Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Court date looming - will there be a Jimmy Saville effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court date looming - will there be a Jimmy Saville effect?

I was accused or gay rape in January 2011. I had a court date set in August 2012 but the jury was dismissed half way through the second day due to a witness issue. Anyway the new date is 5th November and in wondering if the recent news of jimmy saville will effect the jury's views? My accuser was 16, nearly 17 when he alleged the rape took place but he told the police he was 15 and 6 months.

I have a good barrister who has just become QC and has a god reputation. He says the jury can only make their decision based on the facts put before them, but I can't help think recent press coverage must make my situation worse. What do people think?

I think a jury is more likely to be biased by these news events if your story was very similar to Jimmy Saville's.
    In your case, if the accused was 16/17, then the allegation you're answering to isn't child sex abuse

You can't ever second guess a jury. Legally, a jury must reach a decision based on the facts presented. However, I understand your fears as juries are made up of human beings.
    "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

I would tend to be persuaded that Saville will have an affect on all sex crimes but unless you look/act like him I wouldn't be too concerned. It will be your defence representatives job to show that you are NOT a guilty party. You of course, being innocent, will need their help in ensuring that your innocence is shown to the jury.
      Wow... A signature option!

Comment

I would agree with your QC windmill - the jury will make their decision based on the facts.

Comment

No effect whatsoever!!

You will think the Jury will label you, but they are all like you and me and quite switched on!

I believe in the British Justice system.

Comment

I'm with broken o the jury thing
            Still here

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to say, that 1 week ago we was really concerned that the Saville story may influence the jury... speaking to them afterwards { 6 waited outside the court house} they reassured us, that it didnt even come into their heads when deciding on the NOT GUILTY verdict ....Keep faith in the knowledge that the jurers are normal everyday people like us.xxxx

Comment

How's it gone Windmill?
                People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Update

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                  How's it gone Windmill?
                  Thank you for asking Rights Fighter! At the end of a bizzare week and not sure how I feel. Got to court on Monday to find new evidence had been presented to my legal team the previous Friday at 3.30 pm! Now please bare in mind ... I was arrested in January 2011, so they have had 22 months to sort this! So at one point I thought this would be pursponed! Anyway once we read it we found some of it relating to indecent images actually helped my case. Another report it was agreed prosecution wouldn't use. They also presented a third version of the indictment, which i had to re- plea to!

So after that delay and legal arguments, jury was signed in at 3.30 and then sent home!

Tuesday was delayed by the judge stuck in traffic and more legal arguements and believe it or not another disclosure about one if their witnesses regarding more bas character. Again helpful to my case but all the delays are driving me insane.

Press coverage started in morning and evening local papers.

Wednesday went ok, the IT experts stood in dock, very unclear, and the prosecution barrister also didn't seem to understand the issues, he seemed to have completely confused everyone.

Thursday court didn't sit due to counsels other commitments.

Today (Friday) I have my evidence. Was difficult. Prosecution asked very inappropriate questions about gay sex. I said I wasn't into anal sex so he said he didn't understand, if I didn't have anal sex "what else could you possibly do??!" My barrister said he was going to intervene but my answer was good and out him in his place so it seems to be ok!

In summary, my legal team (who are fantastic !) seem to think its gone as well as we could possibly hope!

So early next week closing statements and summary then a decision.

My barrister did day the political environment with JS and now David Cameron talking about trying to avoid a "witch hunt" against gay men doesn't really help!

Anyway, apologies for my spelling errors and thank you everyone who has supported me this far! This site offers so much!

Comment

Thanks for the update hon. This weekend might be difficult due to the verdict next week. I do hope your barrister continues to shine and does a brilliant closing speech.

Take care

Comment

You were concerned about a possible 'Jimmy Saville' effect but I think the 'Steve Messham' retraction will be far more relevant to the jury and what a 'Mess' he has got himself into!

Hope you can relax a bit over the weekend....
                      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Only if those reading have got half a brain cell.....

How's you CH? We've not 'spoken' in a long while!

Comment

Keep it up Windmill. Try and keep busy this weekend. As RF says it will likely be extremely tough but believe it or not, youll get there...
                          "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                            How's you CH? We've not 'spoken' in a long while!
                            Fine thanks, they say it's good to talk......
                            'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thank you everyone. Just sat watching the news and I think your right, maybe the jury will be mindful of the false allegations made by Steve Messham. It will be interesting to see what my Barrister says on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X