Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just 'the luck of the draw' or can precautions be taken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just 'the luck of the draw' or can precautions be taken?

Reading some of the posts on this site make those not accused wonder whether they could ever be the victim of such a horrendous crime. One of the questions surrounding false rape claims is how one can prevent them and the extent that they can be prevented. Some people are just plain unlucky while others notice flags before the accusation is made?

Whats your take on this? Is it plain luck, not choosing carefully or a bit of both?

Not sure - as a mum of teenage sons I'm really concerned about how vulnerable they are to false accusations. Before attending a music festival I'd given my older son (16) a lecture about casual encounters with unknown girls who later might cause him trouble - he listened but I think he thought I was being over dramatic. Then this complete fruit loop put his little brother through the trauma of a FA! Now he's got a great relationship going with his first girlfriend who is also his best friend - but I don't think he'll ever go for one night stands - too risky. The thing is I'm sure my younger son didn't even have sex with his FA - there was more evidence pointing at her reasons for making her claims up than there was for it actually happening.

Both of my lads seem to attract attention from girls - but don't really go looking for it as far as I can see. I think teenage girls' obsession with social media, their desperation to act like grown ups before they are emotionally mature and the generally more casual approach to hooking up without being a "couple" is part of the problem. I've got plenty of friends with teenage girls for daughters and they really worry about their predatory approach to boys and their apparent obsession with keeping up with their peers. I think when we were that age we were so much more innocent and less exposed - but we also had more to do. Youth clubs, discos, skating rinks - more opportunities to "play out" - now its social media, xbox or street corners! Even getting drunk seems lame when there are drugs so readily available to them. Think the word of wisdom is don't be flattered into messing with girls who you don't really know, and give the suspected bunny boilers a wide berth as they start young these days! My lads are dazed and confused by it all - sounds boring but they are safer that way and want to be in a "real" relationship or single. Can't blame them really.

Comment

Working...
    X