Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this taking me?

Where is this taking me?

Once upon a time I was a strong, independent and confident woman, but all that came to an end on November 12th 2012. My sister told me I was a gibbering wreck right up till Christmas...I think she may have mentioned “incoherent” too... For several weeks I still had that strength and even had some positive moments, where I fostered the ridiculous notions that a) I would win, and b) that I could continue a “normal” life whilst waiting for the process to end.

Somewhere between then and now I developed into this – and this is how I see myself. Think of an old hazelnut. My skin is my hard outer shell which is uniformly about half an inch thick. Inside is hollow and I am shrivelled. In the cavity formed by my hip bones is the tiny dried up, lifeless, wrinkled kernel of emotions and love of life I used to have, hanging suspended in the void. There is nothing else there. In the space where my lungs used to be, is a pressure cooker – its spout issuing forth high pressure steam – on the point of being no longer containable and bursting, erupting out of my chest. There is nothing else there either.

I call my body and my one remaining feeling “My Dead Pressure Cooker.” I have changed into this – a walking shell that looks just the same on the outside, that automatically gets up in the mornings and walks the dogs and goes to work and talks to people and then comes home and lights the fire and feeds the fish and walks the dogs and goes to bed....

...and what will happen when the pressure cooker bursts.....?
    "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

quite a long way ...

Comment

Originally posted by myhome View Post
      quite a long way ...
      Sorry Myhome, after discussion with the other posters on this thread, I have also removed my replies
      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
        Sorry Myhome, after discussion with the other posters on this thread, I have also removed my replies
        Thank you everyone - I had logged in this morning to ask for the whole thread to be removed........

Comment

I like your analogy, Myhome. I wish I didn't know how you feel, but I do.
          Like you, I have a carapace. The shell is what I present to the outside world. The fun-loving, clever, successful, busy working Mum.
          Inside my carapace I am like a tiny, pale, paper-skinned maggot, wriggling around for direction. I am raw and vulnerable.
          I love my carapace. It keeps me safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron View Post
            I like your analogy, Myhome. I wish I didn't know how you feel, but I do.
            Like you, I have a carapace. The shell is what I present to the outside world. The fun-loving, clever, successful, busy working Mum.
            Inside my carapace I am like a tiny, pale, paper-skinned maggot, wriggling around for direction. I am raw and vulnerable.
            I love my carapace. It keeps me safe.
            Saffron - that is so true - I sometimes call it "my coping canopy" I pull it down when I have to be strong for someone else - sending you hugs

Comment

Working...
            X