Solicitor/barraster recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor/barraster recommendations

I went on the website faulselyaccused and got through to an office in cardiff jon wilkins he's asking £1200+vat for a visit in prison and to look at paperwork is this the price and any recomendations we live in east yorkshire

Have you instructed/signed with them? If not then why not look for a solicitor closer to the prison who won't charge an arm and a leg to do a legal visit. Some legals can be done can be done on legal aid depending on the reason for the visit.

I went on a legal visit to Dartmoor recently with a direct-access barrister. Client paid him £500 for that visit. It was a four hour drive there and back for him, as he had to collect me en-route and deliver me back. I don't charge so that was all the client's family paid.

If the client is eligible for legal aid there may well be a good solicitor up that way who can assist. If he/you can afford to pay look at the link in my signature.
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Solicitor/barraster

Originally posted by rights fighter View Post
      have you instructed/signed with them? If not then why not look for a solicitor closer to the prison who won't charge an arm and a leg to do a legal visit. Some legals can be done can be done on legal aid depending on the reason for the visit.

I went on a legal visit to dartmoor recently with a direct-access barrister. Client paid him £500 for that visit. It was a four hour drive there and back for him, as he had to collect me en-route and deliver me back. I don't charge so that was all the client's family paid.

If the client is eligible for legal aid there may well be a good solicitor up that way who can assist. If he/you can afford to pay look at the link in my signature.
      no i hav'nt instructed or signed, i know theres plenty of solicitors but just wanted a recomendation, sorry to be thick when you say look at the link in my signature are you saying chris

Comment

Yes that's the one. If you can afford to pay for an appeal review (doesn't guarantee that there will be grounds, of if there are, they will work) than at least more time can be spent on it. Legal Aid pays for around £300 for the first six hours review. Nobody can get a good handle on a case in 6 hours, let alone find grounds to appeal, unless they are misdirections or missed directions from the judge, which could result in a retrial.

Paying for more time enables the sol to maybe talk to family members, supporters or potential new witnesses, which he wouldn't get if on legal aid.

Comment

Solicitor/baraster

yes that's the one. If you can afford to pay for an appeal review (doesn't guarantee that there will be grounds, of if there are, they will work) than at least more time can be spent on it. Legal aid pays for around £300 for the first six hours review. Nobody can get a good handle on a case in 6 hours, let alone find grounds to appeal, unless they are misdirections or missed directions from the judge, which could result in a retrial.

Paying for more time enables the sol to maybe talk to family members, supporters or potential new witnesses, which he wouldn't get if on legal aid.
          my partner has spoke to chris who said he can't do anything until we get rid of my sons solicitor, our heads are just spinning my son said he received a letter to say his appeal is in and we feel we need a new pair of eyes, were do we go from here if my son lets his solicitor go how does it work, what costs can we expect for an appeal. Are you saying on legal aid which my son was receiveing his solicitor will yet again not get in touch with new witnesses, if a can get a cost then i can get things into place, thankyou for answereing me i know im going on abit

Comment

Originally posted by homeandaway View Post
            my partner has spoke to chris who said he can't do anything until we get rid of my sons solicitor, our heads are just spinning my son said he received a letter to say his appeal is in and we feel we need a new pair of eyes, were do we go from here if my son lets his solicitor go how does it work, what costs can we expect for an appeal. Are you saying on legal aid which my son was receiveing his solicitor will yet again not get in touch with new witnesses, if a can get a cost then i can get things into place, thankyou for answereing me i know im going on abit

I think that maybe Chris said that you would need to de-instruct your current solicitor first, not 'you'll have to get rid of him'

You say that 'his appeal is in'. Do you mean an appeal has already been lodged? If so, your son should get a copy of the Advice on Appeal and the Grounds so he can see why the appeal has been lodged.

If the trial sol/barrister did not call witnesses at trial I very much doubt they would call them for appeal - because evidence that was available at trial but not used is very rarely accepted by the Court of Appeal. CA will rarely accept criticism of trial solicitors and barrister although in rare circumstances they will. As it seems it is trial counsel who has lodged the appeal (if I have understood your correctly) he or she is not going to admit to making mistakes.

Find out first what the grounds are before finding a fresh pair of eyes.

Comment

Solicitor/barraster

i think that maybe chris said that you would need to de-instruct your current solicitor first, not 'you'll have to get rid of him'

you say that 'his appeal is in'. Do you mean an appeal has already been lodged? If so, your son should get a copy of the advice on appeal and the grounds so he can see why the appeal has been lodged.

If the trial sol/barrister did not call witnesses at trial i very much doubt they would call them for appeal - because evidence that was available at trial but not used is very rarely accepted by the court of appeal. Ca will rarely accept criticism of trial solicitors and barrister although in rare circumstances they will. As it seems it is trial counsel who has lodged the appeal (if i have understood your correctly) he or she is not going to admit to making mistakes.

Find out first what the grounds are before finding a fresh pair of eyes.
              sorry the words de-instruct were used i think my son has got an appeal number he's going to ring us cos he's also confussed, i think the barraster mentioned the drugs evidence, but im now panicing because you said before they can't try to rubbish her. Are they just stringing us along cos they know they made mistakes. She also said she didnt know my sons friend, the 1 who didnt testify,they were her friends friend but ive found pictures of her with him and was told they took drugs together before this event happened. Yes it is the trial council who lodged the appeal.

Comment

Ask to see the Advice and Grounds of Appeal then you will know which way they are going.

Comment

Working...
                X