No announcement yet.

Wrongly convicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in Staffordshire. I've been sleuthing it for 6 months Thank you so much for your advice, I'll see what I can find regarding "innocent projects". The prosecution had no evidence whatsoever, it was relating to alleged incidences more than a decade ago - very difficult to disprove, but the fact that a man can be convicted when there's no evidence, only a corroboration of hearsay (and a jilted ex who had threatened to get him back) is a complete shocker, (also a lack-lustre defence team that only submitted half the evidence available to them. It seems to me that no-one really cares as long as they all get paid at the end of the month!
    I'm very interested in looking at getting information from the police, did you go this route? I've heard that they can use 'discretion' when giving background history to the court which is something I'd like to pursue further.
    I'd just like to say how refreshing it is to get feedback from you, i've been on a very lonely & frustrating journey.

Comment

Feeling for you

Originally posted by LetDownByLegalSystem View Post
      I'm in Staffordshire. I've been sleuthing it for 6 months Thank you so much for your advice, I'll see what I can find regarding "innocent projects". The prosecution had no evidence whatsoever, it was relating to alleged incidences more than a decade ago - very difficult to disprove, but the fact that a man can be convicted when there's no evidence, only a corroboration of hearsay (and a jilted ex who had threatened to get him back) is a complete shocker, (also a lack-lustre defence team that only submitted half the evidence available to them. It seems to me that no-one really cares as long as they all get paid at the end of the month!
      I'm very interested in looking at getting information from the police, did you go this route? I've heard that they can use 'discretion' when giving background history to the court which is something I'd like to pursue further.
      I'd just like to say how refreshing it is to get feedback from you, i've been on a very lonely & frustrating journey.
      I really feel for you! My hubby has been accused of rape almost 10 years ago. It's extremely difficult to have a defence against it as it was a long time ago. Fortunately I do keep a diary and a lot of events are written down which helps with a "time line". But I am painfully aware that if it's her word against his then there could easily be a conviction!
      I guess the emphasis should be on the legal team and getting a good one!
      Thinking of you in your situation and can offer nothing but a level of empathy!
      Wish we could do more!
      Sending hugs

Comment

Originally posted by YearsOfHell View Post
        I really feel for you! My hubby has been accused of rape almost 10 years ago. It's extremely difficult to have a defence against it as it was a long time ago. Fortunately I do keep a diary and a lot of events are written down which helps with a "time line". But I am painfully aware that if it's her word against his then there could easily be a conviction!
        I guess the emphasis should be on the legal team and getting a good one!
        Thinking of you in your situation and can offer nothing but a level of empathy!
        Wish we could do more!
        Sending hugs
        Thank you for your supportive words, we had a situation of three people corroborating a story, the thing when you know you are innocent you genuinely believe that you won't be found guilty! My partner was found guilty and was sentenced to 14 years. I believe the defence team underestimated the whole situation. The Grounds for Appeal has been lodged and we have been searching for new evidence to add strength to the appeal - what a mountain to climb! My positive side is keeping its chin up and once we've got my man out i'm going to made a lot of noise about the weaknesses within the legal system - especially regarding hearsay being allowed in court without supporting factual evidence! Wish me luck

Comment

It is very very difficult to find a defence for something that never happened in the first place!!! My man's defence came across as very weak and we were all deemed by the fiscal to be liars- so demoralizing. I received a letter from him today and managed a phone call as well. He seems to be getting more depressed day by day and at the moment cannot contemplate the thought of an appeal as he doesn't want to risk being found guilty again and going back in for a longer spell. Nothing is geared up for any admission that miscarriages of justice happen here.
          Why wait till he's released?? WE need to find some way of making waves now!!!
          They tried to bury us- they didn't know we were seeds

Comment

The problem with waiting to appeal until he feels ready is that he will have to get over the hurdle of an Application for an Extension of Time. They will want to know why he's not appealed before or attempted to. they won't accept "I couldn't face it it".

