Compensation claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation claims

Yawn.......so sick of reading about these FA's and their money grabbing ways. Surely this can't all be about money?!!!!

I have experienced sexual abuse/ assaults in many different guises. Never once has it occurred to me that there could be financial 'reward' in this, nor would I want it. To be totally honest I didn't even know this existed till I joined this forum.

On the other hand,there are genuine people out there. Why shouldn't they be compensated for their anxiety, depression, PTSD etc time off work that they genuinely need??! A friend of mine off sick from her nurses job is currently unable to work due to a violent rape. To be honest I don't see her ever being able to work again. She will be lucky to be alive a year from now I feel. The money could never give back what she has lost. Jus makes me sick to think that if you have been raped that financial gain would ever come into it.

A far better solution than financial compensation would be to offer a voucher which can be exchanged for a course of therapeutic counselling.

This may well be of more benefit to those genuinely suffering than cash and would discourage those false accusations that are motivated by financial gain.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

That's a great idea CH. The genuine cases would definately need professional help because you can't heal from this without it. The FA's would then have no financial gain, so would hopefully deter those just after the money.

Unfortunately though, offering vouchers might not deter the FA's who want to ruin someone elses's life in an act of just being vindictive or spiteful.

I really think the whole system needs to be over hauled. There are genuine cases that don't get reported for whatever reason. I feel a course of counselling should be compulsory before it gets as far as the accused being interviewed and charged. At least then, hopefully, the FA's get help before they ruin another person's life and the chance to retract the allegation before it gets too far. The genuine cases will then have the support they need to take it further as well as the help they need to recover from an awful crime.

I agree with WG, the money wouldn't matter to me either, I'd be after justice, and wouldn't settle for anything less. The FA's make it so much harder for genuine cases to come forward, but that's just my opinion.

Of course, all this is just wishful thinking I know. We all deserve a fairer system.

Comment

Hi welshgirl - sorry to hear you have your own deamons - I'm not dismissing the need for genuine victims to seek and receive support. It's just on here everyone on here is seeing this through the eyes of the falsely accused - ie they are the victims of crime and the fact those committing the crime against them may be paid 1000's for doing it whilst they are having their lives ruined is the point. No offense intended for the real victims of rape - I hope your friend finds some help to try and survive her ordeal.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, all very valid points raised.

Casehardened I think your 'voucher' idea for counselling is excellent. As Music Lady stated you cannot recover without some form of professional help, so I feel this would be exactly what the 'real' victims of rape would most benefit from. Obviously of no use to the FA either! Lack of monetary gains may well put some people off FA'in in the first place. Although this is still such a crazy notion for me to entertain, that there are people out there crazy enough to lie about such things for money! My only concern with this idea would be any practical expenses needed for day to day living, if the person was unwell enough to return to work etc a voucher would not help with the practicalities of surviving day to day.

Tiger mum thank you for hoping my friend gets through her ordeal. She is about to become an in-patient I feel. The effects of her rape are so devastating and all consuming that the future looks pretty bleak to be honest. I have never discussed compensation with her but no amount of money could compensate her for the life she lost. A job she loved, a marriage put under immense strain, a pregnancy lost with no hope of having another, physical and psychological injuries too many to list. After reading various posts on this forum though I do see that a lot of these things are experienced by those who have been falsely accused too.

I am sorry to hear about your son's ordeal, I hope justice prevails in his case. My eldest son is 17 years old, and I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be placed in your position not knowing how things are going to turn out, his fate in others' hands, awful. I have read a lot of your posts and I must say that he is lucky to have such a supportive mum in his corner. Look out that's all I can say!

Comment

So sorry about your friend WG. She's lucky to have a friend like you in her corner. I really hope she does recover from this.

I hope you're ok as well. Like you, I still don't understand how anyone could lie about something so serious and devastating just for monetary gains. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, that is to be FA'd or to be a survivor of such a devasting crime.

As WG has said, everyone on here is going through a traumatic experience whether they're FA'd or a survivor of the crime. It's good to see so many supportive people.

Comment

Music Lady thank you for your support, it is much appreciated as always

I am good at the moment thanks for asking. I hope things are good with you too? How is the counselling going?

Hopefully my friend will make it through, she needs admitting for her own safety at the minute. So tragic how this has ripped her life apart.

Comment

Thank you for your support as well WG. I'm up and down at the moment thanks. I've PM'd you.

Comment

I can't PM you WG as your inbox is full

Comment

Sorry ML deleted some now

Comment

Working...
                    X