The SOR first visit by plod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SOR first visit by plod

Well, tonight we had the first visit by two plods.
    We understand they have to acknowledge only the guilty plea bargain and sentence handed down although by the time they left, they were offering hub advice on possible avenues of hope and agreed the charges had been duplicitous.
    However there was a rather annoying side to the visit. There was a strong undercurrent of 'if it was to get into the papers who knows what would happen, every sex offender is considered a child abuser by the public'. Well, the only way is if they leaked it so this is their big stick as they told hub he could no longer work in our small business because we sell our goods in full public view and it means we have to be friendly which is the kind of devious behaviour an S.O. engages in. He can't have any job that means he is entering a person's home but he wouldn't anyway for his own protection.
    If he carries out any work they don't approve of, even if it doesn't require a crb check or whatever it is now called, they would have to alert anyone they think could be at risk. The most telling statement was that even when the 5 years are up, it could still leak to the paper and 'imagine if our local paper ran the story!'
    Before the FA by ex employee his work took him into hundreds of homes, elderly, single, families, never the slightest hint of wrongdoing.
    They looked in every drawer and cupboard of every room and next week want to examine his PC as it hasn't been examined before. Hub isn't worried but this is obviously how it is going to be.
    They can sing before they look at mine because only I use it and there is nothing amiss, I just feel anarchy coming on.
    Despite there being no suggestion of assaulting a minor, we have to tell them if one is in our house for 12 hours or more. What a stupid arbitrary time span! Who does that protect? If we spend 7 nights at one place over a year we have to register that address or if we go away for a week we have to let them know.
    Next week when they come back, they have asked if they can look at our evidence to 'learn and see if they can help us' but my instincts tell me there is no altruistic motive for this. On the other hand, what could they gain from seeing it? Maybe my hackles were just up from the thinly veiled threats.
    Hub has told them he will comply but deny and he is not in denial as it never happened. A few times they mentioned things in a friendly way from FAs statement but hub kept saying, yes I would agree if it had happened but it didn't.
    I'll be voting to stay in the EU solely because of their view of the SOR and it looks like we may eventually move to mainland Europe anyway. It seems it is the only way we will ever have peace.

I don't know enough about the machinations of the SOR to offer any practical advice regarding the visits but as a global view I would think that they are a bit stretched at the moment(!) and will concentrate on those they suspect will break the rules.

Hopefully if they are happy with the first visits (and you don't wind them up too much) in future they'll only do the once a year visit(?) and it will just be a matter of keeping up with the paperwork regarding notifications.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Hopefully, apart from coming back to look at PC. Didn't make them a cuppa as I don't want them feeling too welcome and be used as a drop in.

Comment

Originally posted by is there justice? View Post
        Hopefully, apart from coming back to look at PC. Didn't make them a cuppa as I don't want them feeling too welcome and be used as a drop in.
        I wouldn't make them a cuppa either...

Hopefully they'll appear only when the paperwork requires them too. You deserve some peace and quiet.
        Wow... A signature option!

Comment

So sorry ITJ to hear of this visit.

You seem to have them weighed up. But you must feel so angered that you are having to endure this stupid situation.

I suppose you could consider offering them some nice tea with paraquat in it!

Comment

CIGW

If you only knew how many are now on my imaginary list! I'd need a huge teapot!

Joking aside, the SOR is officially not meant to be an additional punitive measure but in the hands of a p'd off plod who might have his own personal problems, it's an invitation to bully.

Against this, and nearer 60 to 50, I am nicely developing a tough anarchistic side which I am becoming quite fond of. Everything is being diaried, how quickly we learn! Yes, I am very angry but if we fester we ruin what is left of our lives. I have a few very supportive friends which makes a huge difference.

The polygraph will have to concentrate on her specific actions like touching him, asking him to rub cream into her back, rubbing hand cream into his hands and asking him to stroke her hair to relax her etc. it will be 'did she ...?' Followed by 'did you ever?' Just facts, no interpretation otherwise the being in denial accusation may come up. Also we are all being tested on what happened on the day of the trial re our legal team.

It's costing a fortune but we just hope at some stage it will be acceptable.
            The government are using polygraphs against suspected benefit cheats and sex offenders and there are lawyers campaigning to bring them in to general use.

Comment

Forgot to add, hub had to go to plod station with business account details. They photo every time but this time took a profile photo too which no-one did before. The lady said it was a special request by mr Bully Plod and yes, it was a bit unusual. We have his number!

Comment

You have to remember the 'other side of the coin'. Register police officers have to visit some utterly revolting people who have no place in civilised society. They have to visit "people" who have committed the most horrendous crimes and who wish to continue to do so. It is not up to them to decide who is guilty or innocent.

Because there is a conviction (and even more so when one has admitted guilt under whatever circumstances) then they have to do their job and be seen to do their job. Can you imagine the furore if they believed a truly guilty person was innocent and didn't bother visiting, and there was re-offending?

It's always better to be 'nice' to the visiting officers. Yes make them tea. Yes give them biscuits. If they wish to check the bedroom, attic, garage etc then let them, with good grace. There have been times when they have actually found real victims in such people's homes, hidden away. They aren't bothered about a bit of dust or a messy carpet or whatever.

Co-operate and smile nicely, remember their job can be utterly awful due to the many guilty people they have to contend with. If they turn up in uniform you should be able to request them to come in plain clothes.

If you are awkward with them, they can be 100% more awkward back - just like probation.
                People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I have no problems with them doing their job whatsoever. However they are aware of the case, the low level charges and the failed attempt to vacate the plea.
                  I have no problem with them looking around the house but fail to see why they want to know what sex toys we have/haven't.
                  Also it's strange that no one else, inc probation officer, is worried about hub working with me. I'm pretty sure I recognise an unpleasant person when I meet them although the other one seemed ok.
                  Anyway, we don't have a choice other than to put up with it but there will be no tea or biscuits I'm afraid.

Comment

What is the SOR please?

Comment

Sex Offender register - I believe.

Comment

Yes SOR= Sex Offenders Register
                        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                          Yes SOR= Sex Offenders Register
                          Job creation and power delivery.
                          Wow... A signature option!

Comment

LLO.............What is your definition of Social Worker!!!???

Comment

Nigel Rees has collected much graffiti and published them in a few books. One (of many) which made me giggle was:
                              In a University toilets, written above the loo rolls, "Sociology Degrees - please take one!"
                              "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Working...
                              X