Not all appeals result in a retrial. If they do and there is a conviction, I believe that time already served would be deducted the sentence.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

The appeal has been lodged already and when I spoke to him about it I tried to encourage him to fight on- I likened it to a surgeon having to tell a patient what his chances of dying on the table are, worst case scenarios and all that. He was literally a larger -than-life, gregarious confident man and to see him reduced to someone who chooses to stay in his cell to avoid the ridicule and conflict just...well.... it's indescribable

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere to turn View Post
                Hi,
                Last Friday my 76 year old dad was wrongly convicted of historic sexual crimes (1970 - 1973)against a woman who was 11-13 at the time. To say my world has fallen apart is an understatement. We have been in turmoil for 16 months since receiving the first phone call from the police. The whole experience has been traumatic, especially our week in court, when the jury despite there being so many inconsistencies and NO evidence whatsoever took very little time to decide he was guilty. He was released on unconditional bail until sentencing on 24th March, when we somehow have to walk him into that courtroom and let them take him off to prison possibly to never come out again.
                How can this happen? We want to appeal but the legal team don't think we have any grounds but are trying to find some.
                I'm sorry for everyone else on here who is waiting for news and I hope you get a better result than we did. I still can't believe that this time last week things were looking positive and we thought our nightmare would finally be over.

I'm really really sorry to hear this. I hope you can find a way to sort all this out. Stay strong.

Comment

hi

Originally posted by karmaiscoming View Post
                  I'm really really sorry to hear this. I hope you can find a way to sort all this out. Stay strong.
                  Likewise so sorry to hear this. It just seems that evidence isn't needed anymore; and worse juries will roll over to avoid having the finger pointed at them. Finally I've seen it leaked out that this will now extend to every crime. Thatcher said she wanted Britain back to Victorian values and this I'm afraid is the reality.

It's not just the justice system that's on the way out, it's the education system and NHS are in just the same mess. I'm hoping we won't have to go back as far as the riots and fatalities that finally got the wheels of change rolling in Victorian times, but it's starting to seem as though we will.

Anyway I really hope some good news comes from somewhere and things are set right for you. Chin up!

Comment

Wrongly Convicted

Hi, just wanted to say I really feel for everyone who has received an unfair conviction, and their families of course. My husband has gone through a similar situation and has started a 4 year sentence for a wrongful conviction. I had no experience of the legal system before and am still shocked and full of anger at so many aspects of how a trial is run. It seems a mediocre legal team and biased judge is all it takes to secure a guilty verdict, even though there is no evidence. Apparently an appeal is not possible without endless amounts of money that I don't have. I am going to become a member of certain organisations such as the Howard League for Penal Reform as at least then I'll feel I'm actually doing something useful, otherwise I feel completely without power. All the public sympathy is with the women and no-one seems to want to admit that a woman could be lying. I wish you all luck and so hope that for those who are appealing everything goes well and that good news will happen.

Comment

hi

Originally posted by ano View Post
                      Hi, just wanted to say I really feel for everyone who has received an unfair conviction, and their families of course. My husband has gone through a similar situation and has started a 4 year sentence for a wrongful conviction. I had no experience of the legal system before and am still shocked and full of anger at so many aspects of how a trial is run. It seems a mediocre legal team and biased judge is all it takes to secure a guilty verdict, even though there is no evidence. Apparently an appeal is not possible without endless amounts of money that I don't have. I am going to become a member of certain organisations such as the Howard League for Penal Reform as at least then I'll feel I'm actually doing something useful, otherwise I feel completely without power. All the public sympathy is with the women and no-one seems to want to admit that a woman could be lying. I wish you all luck and so hope that for those who are appealing everything goes well and that good news will happen.
                      well I'm hoping that may start to change. A post on teletext recently referred to "alledged victims", first time I've seen that. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, some reality particularly an acknowledgment that women certainly can lie about rape and for a variety of reasons would be a good start. Hoping for a change in your situation!

Comment

There are so many of us living in our own individual hells. Can we somehow find a collective voice and put up a unanimous fight against these terrible injustices??

Comment

Wrongly Convicted

Originally posted by AmandaF View Post
                          There are so many of us living in our own individual hells. Can we somehow find a collective voice and put up a unanimous fight against these terrible injustices??
                          I would be so up for that. I've tried to think of the best way forward but haven't got anywhere so far. My MP has been particularly useless. But it would be great to come up with something.

Comment

I haven't even thought about contacting our then MP!! maybe we could start a suggestions thread . In fact- I will do just that. And Nowhere to Turn- where are you in your case?? I hope everyone's maging to bear up.

Comment

Originally posted by ano View Post

If he was legally aided at trial chances are he is eligible for LA for appeal. Choose wisely!
                              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Hi ano

I've just joined and had to reply to you, I hope you don't mind. I understand exactly how you feel. My husband has recently been sentenced to 13 years for something he didn't do. There was no evidence and the judge was biased as well, it seems to be happening all the time. I'm struggling to cope and just feel so empty.
                                This site has really helped me knowing that I'm not alone but it makes me angry to think that people's lives can be wrecked on one persons word.

Comment

Working...
                                X