if it turned out that she was lying.

I still don't know if this was an off-the-cuff comment or a carefully contrived hint at the eventual outcome but it can be imagined this was something we clung to during the dark times.
                      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by jittery View Post
                        She said to one of the witnesses after interviewing her that it was 'unlikely to go any further'. She also told me over the phone that 'it was pretty clear cut' and 'once the CPS see it it shouldn't take them long to reach a decision'. All positive stuff.

Comment

fingers xd

Originally posted by StressedNE View Post
                          She said to one of the witnesses after interviewing her that it was 'unlikely to go any further'. She also told me over the phone that 'it was pretty clear cut' and 'once the CPS see it it shouldn't take them long to reach a decision'. All positive stuff.
                          Well let's hope that's the way it will go for you

Comment

So apparently my last communication with the OIC was erroneous in that my case has not yet gone to the CPS. I spoke to her today and she said that she had a couple of small things to confirm regarding phone records, that it was nothing to worry about, and that it would be sent off this week. This does however mean I'm likely to be rebailed in three weeks time which is a bit of a blow.

I asked her for her opinion on whether she thought they were likely to charge and she said words to the effect of that it was one of those cases where it could go either way and that the CPS sometimes surprise them with their decisions (which I read as 'I'd be surprised if they did'). I'm assuming this is more or less what she has to say but it's still a pretty scary thing to hear. Spoke to my solicitor shortly afterwards and he said not to listen to that as he was 100% sure it was going nowhere. He's very experienced by all accounts so I'm clinging to that for the time being.

Still, not a good day. Looking at another 4-6 weeks as a minimum. Not sure how much more of this I can take, I haven't committed a crime, it just feels like it's all so out of proportion. I just want to put this behind me and get on with my life.

Last edited by StressedNE; 11 May 2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Another crappy day. Nothing new has happened with my case but my solicitor is busy finding out if it's been sent to the CPS yet. I feel so ill and stressed. The headaches are back and I can't seem to take my mind off it. Bail is next Thursday and I'm expecting to get rebailed while the CPS make a decision.
                              I'm very much aware of the fact that despite the positive noises coming from all quarters one can never tell what the CPS will do. I'm terrified that I'm going to be one of these people who Rights Fighter has mentioned who get told their case will go nowhere and yet still end up behind bars. I don't know how I'll get through another 10/12 months of this if it goes to trial. I'm confident I could beat it in a courtroom but obviously that's something that I'm hoping will not happen. It's just horrendous.
                              Last edited by StressedNE; 19 May 2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I've found that those who end up behind bars often have not had the right solicitor and barrister on the case. You've got here before all that, so hopefully IF there is a charge, then you can be directed to a good solicitor in the area

Hang on in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X