X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back online!

Hi everyone,

We'd like to apologise for the recent downtime on the site.

Someone decided that we would be a good target to hack and so decided to deface and disable the site.

The attack was random - a vulnerability in some vbulletin (the forum software) code was discovered recently and the hackers used this to deface many forums across many sites running affected versions of vbulletin. Unfortunately, we were running one of these versions.

The board has been upgraded and the vulnerability has been fixed so we are now back and running.

Please note:
    1. After extensive checking, there is no evidence to suggest that the hackers were able to obtain any personal details of any users. Personal details are stored in an encrypted format meaning that even if the raw data was extracted from the database, it would be meaningless. However, there is no way to be absolutely 100% certain what the hackers were able to do, so it is recommended that you change your password on your account. To do this, go to "Forum actions" at the top, then click "Edit Profile". If you use the same username and password combination on other sites, it is also recommended that you change those passwords too. We apologise for any inconvenience that this will cause.
    2. I've done a lot of work to try to ensure that everything is back as it was before we got hacked, but there is a huge amount of data on here and it's easy to miss something somewhere. I've run every automated data integrity check I have but if any of the data itself has been modified the checks wont pick these up. Thus, please let me or a moderator know if you spot anything that looks wrong or different and we'll get it fixed as soon as we can. Thanks!

We apologise once again for the disruption.

Best regards,

Phil (Site owner and chief techie)
    I'd diet but I'm not in the moooo-d

Well done and thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

Can I echo WGO's thanks for your hard work (and sleepless nights!)

What a pity these 'hackers' (I can think of several less polite terms) can't put their undoubted abilities towards the common good as you have done.
      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by webmoo View Post
        please let me or a moderator know if you spot anything that looks wrong or different and we'll get it fixed as soon as we can. Thanks!
        Hi Phil,

Member Sparks has noted that the log-in/out boxes have disappeared & was logged in automatically (I have already set Google Chrome to this option so didn't notice)

I have just noticed that I am presently unable to edit posts; the 'clock' just keeps whirring round!
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thank you for getting the site back up

Has felt like I'd lost a limb over the last few days.
          The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

St Augustine

Comment

So pleased. It wasn't because I hit the 'delete' button was it?
            Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
              Hi Phil,

Member Sparks has noted that the log-in/out boxes have disappeared & was logged in automatically (I have already set Google Chrome to this option so didn't notice)

I have just noticed that I am presently unable to edit posts; the 'clock' just keeps whirring round!
              The way I have managed to log in is by clicking 'Reply to quote' - then the log in box comes up. From there you can get onto the forum without necessarily replying to quote. I've also lost my 'edit' functions.

Comment

that took some doing to get back in! It's all changed as well .............
                And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Phew........ it's back.

I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms (from the forum) as well as the other stresses relating to the FA.

Thanks to all who have contributed to bringing this lifeline back to us.

Comment

Moo says that he will get on to it tonight.

ps - Moo - the emoticons don't work - we need out bananas!!
                    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by RFLH View Post
                      Moo says that he will get on to it tonight.

ps - Moo - the emoticons don't work - we need out bananas!!

Sadly I couldn't find a picture of a banana coming out, at least, not one I would be willing to post here...

Headers fixed - you should all have login boxes back.

Editing now works for me - please let me know if it still doesn't for you.

I've fixed a couple of bugs in the permissions and done a bit of other tidying up.

I've had to disable the vbstopforumspam ad-on temporarily (I've had to disable all add-ins as something is still not right) so we're a little more open to spammers temporarily, but I'm still working on this. When I've figured out how to fix the plugins I'll re-enable this and we should be back to normal.

Thanks for your kind words. It really helps with my motivation to hear that this site genuinely helps people.
                      Last edited by webmoo; 23 September 2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

And I've now got the anti-spam mod working again.

I think that's it - I think we're back in full working order!

Time for bed...

Comment

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
                          So pleased. It wasn't because I hit the 'delete' button was it?
                          Now I know why it all went belly-up! Grrr...

Comment

Originally posted by webmoo View Post
                            Now I know why it all went belly-up! Grrr...
                            Oh no....... It was me then.

Thanks for returning and taking the time to fix things.
                            Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
                              Oh no....... It was me then.

Thanks for returning and taking the time to fix things.
                              Hehe!

No probs. Am glad I got it back online ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X