Frequency of Accusations on the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency of Accusations on the News

Been thinking about this one, we have seen a huge increase in 'celebrities' being accused of historical sexual offences from the 60's, 70's, 80's over the past couple of years, it would appear the majority of which appear to end in a Not Guilty.

I may be very much mistaken but I don't think the same is happening abroad, maybe I have missed something but I cant find references to the same in France, Germany, US, Italy etc etc.

Could it be that these countries don't have the same sort of compensation scheme as the UK, or am I just cynical?
    Still here

Good thinking!

Without actually looking it up I am certain that most other countries have statue of limitations in force so it it not possible to pursue these historical accusations in the first place.

I am also certain that Germany, at least, does not offer financial compensation to those who have been proved to have suffered from sexual abuse but are instead offered counselling or therapy.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
      Good thinking!

Without actually looking it up I am certain that most other countries have statue of limitations in force so it it not possible to pursue these historical accusations in the first place.

I am also certain that Germany, at least, does not offer financial compensation to those who have been proved to have suffered from sexual abuse but are instead offered counselling or therapy.

Good it's not just me then, being offered counselling or therapy I very much agree with, but cash is an abomination!
      Still here

Comment

2 States in America - I think Alaska and Minnesota dropped the compensation and the rate of sexual abuse/assault allegations fell by a staggering 95%!!!!! I believe that France doesn't offer compensation either....
        "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

That's very interesting, the correlation between the compensation being dropped to the drop in cases.

For me, if I were to report my ex, the money wouldn't matter. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice, but it wouldn't be the outcome I'd be after. The outcome I'd rather have as a survivor would be for him to realise how wrong it was to do what he did, and that it wasn't my fault, but his. The money just wouldn't do that for me.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying, just get rid of the compensation and offer counselling instead. It would help the survivors so much more, as long as they don't put a limit on the number of sessions you can have.

Just goes to show how many cases aren't genuine.

Comment

Excellent suggestion. I have a vague recollection that the current government was going to abolish compensation but did a U turn and backed down....
            "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Originally posted by myhome View Post
              Excellent suggestion. I have a vague recollection that the current government was going to abolish compensation but did a U turn and backed down....
              That would be Clegg putting the mockers on that.
              Still here

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                I may be very much mistaken but I don't think the same is happening abroad,

Could it be that these countries don't have the same sort of compensation scheme as the UK, or am I just cynical?
                Yes. I've looked into this a little (I live abroad, sort of) and most countries (in Europe anyway) require some sort of proof a crime has been committed, or at the every least, credible witnesses. Plus, yes, the compensation thing.

Comment

"Those famous rich folks benefited when times were good so it's only right that they give some back when times are bad..."

There's a hint of irony in that statement which I made up as a mix of another recent statement made by Government...

Better to nail a rich guy and relieve him of his wealth than nail a poor guy and have the state paying out. Didn't take very long at all for that realisation to sink in and when the larger sums of money from rich guys, as oppose to CICA, started doing the rounds the allegations really got under way.

I have no idea of the truth behind them to be honest. I'd have had a statute of limitations and just left the compensation in place. People who are genuinely raped could probably benefit ever so slightly from the money and I'd prefer that they do benefit even if it means others who make false claims also benefit.

Unfortunately we're living in times of restricted finances (for most) so the attractiveness is there. Couple that with a very determined stance that false accusers won't be prosecuted as well as the many changes in the law recently and there is a breeding ground for false accusations. Things should always be done in stages so that the results can be monitored, unfortunately there is a free-for-all going on just now and the results of the many changes cannot possibly be individually monitored to see which ones are working and which aren't.
                  Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Nail a rich aging celeb and the accuser is more likely to get a lot more money than from the tax payer funded CICA. However if a potential false accuser doesn't know a rich guy then they will nail whoever to bag a few thousand quick all courtesy of the tax payer.

I've found on giving talks around the country that what enrages most people is that THEY are paying for, not only the investigations, Social Services involvement, time spent in prison but to top it off, rewarding the people who falsely accuse others in "compensation"........
                    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

the possible break-up of the family and everything it can entail , the overall effects on the children and the frequent long-term mental health issues of the falsely accused (and possibly his loved ones)? (Not to speak of the break-down of trust of 'the state' as represented by the police and the judiciary).

Comment

Working...
                      X